Lead-up to the trade deadline thread

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Lead-up to the trade deadline thread

Post by gaijin »

Toasted Oates wrote:If Doug can get one or more of his mistakes (21, 71, 20) off the books, I'll be happy. That is, I'll be as happy as a fan of this team can be.
Hard to argue with that. This year, I think your avatar is about the best we can hope for. Anyone but Nashville. No more teams younger than the Blues should win their first Cup before we do.

*edit- I'm not sure whether to include the Golden Knights in that category or not (since it is clear the Blues are not challenging for a Cup this year). Being their first year of existence, if they were to win the Cup it would be an even bigger kick in the junk for the Blues (who have been around 50 years longer with no Cups), but at the same time it would make a fantastic, almost Hollywood-like storyline- a team of offcasts and rejects working together to overcome all odds and win the championship against established teams. Oh no wait- that movie whas already been made. Several times. In several sports. Still, it would be a good way to solidify a permanent fan base in Vegas, which is good for the health of the NHL in general.

Also, the Vegas fanbase doesn't seem to have developed that insufferable sense of superiority and entitlement that the Nashville fanbase seems to have.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Devils acquire Michael Grabner from Rangers in exchange for a 2nd-Round pick and a prospect Yegor Rykov.

First-ever trade between the Devils and Rangers. :shock:

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Some analysts are speculating that St. Louis would be a good fit for Mike Hoffman, since he is not a pending UFA this year.

I could go for that, provided we don't make a stupid deal. I would say we need more help at RW (Tarasenko, Berglund, Jaskin, Thorburn, Blais) than at LW (Steen, Schwartz, Fabbri, Barbashev, Upshall, Soshnikov) but Hoffman is eaily an upgrade over almost all of those names.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I'm still surprised about the Rangers. I really thought they were going to give it a go this year for the "last time" but hey, if their management and ownership just doesn't see it and is sick of playing the same tune, well...

If they're truly rebuilding this is a good trade: pick and prospect for decent player. I'm curious to see what the Rangers get for Nash and if they decide to also trade one of their other core players.

As for the Blues I'm just disheartened right now. This is NOT the time to be falling into this kind of a slump. Don't know where the blame should go (Yeo, the players, bad GM roster construction, combination of all 3...) but whatever it is losing isn't acceptable and this team needs to get going.

For the Blues at the deadline I'd personally like to see some defense depth with Bortuzzo out now as well and Hoffman would be great, IF the price was right.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

-I'm surprised by the Rangers too.

-I've heard something along the lines of Berglund + Sobotka + Fabbri for Hoffman + somebody else (forget who, but Hoffman is the main part). I think I'd be on board with that.

-I just got a notification from The Score that Blues are 1 of 7 teams in on Brassard.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

I'm meh on Brassard. He's scored over 20 goals once in his career. Although to be fair, like Hoffman, he's been on a pretty bad Senators team this year.

So I don't know. If the price was right and it enables us to ditch some dead weight, I probably wouldn't be against it.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Lousy leadership, this team plays for individuals and they do a crap job of that. They won’t go anywhere until they start playing as a team for the logo on the front. I’m all about trades to unload deadweight and I’d be more than happy to take picks back if that’s what has to happen. Turn those picks into a 1st rounder and bring up a bunch of kids in March to get their feet wet. And for crissake fire Yeo and get a coach who can properly work with a young roster!
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

The Rangers realized they likely weren't going to be a playoff team mid-January. For the past few years, they have gone the route of trying to make deals to improve the team and over-paying UFAs in the off-season. Part of this is trying to win with Lundqvist whose now 35. It hasn't worked. Sather and Gorton were actually honest about the fact it hasn't worked and have to do something different. The flaw with this is teams won't give up as much in trades knowing you have thrown in the towel and are looking to move guys anyway.

