Early Off-season

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

Blues54569
Prospect
Prospect

Early Off-season

Post by Blues54569 »

What a shocker; Carter plays on Friday, the hawks only score one goal. Put Jake “did he shoot that?” Allen back in against Colorado and its time to get out the golf clubs. Fire Yeo NOW, cut Allen 5 minutes later. My hope now is that Chicago fires Coach Q and the Blues bring him back; he actually knows how to win. Why anyone would keep sticking Allen in the net and expect a different result is beyond me. This is not to say other areas of play were perfect, or that Colorado wasn’t simply the better team regardless of how individual Blues played. It’s just frustrating to watch another season without a cup slip away. I won’t buy a ticket for a game with Yeo running the debacle again.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Early Off-season

Post by gaijin »

I think virtually any coach can be successful with the right mix of players... but that depends on one very big factor: do the players you have fit the style of play the coach is asking of them (i.e. do you have the right players for the system)? Or stated a different way- does the coach know the right system/style of play that emphasizes his players' strengths and maximizes their effectiveness (do you have the right system for the players you have)?

Clearly, the Blues don't have a match between personnel and style of play. Granted, another possibility is that the players you have are just not as good as you think, which ultimately falls into the category of "not the right players for the system."

So how do you fix that? You can either fire all the players and hire new ones that fit the system better, or you can adapt your system to the players you have. So quick poll: which do you think the Blues will do in the offseason?

I am fairly confident they will choose Option C: maybe a little of both, but not enough of either one.

For example: does anyone think the Blues will jettison Allen? Of course not. You know they won't. And as much as I am convinced Yeo will not lead the Blues to a deep playoff run (much less that still-elusive first Cup), you know they will start next season with him behind the bench.

What I think they will do is make some personnel changes- some assistant coaching changes, some minor player moves (3rd/4th liners), and Yeo will publicly commit to developing the young players within the organization. The problem with that is not enough will change to significantly improve the team. #StatusYeo, if you will.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Blues54569 wrote:What a shocker; Carter plays on Friday, the hawks only score one goal. Put Jake “did he shoot that?” Allen back in against Colorado and its time to get out the golf clubs. Fire Yeo NOW, cut Allen 5 minutes later. My hope now is that Chicago fires Coach Q and the Blues bring him back; he actually knows how to win. Why anyone would keep sticking Allen in the net and expect a different result is beyond me. This is not to say other areas of play were perfect, or that Colorado wasn’t simply the better team regardless of how individual Blues played. It’s just frustrating to watch another season without a cup slip away. I won’t buy a ticket for a game with Yeo running the debacle again.
This game wasn't on Allen... but, you know.... just blame the goaltender when the 24th ranked offense (4th worst offense in the West - Dallas scored more goals) doesn't perform in front of him for the 28th time this season... :roll:

Yeo, on the other hand, is completely clueless about coaching offense in this era.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

Blues54569
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Blues54569 »

I agree there is plenty of blame to go around on the offensive side. I am a big Taresenko fan, but he didn’t play at a $7 million a year level (or whatever he makes). My point was that Hutton was clearly the better goalie the second half of the season and was available to make a difference at the end but wasn’t utilized because of some absurd belief that Jake Allen will ever play consistently at a high level. I also agree with some earlier posts about the power play (or lack there of) being a huge problem both this season and moving forward. I wish I had faith that Yeo could fix it for next year, but let’s face it I’d like to drop 20 pounds and win the lottery, but that ain’t going to happen either...

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Blues54569 wrote:I agree there is plenty of blame to go around on the offensive side. I am a big Taresenko fan, but he didn’t play at a $7 million a year level (or whatever he makes). My point was that Hutton was clearly the better goalie the second half of the season and was available to make a difference at the end but wasn’t utilized because of some absurd belief that Jake Allen will ever play consistently at a high level. I also agree with some earlier posts about the power play (or lack there of) being a huge problem both this season and moving forward. I wish I had faith that Yeo could fix it for next year, but let’s face it I’d like to drop 20 pounds and win the lottery, but that ain’t going to happen either...
LOL

SamJunior
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by SamJunior »

