GDT Game 64: 2/27/18|7:00 PM CT|@ Wild|NBCSN/KMOX

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT Game 64: 2/27/18|7:00 PM CT|@ Wild|NBCSN/KMOX

Post by theohall »

SAINT PAUL, Minn. -- The St. Louis Blues are slumping at the worst time and their rock-solid playoff hopes have taken a serious hit as coach Mike Yeo searches for answers.

It's a scenario that Minnesota Wild fans have seen before, most notably when Yeo coached there and a second-half swoon happened seemingly every season.

Heading into Tuesday's meeting with the Wild, the Blues have lost six in a row, including being shut out in back-to-back games. That leaves Yeo, and the rest of the team, desperate for answers as their playoff chances have dropped to a season low.

"When you're winning and playing well, you have confidence. When you're losing and finding ways to lose, obviously confidence goes away a little bit," Yeo said. "We've got to focus on the small picture, what the next game is and not look at the big picture, not worry about what's going on with other teams and other scores."

It's familiar territory for Yeo, who is in his first full season behind the Blues' bench.

Two seasons ago at about this time, things were clipping along for the Wild before a horrendous swoon in January caused the team to fire him in February.

Yeo took over the Blues late in the season a year ago and coached them to an upset of the Wild in round one of the playoffs last spring. But after looking like a sure-fire playoff team two months ago, St. Louis has struggled mightily.

The Blues' lineup got a different look on Monday as well, after they sent forward Paul Stastny to the Winnipeg Jets at the trade deadline in exchange for a 2018 first-round pick and the rights to forward Erik Foley.

St. Louis lost in Nashville on Sunday and heads into another unfriendly Central Division opponent's building on Tuesday, so Yeo is preaching enthusiasm on his bench.

The Blues' struggles are a photo negative of the Wild's recent surge. After sweeping a three-game road trip in the New York City area, Minnesota returned home and trailed the San Jose Sharks 2-0 in the third period before rallying to a 3-2 overtime win.

Their playoff odds now stand at a season-best 92 percent, according to one number-crunching site.

Forward Eric Staal was named the league's first star of the week after putting up four goals and seven points in Minnesota's last four games. Wild coach Bruce Boudreau believes that improving at this point in the season is just as important as winning.

"As long as we can continue to get better, this is something we're doing fine right now," Boudreau said, recalling a late-season swoon a year ago. "Come April, we have to pick that up a lot and in March we have to pick it up a lot. I mean our March wasn't that good last year."

Minnesota made a minor trade deadline move, possibly signaling that defenseman Jonas Brodin will return from injury soon, as it dealt blue-liner Mike Reilly to the Montreal Canadiens for a fifth-round draft pick.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT Game 64: 2/27/18|7:00 PM CT|@ Wild|NBCSN/KMOX

Post by gaijin »

I was anticipating a different-looking lineup in tonight's game, but as it turns out... no.

This sums up how I feel about the trade deadline:
Attachments
Our Situation Has Not Improved_Small.jpg
Our Situation Has Not Improved_Small.jpg (59.97 KiB) Viewed 9430 times

ibldbl
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ibldbl »

Blues lose, but take a giant leap forward and actually score a goal!

Blues - 1
Wild - 3
Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly 2021 - 2022
Official LGB Sponsor of Colton Parayko 2017 - 2019
Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk 2016 - 2017
Official LGB Sponsor of Troy Brouwer 2015 - 2016
Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz 2013 - 2015

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Blues stop the skid and climb back into the playoff hunt. Start Hutton.

Blues 4
Wild 0
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Oaklandblue wrote:Blues stop the skid and climb back into the playoff hunt. Start Hutton.

Blues 4
Wild 0
We are currently behind LA and Calgary for a wild card berth, both of which also play tonight. LA plays Vegas (in Vegas) and Calgary plays Dallas (in Dallas), so the odds favor both of those teams losing.

Calgary vs. Dallas is an interesting matchup from St. Louis's perspective. Is it better for Dallas to beat Calgary so the Blues can pass the Flames in the wild card race? Or is it better for Calgary to beat Dallas so we can catch the Stars in the Central?

*edit: Also, I just looked and Nashville and Winnipeg play each other tonight. That should be a damn good hockey game. :okman:

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

gaijin wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:Blues stop the skid and climb back into the playoff hunt. Start Hutton.

Blues 4
Wild 0
We are currently behind LA and Calgary for a wild card berth, both of which also play tonight. LA plays Vegas (in Vegas) and Calgary plays Dallas (in Dallas), so the odds favor both of those teams losing.

Calgary vs. Dallas is an interesting matchup from St. Louis's perspective. Is it better for Dallas to beat Calgary so the Blues can pass the Flames in the wild card race? Or is it better for Calgary to beat Dallas so we can catch the Stars in the Central?

*edit: Also, I just looked and Nashville and Winnipeg play each other tonight. That should be a damn good hockey game. :okman:
You know, I didn't even look at the standings as deep as you did and thank you for the update :). Honestly? Right now I want to see a solid Blues win. I want to see this team come out tonight like the team they really are, not lazy or lackadaisal. They got talent and skill and they need to knock off the lulling. They're better than that and Yeo (and Pie) needs to be on top of that.

In any case, I'm going to say we come out walking tall and take out the Wild. This team needs to send that message and back it by action, not words.

P.S. - Given the choice you gave, I'm going to choose catching Dallas in the Central. Getting a WC spot should be a last-ditch solution.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I say tank so you get back the 1st rounder that was conditional to the Flyers. It shouldn't be too hard for this team to tank, it's not like they care anymore anyway, and they're certainly not being motivated by Pietrangelo or Yeo. That's for sure.

Wild 5
Blues 1, on a delayed penalty the Wild throw it into their own net. Hutton, last Blue to touch the puck, is credited with the goal.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

Lines for the morning skate per Rutherford:
Steen-Barbashev-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Soshnikov
Berglund-Sobotka-Thompson
Upshall-Brodziak-Jaskin/Thorburn

D pairs
(Bortuzzo*)-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Gunnarsson-Schmaltz
*Bouwmeester not skating

G: Allen in starter’s net
Welp...

I respect your optimism, Oakland. I hope you're right.

I also appreciate your logic, Glen, in tanking a little to get that pick back.

I'd rather they just play hard and eek out a W but I don't know how far playing hard will get that squad listed above. Especially with how the Paper Tigers from Minny have played @ the X lately.

Wild 3 (Blue killer Zucker x2, Parise)
Blues 1 (Dunn)
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Too bad The Blues are doing their best to undermine any hope of them rallying in the face of adversity, by giving up 2 early goals. For those of us who feel that The Blues HAVE to win SOME time...........Maybe we are wrong. Maybe they'll lose EVERY game the rest of this season. Then, next season they'll lose ask 82 games, and be dropped out of The NHL for embarrassing The League. :evil:

And just as I type this, Tarasenko scores!!!! Maybe I shuuld put them down more!

But, just asI type the good news, The Wild score again! BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :evil:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

One month to meaningful baseball games
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

glen a richter wrote:I say tank so you get back the 1st rounder that was conditional to the Flyers. It shouldn't be too hard for this team to tank, it's not like they care anymore anyway, and they're certainly not being motivated by Pietrangelo or Yeo. That's for sure.

Wild 5
Blues 1, on a delayed penalty the Wild throw it into their own net. Hutton, last Blue to touch the puck, is credited with the goal.
NO! NO! NO! The 2018 draft is much deeper at the top! The Blues are better off to get that 1st choice in 2019. They've already added the 1st rounder in 2018 for Stastny. And, perhaps they can trade off Sobotka and a few others at The Draft for other choices they can add together to move up higher to grab actual quality player.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

Taraseko buries the rebound!! Blues back within 2!!!

But, The Wild score again! Boo!

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

No idea what to say other than the league's worst road power play finally scored a goal.

And both Blues goalies have allowed 3 against, so...

This team needs to pull it's head out of it's butt. Hard to believe they are still the league's 4th ranked overall defense considering how poorly they are defending.

Toasted Oates
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Toasted Oates »

The Blues are utter trash defensively. Just when I thought Jaden Schwartz was the MVP of this team it was really Joel Edmundson all along? Jesus.

And Bouwmeester's delay of game was one of the worst plays I've seen all year. What a freaking idiot. Then the 6th goal deflected off of him after Hutton made the save. This guy...
2016-2017 LGB sponsor of your boy, goaltender Jake Allen and a center for Vladi Tarasenko (UPDATE: FOUND! Ryan O' Reilly. July 1, 2018).
2017-2018 LGB sponsor of a damn fine rearguard, Capt. Alex Pietrangelo.
2018-2019 LGB sponsor of the 2nd greatest Joel in Blues history, #6 Joel "Eddy" Edmundson.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

Wow. Could this team BE any worse?

If they can't beat Detroit tomorrow...

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

gaijin wrote:Wow. Could this team BE any worse?

And the Blues have been playing worse at home lately. Hard to play worse than they did tonight, though.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

theohall wrote:
gaijin wrote:Wow. Could this team BE any worse?

And the Blues have been playing worse at home lately. Hard to play worse than they did tonight, though.
But hey! We scored three goals! We're back on track!