Does anyone feel bad for Jake Allen?

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

xbleed83bluex
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Does anyone feel bad for Jake Allen?

Post by xbleed83bluex »

I don't mean feel bad enough that he should play. Business wise, it's the right decision. But I mean on a personal level.

They didn't show him on camera during the series yet. He didn't come out to congratulate Binnington on the win. The announcers don't mention him by name. I feel that he's embarrassed and humiliated right now, and probably had requests not to be filmed or discussed. I'm sure he's upset with Blues organization if not himself, given that Elliot was also favored over him before, and now twice. Fool me once, shame on you - I'm sure he knows that his time as a Blue is over; and even if there was a small chance at keeping him, he'd lack the passion and dedication as a Blue and wouldn't risk being shunned in the playoffs a third time at this stage in his career.

Poor guy's got to be in the dumps right now. I imagine him conflicted with emotions; on one hand, wanting the Blues to win so he can get his name on that Cup, but on the other hand, knowing if he gets there it'll be on the coattails of someone else. He comes into my work sometimes. But now it's all business. I don't mention ask him how he feels about not playing, haha.

Oh, and hello by the way. I actually registered here in 2007 and I haven't posted in a really long time! I'm surprised my login information still worked! Back when I was here, I remember a goon_attack who liked fights in hockey, and an infamous thread called "Things more intimidating than Eric Brewer."

:letsgoblues:
Official 2011-'12 sponsor of the hot chick from the FSMW Blues commercials.

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Does anyone feel bad for Jake Allen?

Post by gaijin »

Welcome back.

On the one hand, yes, I feel bad for Jake Allen that his team is essentially succeeding in large part because he is not playing. That's got to weigh on the mind. I think Jake is a good person, not an ass like a lot of professional athletes. I've never heard him having any attitude problems or off-ice issues.

On the other hand, tough shit, man. Them's the breaks. I'm sure the $4 million a year helps him sleep at night. If you have any honor/integrity at all, your first concern as an athlete is the TEAM, not you the individual. And to be fair, I haven't heard anything about Jake complaining or having issues with Binnington taking over. I was at the last regular season game vs. Vancouver (I was Servicemember of the Game, btw), and Jake definitely went out and congratulated Binnington after the win.

So it is what it is. I do feel bad for him as a person that he has lost his starter job again, but NHL hockey is first and foremost a business. And don't forget, the Blues chose Jake over Brian Elliott a few years ago and rewarded him with a lucrative contract.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Gord Miller and Ray Ferraro talked about Allen for about 5 minutes last night.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

theohall wrote:Gord Miller and Ray Ferraro talked about Allen for about 5 minutes last night.
Would you care to elaborate on what was said? :wink:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I don’t feel bad for him. Life’s a competition and he lost, cest la vie. Dude made more money from this contract than I’ll ever sniff in my entire life.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

gaijin wrote:
theohall wrote:Gord Miller and Ray Ferraro talked about Allen for about 5 minutes last night.
Would you care to elaborate on what was said? :wink:
They said Allen was sub-par as a starter, seems to perform better with competition, and has handled the current situation like a professional.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Not even a little bit. Professional sports are cutthroat. Perform, or we'll find someone who can.

He's had multiple opportunities to take the reigns as a starting NHL goaltender in this league, he's even being paid like it (Not Price or Luongo money, but he's being paid pretty well) and he just HASN'T taken over. That's all on him.

Has nothing to do with him as a good teammate or a great guy. It's performance. I would argue he's even had MORE chances than your average pro athlete to establish a starting spot in this league and he simply hasn't done it. Too inconsistent, too mentally stressed, whatever it is.

If the team railroaded him or buried him in the minors despite him performing, etc, that's a whole different issue. But that's not the case. He's been given every chance and he hasn't performed consistently enough. Period full stop.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk