CBA extension irt Blues salary cap.

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

CBA extension irt Blues salary cap.

Post by theohall »

With a flat cap likely being agreed to the Blues have to solve their cap situation. Either Pietrangelo walks or some combination of players is traded away/bought out. Seattle won't help solve things for the 20-21 season. Something else to consider - the cap stays flat until Hockey related revenue reaches a certain level, which could mean a flat cap for the 21-22 season, as well. This would be a bigger issue given the Blues quality RFAs due contracts in 2021.

Unless there is some deal in the CBA extension we don't know about allowing teams to exceed the cap for one player or something like that.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: CBA extension irt Blues salary cap.

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Seattle, Detroit and Ottawa are all licking their chops right now.

There are some teams in serious trouble and we're going to see more than one trade happening that's nothing but a salary dump and good GM's are going to weaponize their cap space to take advantage of that: the top 3 being above. edit: Buffalo is up there too.

Blues are one of those teams. That Faulk trade and extension is just disastrous at this point. There was nothing wrong with keeping Edmundson on the roster for a year and if you were really sick of him letting him walk. I get pulling the trigger as an insurance policy against losing Pietro for nothing, but heck with that cap space you may have had him done by now!

Beating a dead horse: Jake Allen, Bozak and Steen would all have to go in order to make room for Petro and Dunn for next season. Would have to then dump off Faulk to Seattle in a deal that would likely be expensive to get Seattle to take him.

Or, like I said in another post, there's an argument to be made for just letting Petro walk. He unknowingly screwed himself by not getting a deal done earlier in the year pre-COVID. Free market wise and with a frozen cap situation he might be looking at as much as $1 million less AAV on his deal than he probably otherwise could've gotten. Then again it only takes one team that really wants you and has the room... but nobody has the room. Nobody competitive anyway.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I don’t get pulling the trigger. There wasn’t anything wrong with Eddy and if Pietrangelo walked there were other guys in the pipeline who could step up. If they weren’t ready then you sign a UFA to a 1-2 year deal while the kid(s) finish seasoning. Trading for Faulk and extending him as he was is a regrettable move, 100%.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Depending on how Perunovich performs in the playoffs, he could be Dunn's replacement. The only issue I'm aware of with Perunovich is size. He doesn't have the reach of a 6'0 defenseman. 5' 9" and 172 lbs is alot to make up at the NHL level. It can be done - see Krug - but we won't know until he actually faces NHL competition.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

glen a richter wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:32 am
I don’t get pulling the trigger. There wasn’t anything wrong with Eddy and if Pietrangelo walked there were other guys in the pipeline who could step up. If they weren’t ready then you sign a UFA to a 1-2 year deal while the kid(s) finish seasoning. Trading for Faulk and extending him as he was is a regrettable move, 100%.
Salary considerations aside, I loved the Faulk move at the time. Edmundson had fallen out of favor, was scratched often during the season and in the playoffs and had a down season. I did like him though...thought he would rebound. But Faulk is easily the better player. The team got better on paper in their shot to repeat this season. So I was fine with it...shooting your shot during your cup window, if you will.
But Faulk had an unexpected down season playing a new role on a new team in a new system...and looked rather bad most of the year. Although he did start to come around a bit later in the season. I fully expect him to be better next season. Much better. He's a far better player than he showed this season. If he doesn't improve next year, then maybe you hope you can talk Seattle into taking him...and with Ron Francis (former Hurricane & Canes GM who was familiar with Faulk) calling the shots in Seattle, so you never know.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

cprice12 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:48 am
glen a richter wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:32 am
Salary considerations aside, I loved the Faulk move at the time. Edmundson had fallen out of favor, was scratched often during the season and in the playoffs and had a down season. I did like him though...thought he would rebound. But Faulk is easily the better player. The team got better on paper in their shot to repeat this season. So I was fine with it...shooting your shot during your cup window, if you will.
But Faulk had an unexpected down season playing a new role on a new team in a new system...and looked rather bad most of the year. Although he did start to come around a bit later in the season. I fully expect him to be better next season. Much better. He's a far better player than he showed this season. If he doesn't improve next year, then maybe you hope you can talk Seattle into taking him...and with Ron Francis (former Hurricane & Canes GM who was familiar with Faulk) calling the shots in Seattle, so you never know.
Yea statistically the worst season of Faulk's career. If we re-sign Petro though we'd almost have to move him, almost regardless of how he plays. If Petro moves on then that decision makes itself and you hope he improves and then we look to lock up Parayko long term.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk