GDT #11: Blues @ Flyers | 6:00 pm CT | BSMW, 101 ESPN

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #11: Blues @ Flyers | 6:00 pm CT | BSMW, 101 ESPN

Post by theohall »

TEAM SNAPSHOTS
BLUES The St. Louis Blues opened their back-to-back road set with a hard-fought loss against the No. 2 team in the NHL, the Boston Bruins.

Though the losing streak extended to seven regulation games, the Blues made the Bruins work for every inch. Boston's three goals share the fewest allowed by the Blues through this stretch as Jordan Binnington made his best effort in goal to keep his team in the game.

Brayden Schenn scored the Blues' lone goal, going end-to-end and finishing a clean pass from Jordan Kyrouin front of the net. Kyrou recorded his first assist on the season as he looks to heat up his offensive play.

"Effort was there tonight - we showed up, we competed hard, that's a good team they got over there (in Boston)," said Schenn. "We just gotta find a way to score goals and get the results we want."

Coming off another loss and heading towards another of the NHL's hottest goaltenders, the Blues will have their work cut out for them as they look to get their season back on track in Philadelphia.

Through 10 games, the Blues are 3-7-0 for six points.

FLYERS After missing the Playoffs last year, the Philadelphia Flyers are seeing some positive early results. They began their season with a three-game win streak and have earned points in all but three games while facing a difficult schedule.

Philadelphia is coming off of a 2-1 win in Ottawa, their first game against longtime Flyer Claude Giroux since his departure for Florida via trade last year and then signing with the Senators this summer. Giroux, who played exactly 1,000 games for the Flyers, scored Ottawa's only goal as Philadelphia came out on top.

Travis Konecny has been producing for the Flyers early on, scoring 12 points in 11 games to lead the team. The 25-year-old forward has six points in his last five games, including an assist in the win over Ottawa.

The Flyers are hoping that new Head Coach John Tortorella can use his long resume to help Philadelphia turn things around from last year. Tortorella has coached nearly 1,400 games behind NHL benches, won two Jack Adams Trophies as the NHL's Coach of the Year, and won a Stanley Cup coaching the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2003-04.

Philadelphia will host the Blues with a 6-3-2 record, worth 14 points and fourth place in the Metropolitan Division as of Monday afternoon.

HEAD-TO-HEAD The Blues went 1-1-0 against the Flyers last season, with each team winning on the road. In their last five matchups, the Blues are 3-1-1 and have a 7-1 goal differential over their last two games in Philadelphia.

PLAYERS TO WATCH
BLUES Brayden Schenn, who scored the lone Blues goal in Boston on Monday. Schenn played 424 games over six seasons as a Flyer before coming to the Blues in 2017.

FLYERS Carter Hart, who has been one of the NHL's best goaltenders this season. Hart has started in all of Philadelhpia's wins while ranking in the Top 4 in the NHL in both save percentage (.946) and goals-against average (1.97).

BLUE NOTES
In their last five games against the Flyers, the Blues are 12-for-13 on the penalty kill (92.3 percent)... Vladimir Tarasenko is slated to dress in his 617th career game, passing Bob Plager for No. 11 on the all-time franchise list... Robert Bortuzzo is expected to dress in his 500th career game, 387 with the Blues and 113 with the Pittsburgh Penguins... The Blues have given up five first-period goals this season, sharing second fewest in the NHL.
The Flyers' defense came through for a 2-1 road victory over the Ottawa Senators on Saturday with regular Philadelphia defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen scratched from the lineup.

It's uncertain if Ristolainen will be back when the Flyers will host the reeling St. Louis Blues on Tuesday.

Philadelphia coach John Tortorella was asked Monday about his expectations for Ristolainen, who missed the first six games of the season due to an injury.

"He just hasn't met them," Tortorella said. "He needs to play better. I'm not going to go that much deeper into it, but I don't think he's played well enough. He's going to get another crack at it, but in everything about his game, I think he needs to be better."

So does the Philadelphia offense.

The Flyers clearly are not the same offensive team without Sean Couturier, who remains out indefinitely following his second back surgery.

"It's a concern," Tortorella said of the lack of offense. "It's been a concern of the organization here for a little bit and will be."

Flyers goalie Carter Hart is not a concern, though.

The ever-improving 24-year-old is 6-0-2 with a 1.97 goals-against average and a .946 save percentage. After two subpar seasons following two strong campaigns to open his career, Hart looks much more like a standout again.

"I think the goaltender sets the tempo for your team," Tortorella said. "If he looks relaxed, I think it settles the team down, also."

The Flyers blocked 28 shots against the Senators, including five by Travis Sanheim, who played arguably his best all-around game of the season.

"We played a full 60 minutes, and I thought it was our best defensive effort," Philadelphia center Kevin Hayes said.

The Blues need a strong effort to stop their skid. After starting the season with three victories, the Blues have dropped seven in a row in regulation to tie a franchise record.