I remember a guy saying 2 years ago the Rangers should consider doing something with Lundqvist (in spite of how illogical it sounded), because the Rangers window to contend for a Cup has likely closed and holding onto Lundqvist for the next 6 seasons and getting nothing when they could trade him for a significant return could help set them up for a better future. Looks like that guy was right.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

theohall wrote:The Rangers realized they likely weren't going to be a playoff team mid-January. For the past few years, they have gone the route of trying to make deals to improve the team and over-paying UFAs in the off-season. Part of this is trying to win with Lundqvist whose now 35. It hasn't worked. Sather and Gorton were actually honest about the fact it hasn't worked and have to do something different. The flaw with this is teams won't give up as much in trades knowing you have thrown in the towel and are looking to move guys anyway.

I remember a guy saying 2 years ago the Rangers should consider doing something with Lundqvist (in spite of how illogical it sounded), because the Rangers window to contend for a Cup has likely closed and holding onto Lundqvist for the next 6 seasons and getting nothing when they could trade him for a significant return could help set them up for a better future. Looks like that guy was right.
I said exactly that about Lundqvist

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:
theohall wrote:The Rangers realized they likely weren't going to be a playoff team mid-January. For the past few years, they have gone the route of trying to make deals to improve the team and over-paying UFAs in the off-season. Part of this is trying to win with Lundqvist whose now 35. It hasn't worked. Sather and Gorton were actually honest about the fact it hasn't worked and have to do something different. The flaw with this is teams won't give up as much in trades knowing you have thrown in the towel and are looking to move guys anyway.

I said exactly that about Lundqvist
Then you're the guy.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Penguins acquire Brassard, Ottawa prospect Vincent Dunn ( :shock: ), Vegas prospect Tobias Lindberg, and Ottawa's third-round pick in the 2018 Draft.

Ottawa received Pittsburgh defenseman Ian Cole, goalie prospect Filip Gustavsson, its first-round pick in the 2018 draft, and its third-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft.

Vegas received Pittsburgh forward Ryan Reaves and a fourth-round pick in the 2018 draft that belonged to the Vancouver Canucks.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I feel like Army is going to try to make a big move to get the team on the right track this season when that's probably the last thing he should be doing.

Throwing this ridiculous idea out there:

From NYR: Ryan McDonagh, Mats Zuccarello, 5th round
From STL: Robby Fabbri, Jordan Schmaltz, Jay Bouwmeester, 2nd round

The main objective is to get Bouwmeester the hell out of town, but the secondary objective is to get some frikkin' leadership. McDonagh is a more qualified leader than Pietrangelo. The guy took his team the SCF and they were very competitive even though they lost in 5 games. It's no secret both guys (plus pretty much every other Ranger not named Hank or J.T.) are on the block.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

As long as we are throwing crazy stuff at the wall.

Pietrangelo for Erik Karlsson - with whatever added stuff.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

theohall wrote:As long as we are throwing crazy stuff at the wall.

Pietrangelo for Erik Karlsson - with whatever added stuff.
Now we're talking.
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The rangers landed some haul for Nash, holy crap. Good move by Army not biting on that insane asking price and condolences to the bruins on getting fleeced.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

I don't get it. Boston is secure in a playoff position. Rick Nash isn't the kind of player that will help them compete with Tampa Bay in the playoffs. So what the heck was that all about other than salary cap? Giving up younger players to add one expensive player doesn't make sense. On top of that - Nash is a UFA - unless there is some trade and sign deal going on in this.

Not impressed at all with what Don Sweeney has done as Bruins GM since taking over in 2015.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Seems like a helluva lot to give up for a has-been. Shocked by this one. Not because the Bruins landed Nash, but because of what they gave up for him.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

What GM in their right mind gives up 3 players and 2 reasonably high draft picks for 1 rental player?

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

A buddy of mine just texted me that he saw on Twitter Army is talking to Snow about a possible major trade. He could be just screwing with me but I’m immediately thinking Tavares :shock: Anyone hear anything about this?

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

glen a richter wrote:A buddy of mine just texted me that he saw on Twitter Army is talking to Snow about a possible major trade. He could be just screwing with me but I’m immediately thinking Tavares :shock: Anyone hear anything about this?
We could trade 10-15 players from our roster for Tavares and I would still be happy.