Blues54569 wrote:I agree there is plenty of blame to go around on the offensive side. I am a big Taresenko fan, but he didn’t play at a $7 million a year level (or whatever he makes). My point was that Hutton was clearly the better goalie the second half of the season and was available to make a difference at the end but wasn’t utilized because of some absurd belief that Jake Allen will ever play consistently at a high level. I also agree with some earlier posts about the power play (or lack there of) being a huge problem both this season and moving forward. I wish I had faith that Yeo could fix it for next year, but let’s face it I’d like to drop 20 pounds and win the lottery, but that ain’t going to happen either...
Honestly, I was a bit disappointed too, when I learned that Allen would start the game over Hutton. But now we all know how the game went, and I am pretty sure Hutton wouldn't have made any difference. Allen was solid, he kept the team in the game, but the offense wasn't able to capitalize on this chance. Let's face it, the Blues basically scored one goal in the game, and you just can't put in a goalie and expect him make a SO. Especially not a Carter Hutton. The guys had an outstanding season and all, but you know, he is not a Martin Brodeur or Hernik Lundquist type of goalie.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Power play went from 8th last season to 30th this season. If anyone doesn't think this is on Yeo, he went 2+ months without changing the forwards on the 1st power play unit, even though it was producing at a less than 10% rate while the 2nd power play unit didn't score one single goal after Jan 30th. That's a staggering number to me and shows how Yeo doesn't understand the concept of balancing skill over two units to actually create threats from both.

Some actual numbers.

From 1/25 onwards - 2nd PP unit: 2 goals total. (Stastny on 1/25, Berglund on 1/30)
From 1/25 onwards - 1st PP unit with 10/17/20/91 - 7/73... a whopping 9.6% - worst in the league. Seventy three opportunities, before Yeo finally changed it in the 2nd to last game of the season.
The 1st PP unit without 10/17/20/91 as a unit, but used 2 defenseman went 4 for 9. (1 for 3 in final 2 games; 3 for 6 when 91 was injured in mid-March).

Should have changed it sooner and just maybe the Blues win or at least force OT in the 6 one goal losses during that span - and that's not even looking at 2 goal losses where the Blues gave up an empty netter.

#YeoMustGo

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

My $.02 breakdown on the year:

Centers

That Brayden Schenn lead this team in scoring (the new acquisition that wasn't developed here) unfortunately speaks volumes. After the departure of Stastny (still love that trade btw) he faked it as the #1 center.

As many teams in the NHL this team does not have a legitimate #1 Center. Schenn is a very good #2. Berglund is a #3 at best. Our fourth line is wonderful. Brodziak put out 30 points this year, I'd take him back!

The Tavares pipe dream aside, I don't know what the Blues can or should do to address this. Schenn, IMO, should be a permanent center.

It'll have to developed or acquired but there's no #1 center on this team. I hope upon hope that Fabbri comes back, healthy, and not too far gone now from missing two NHL seasons back to back. Who knows how Tage Thompson will ultimately pan out but at least he got his feet wet this year.

Wingers

Tank got 30+ again but I think he'd be the first to tell you he could've done more. Mixed feelings on Steen. Sobotka disappeared this year after a good start which I was very disappointed with since he played so well when he came back last year and into the playoffs.

I hope the answer here is "the kids" and/or trading of Sobotka/Berglund but Army showed a propensity for signing more Thorburn's and Sundqvist's of the world then letting the kids play. I understand depth but that's not great depth.

Of all of the area's on this team this one concerns me the least.

Defense

Pietrangelo started the year on a Norris campaign and still held that mantle almost to the halfway point of the year. He's the rock back there. Least of our problems.

Parayko had a relatively quiet year. Hope he bounces back.

Bouwmeester: I think he's coming back next season but I also think he's a PRIME trade deadline piece.

Hope we get Edmunson locked in this offseason to a reasonable, multi-year contract.

Vince Dunn: Loved that he got a full season under his belt. I'm excited for next year for him.

This arena could use some clean up but I'm not nearly as concerned about the D as the Offense.