The latest defeat came Monday, a 3-1 setback on the road against the Boston Bruins. The last St. Louis team to lose seven consecutive games in regulation occurred in 2005-06.

Brandon Saad returned from an upper-body injury, but the Blues still couldn't execute enough to come up with a victory.

Brayden Schenn scored the lone goal for the Blues while goaltender Jordan Binnington made 34 saves.

Once again, it wasn't enough.

"It's all about puck battles and competing," Blues coach Craig Berube said. "We need to do it for 60 minutes."

Berube said that he's not singling out any one player for the slide.

"They've got to want to do it," he said. "That's the bottom line. You've got to want to do it. It's every guy. Every guy's got to dig in. We want to get out of this, we need everybody to dig in and do their job."

Schenn was highly critical of the team's effort, especially in the third period, when Boston scored the game's final two goals.

"We probably sat back too much, just because we were almost a little bit scared to go get it, because we know how valuable these two points are for us right now," Schenn said. "We're going into Philly (on Tuesday). We know it's a tough team."
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: GDT #11: Blues @ Flyers | 6:00 pm CT | BSMW, 101 ESPN

Post by theohall »

Blues need to stop this "we take quality shots" nonsense and just start shooting the damn puck. Shooting 6.9%... you'd better be shooting a ton more to actually have any chance of scoring goals with that low of a shot percentage.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Blues need to get someone up from Springfield who’s hungry to get and keep an NHL spot. Let them send a message that we’re coming for your jobs if you don’t want them.

I’d get Tucker or Kessel up first, Alexandrov immediately after
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Awful lot of quality shots against... Greiss has to be thinking "I did not see this kind of shitty defense when I signed my contract."

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

And it begins!

Would you rather have Bedard or Fantilli? I think a great argument can be made for either.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

This team sucks

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Christ almighty :facepalm:

When the schedule came out I took a look and considered going to the game v. Vancouver during the February break. Kids are going on a trip with my ex, had a few days to do whatever the hell I wanted so I thought why not? Now I know why not. I think I'll save my money.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

glen a richter wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:42 pm
Christ almighty :facepalm:

When the schedule came out I took a look and considered going to the game v. Vancouver during the February break. Kids are going on a trip with my ex, had a few days to do whatever the hell I wanted so I thought why not? Now I know why not. I think I'll save my money.
The team must be thinking the only way they can win it all is to start from the bottom of the standings. Hey, it worked exactly once. :lol:

Seriously, they're going to end the season with about 50 points at this rate.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Can't hit empty nets. Then get lazy when they get down two goals leading to a last minute goal against at the end of the 2nd.

Ridiculous!! This team doesn't deserve to win anything the way they are playing.

The Flyers are the 3rd worst scoring team in the NHL (we know who 1st is...) yet have 3 goals after 2. One of them simply by throwing the puck in front and seeing what happened with a guy going there - no effort at all at trying to make a quality shot or shot for a rebound. This is something completely missing from the Blues game. It always has to be a quality shot or a shot with rebound potential - there is never the throw the puck in front and see what happens kind of play any more. Of course, with no one actually going to the net, guess that wouldn't work either.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

There better be something between now and Thursday. Trade, call up, something.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Just like that Neighbours down, Alexandrov and Leivo up.

Too bad they can’t send down Kyrou, Krug or Parayko

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Neighbours isn't really the issue. It's the top 9.

Thomas can't hit the net - even when the goalie has been moved out of the flipping way and the net is empty.
Kyrou is actually getting shots on net, they just keep being stopped.
ROR - know idea WTF is his issue.
Buchnevich looked lost in terms of defensive positioning last night when he's supposed to support Parayko by skating past him and backing him up, not stopping next to Parayko and magically expecting the puck to appear. More than once Buchnevich seriously f'ed up backchecking.
All of the defenseman seem to get lost trying to protect their own net. When they are doing it right, the forwards screw up the backcheck.

The only player in the Top 9 I've seen playing worth a damn has been Tarasenko.

Bottom 3 (including the 2 guys being scratched) - Acciari is okay, but even he's screwing up in his own end and is suffering from "The Blues only take quality shots" syndrome. Pitlick is a complete waste. Why hasn't he been sent down? Leivo didn't impress at all in his 3 starts - 4 shots in 3 games and not that good in his role as a 3rd/4th liner.

Toropchenko, other than that really bad cross-check a couple of games ago, has been doing the right things. Walker has seemed to be okay, but he should be a 4th line guy - not a 3rd liner, which it appears these moves are going to make him.

Curious to where they are going to play Alexandrov. He's been a C throughout his development. I could see them putting him out there with any of these two: Toropchenko, Acciari, Leivo, or Walker. Pretty sure Alexandrov and Torp played on the same line for awhile last season.

Other than making trades, since the coach isn't going anywhere, this is pretty much the only type of thing Armstrong can do. Just like glen, I'd prefer seeing another d-man getting a shot also, instead of just changing the forwards around, since defense is a major part of the current issues.