Who are your top 3 favorite power forwards?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Who are your top 3 favorite power forwards?

Post by goon attack »

You know... those forwards who could score, hit, fight...

Here are my picks:

1. Rick Tocchet
2. Brendan Shanahan
3. Terry O'Reilly
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Who are your top 3 favorite power forwards?

Post by Toasted Oates »

Iginla
Shanahan
Tkachuk
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Neely
Shanahan
Kevin Stevens
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

Great question! I looked up a few lists, and they were consistently Iginla, Neely, Lindros, Tkachuk, Shanahan, Howe. These are the forgotten - none of them ranked in the top lists! So, here are three of MY favorites!

Theo Fleury
Scott Mellanby
Claude Lemieux

And a few others I considered: Dino Cicarelli, Dave Andreychuk, Ian Laperriere, Matt Barnaby, Chris Simon, Sean Avery

jeffwilson.it
Prospect
Prospect

Post by jeffwilson.it »

Shanahan
Neely
Wendel Clark

Honourable mentions:
Backes
Tocchet
Lindros (from the hash marks in maybe the best I've ever seen)
Messier

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Tkachuk by far. He's the reason I'm a Blues fan. My favorite player growing up by far.

Backes will always tug at the heart strings. He's gotta be in my top 3 favorites.

#3? Ehh. that's tough. Some lists online include Ovechkin as a power forward: dude can check and he doesn't shy away from contact so if he counts he'd be my #3.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

WaukeeBlues wrote:#3? Ehh. that's tough. Some lists online include Ovechkin as a power forward: dude can check and he doesn't shy away from contact so if he counts he'd be my #3.
To me, that's stretching the definition of a power forward. Power forwards, to me, are the guys like Tkachuk, Neely, Shanahan, Tocchet, C. Lemieux, Mellanby, K. Stevens that actually went to the front of the net and worked that area. Able to take the punishment in front of the crease, give out the punishment in front of the crease (not needing to skate to hit - *cough* Ovechkin *cough*), while having the skill to score while handing out or taking that same punishment. Of course, with the rules shift this century the power forward role is changing.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Wendel Clark, while I hate him since he was on the hated Leafs, was a total effin' badass... right up there with Tocchet and Gary Roberts, IMO.

I liked Neely too, but he didn't seem to be as great as a fighter as some of the others.

I loved Shanahan because he had a big presence out there. He wasn't the best fighter, but he was willing, which I loved. He was certainly above average with the fists, but he was never in the elite category of fighters.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:#3? Ehh. that's tough. Some lists online include Ovechkin as a power forward: dude can check and he doesn't shy away from contact so if he counts he'd be my #3.
To me, that's stretching the definition of a power forward. Power forwards, to me, are the guys like Tkachuk, Neely, Shanahan, Tocchet, C. Lemieux, Mellanby, K. Stevens that actually went to the front of the net and worked that area. Able to take the punishment in front of the crease, give out the punishment in front of the crease (not needing to skate to hit - *cough* Ovechkin *cough*), while having the skill to score while handing out or taking that same punishment. Of course, with the rules shift this century the power forward role is changing.
Can't believe I forgot about Gary Roberts! Goon mentioned him, he'd be in my #3 for sure.

Yea you wonder how much longer there will be a "true" power forward classification. I still think it can be done. You just have to be faster (both on your skates and with the puck) than in years past but the physical presence along the boards, in the corners, in front of the net, I think it's still there.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

StL_Dan
Prospect
Prospect

Post by StL_Dan »

Backes
Neely
Shanny

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

1) Shanny - One of my favorite players of all time. 600+ goal and 2000+ PIM...the only player to ever do this. Great, great player.
2) Neely - It's a shame his career was hampered by knee issues. He was awesome.
3) Tkachuk - Best USA-born power forward.

Interesting to toss in The Rocket Richard. He put up a decent amount of PIM's for a high scoring forward. Gordie Howe was tough as nails too. Iginla would drop the gloves with just about anyone. Wendel Clark, Lindros, Tocchet, Bertuzzi in his hayday was a badass.
And Ovechkin, while not your typical "stand in front of the net" power forward, is as tough as anyone and throws his body around like a wrecking ball...he's a blast to watch.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/