Goaltending

The jury should not still be out on whether or not Jake Allen is a legitimate starting NHL goaltender and I feel like it is. He's brilliant at times and shaky as all get out at others. Maybe that's just the nature of the beast, I don't know. He posted the worst numbers statistically of his career this season. So in that sense we can assume next year will be better.

Carter Hutton was wonderful obviously, and had the BEST season of his career, which roughly equaled out Allen's struggles. I'd love to have him back for another season or in the alternative maybe trading his negotiation rights at the draft. How we handle Hutton largely depends on whether or not the brass think Ville Husso is ready for showtime. And if Allen has another meltdown for the third year in a row would Husso be able to handle it if we don't re-up with Hutton? Questions to keep in mind.

I agree with the general sentiment Jake Allen isn't going anywhere. He'll be back for at least next season. If he has a repeat of next year like he had this one I could see him being in trouble.

Prospects

I just desperately want the kids to be able to play next year. Kyrou is ready I think. Bigger role for Thompson if he can handle it. I'm just getting really sick of seeing young rookies on other teams explode year in and year out and it NEVER freaking happens for the Blues it feels like. Let the kids play!

Coaching

I didn't want Yeo in the first place and don't like him any more than I didn't then. At least at the presser today he owned the fact his PP sucked. Didn't address the fact he did nothing to change it (as has been discussed in this thread) but at least he saying all the right things about "going back to school" this summer and watching what the successful teams are doing and going from there. I hope his actions speak as well as his words. He'll undoubtedly be the coach to start the season next year but I feel the leash is certainly tighter.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

On Yeo "going back to school" and looking at the successful teams:
Most teams are capable of running a 4 forward PP and are better off doing so, because they lack the defenseman who are skilled enough to run the power play. The Blues don't have this issue, so looking at other teams isn't really the answer. Look at your own available talent. Even look at the small sample size (4 for 9) when Pietrangelo and Dunn were together on the points. The challenge is finding depth for the 2nd unit.

Prospects: Kyrou has primarily been a winger. The good thing, he is right-handed and that should have a significant impact on the Blues PP next season. If he doesn't make the team, something is wrong at the management level. There is zero reason for him not to make the team/go to the AHL first. The concern, Kyrou has been awful in the OHL playoffs this season. Not sure what that is about.

At C - Robert Thomas (4 G, 8 A in his current 8 playoff games) should also make the team and have a significant impact on the position. What is interesting about Thomas, he has produced on multiple teams with a myriad of talent as his linemates. He makes the players on his line better. Is he a #1 type C? I don't think so right now, more of a #2, but if the Blues can get from Thomas what they get from Schenn, it improves the play of the top 2 lines and helps the Blues create 2 functional power play units. Very well could develop into a #1 C.

No idea what is going to happen with Nolan Stevens, but it is really disappointing the Blues didn't even play him after signing him while rolling out the offensively challenged Sundqvist, Soshnikov, Jaskin, etc.

Then there is Klim Kostin.

Followed by Tanner Kaspick. Kaspick is more of a future 3rd/4th liner with more skill than the current group.

That's 4 forwards who should join the Blues next season.

As to goaltending, it would be nice to see what happens with Allen if the Blues offense doesn't dry up mid-season like it has the past 2 years. This is just my opinion, but it seems like when the Blues offense struggles for more than a couple of games, Allen then tries to do too much trying to be perfect and it hurts his game. Then it takes 2 months to get back to playing with fundamentals first and relying on the acrobatic saves off of a strong base. Husso should have played at least one game when Hutton was injured. That 15 starts in a row at the end of the season clearly had an impact on Allen. As it stands, the Blues have no idea how Husso will perform at the NHL level other than a few exhibition starts. So goaltending is still a question mark.

Defense - For the love of pete do what it takes to move Bouwmeester. This team plays better on the back end, in terms of generating offense, without Bouwmeester skating. Pietrangelo, interestingly, played his worst when Bouwmeester was skating. Defensive depth is still needed, though. There isn't any in the system beyond Jake Walman. I suspect this will be addressed at the upcoming draft.

But, since Yeo isn't getting fired... expect more of the same horse-blinder crap from him next season.