GDT #24: Blues @ Penguins | 6 pm CT | BSMW, 101 ESPN

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

GDT #24: Blues @ Penguins | 6 pm CT | BSMW, 101 ESPN

Post by theohall »

TEAM SNAPSHOTS
BLUES The St. Louis Blues are looking to regain momentum after losing both of a two-game homestand and four of their last five as they head East for a three-game trip.

A 64-second stretch in the second period made the difference on Thursday night against Carolina, in which the Hurricanes scored three unanswered goals on their way to a 6-4 win.

"That's happened a lot to us this year, where (other teams) get a bunch of goals right away," said Robert Thomas. "But, we battled back well - our power play got us a couple big goals, and we came out well in the third."

Thomas recorded a power-play assist in his return to the lineup after missing one game with a lower-body injury, reaching a team-high 16 assists and 20 points on the season.

After facing off with the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday, the Blues finish the road trip with a back-to-back set against the Rangers and Islanders in New York.

They bring a record of 11-12-0, worth 22 points and sixth in the Central Division.

PENGUINS The Pittsburgh Penguins have had their own streaky start to the season, losing seven in a row earlier and later going on a five-game win streak and seven-of-nine run.

Longtime Penguins Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin are both contributing this year and are No. 1 and 3 on the team in points, respectively. Crosby's 32 points this season share No. 6 in the NHL as of Friday afternoon. He ranks No. 2 on the Penguins all-time leaderboard in his 18th year with the club.

Pittsburgh is coming off a 4-3 win over Vegas, their third game of a five-game homestand. The Penguins were down 3-2 early in the third period, but Jake Guentzel and Kasperi Kapanen scored a pair of unanswered goals to win the game.

The Penguins have played an up-tempo offense this year and rank No. 8 in the NHL in shots per game. With the Blues also facing Florida (No. 1), Carolina (No. 3), and the Rangers (No. 5) all in recent succession, their defense and resiliency will continue to be tested.

Pittsburgh will host the Blues with a record of 12-8-4, worth 28 points and fourth place in the Metropolitan Division.

HEAD-TO-HEAD The Blues went 0-1-1 against the Penguins last season, but are 6-2-1 overall in their last nine trips to Pittsburgh.

The Blues have not allowed the Penguins a power-play goal in four of their last five matchups, going 18-for-20 (90 percent) on the penalty kill over those games.

PLAYERS TO WATCH
BLUES Torey Krug, who scored his fourth power-play goal of the season on Thursday and now shares the NHL lead amongst defensemen in that category. In 24 career games against the Penguins, Krug has three goals and seven assists.

PENGUINS Sidney Crosby, Penguins captain and three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Crosby has 12 goals and 20 assists this season, one of just three NHL players at those marks.

BLUE NOTES
The Blues will play eight of their next 11 games on the road, including a season-long five-game trip starting on Dec. 15 in Edmonton... On Thursday vs. Carolina, Vladimir Tarasenko recorded the 283rd and 284th assists of his career, moving him past Garry Unger for No. 8 on the Blues all-time franchise list and five shy of Pavol Demitra for No. 7... Blues defensemen have scored five power-play goals this year, the most in the NHL... Brayden Schenn's next game will be No. 800 of his NHL career... Jordan Binnington's next win in goal will be No. 100 of his career, set to become the sixth goaltender in franchise history to reach the milestone.
It has been all about the response of late for the Pittsburgh Penguins and visiting St. Louis Blues heading into their meeting Saturday.

Pittsburgh reeled off five consecutive victories late last month, then stumbled through a 4-1 loss last Saturday against the Toronto Maple Leafs. That was followed Tuesday by a 3-2 loss against the Carolina Hurricanes that left the Penguins fuming over what they thought was a blatant missed penalty call in overtime, which led to the Hurricanes' winning goal.

Pittsburgh then fell behind 2-0 on Thursday against Vegas, one of the top teams in the NHL. But before the Penguins let things get away, they responded with a highly-competitive 4-3 win over the Golden Knights.

The Penguins came back to tie the game against Vegas, falling behind again early in the third period, pulling even once more before winning it in an inspiring way.

The game-winning goal midway through the third period came from winger Kasperi Kapanen, who had not scored in 13 consecutive games and had struggled to the point of being a healthy scratch for a stretch.

"He's trying to play the game the right way," Penguins coach Mike Sullivan said. "He's trying to leverage his speed as best he can.

"Obviously, we're thrilled for him that he got rewarded."

That wasn't the only point of inspiration for Pittsburgh, which was playing its first game since it was revealed that top defenseman Kris Letang will be out indefinitely after having a stroke. It was Letang's second stroke in eight years.

Penguins captain Sidney Crosby said thoughts of Letang helped push the team to the win.

"I think you see the way the guys competed and rallied," Crosby said. "I'd like to think we have a lot of effort every night, but it seemed there was a little bit more urgency and desperation."

The Blues were soaring with a seven-game winning streak into the week of Thanksgiving, but that rush of victories has faded with losses in four of five games.

The slide includes a 6-4 loss at home Thursday against Carolina that included plenty of ups and downs. St. Louis went up 2-0 early in the second period, gave up three goals in a span of 1:04, tied it, then fell behind by two. They pulled within 5-4 with under a minute remaining then gave up an empty-netter.

That is how it has been of late for the Blues.

"We're competitive," Blues center Robert Thomas said. "We're in every game. ... Games like (the one against Carolina) are going to happen."

Games like that have been too frequent for St. Louis' taste. In the first three losses since the five-game win streak, St. Louis was outscored by a combined 15-5. The lone victory in the last five games came in a 5-4 overtime decision last Saturday against the Florida Panthers.

"It seems like anytime we lose a game, it's usually five to 10 minutes where we give up a few chances that ultimately lead to goals," St. Louis defenseman Torey Klug said. "That's what we've got to clean up.

"It's up to us to learn from those mistakes sooner (rather) than later. Otherwise, we're going to keep falling behind. We've got to make an adjustment there."

A recent bright spot offensively for the Blues has been forward Jordan Kyrou, who has 14 points (five goals, nine assists) over the past 10 games.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: GDT #24: Blues @ Penguins | 6 pm CT | BSMW, 101 ESPN

Post by gaijin »

Blah blah Penguins. Blah blah Crosby will cheap shot someone and get two goals.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

So far it's all Binner [shit] show. Both goals.
2018 - 2019 Official sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2017 - 2018 Official sponsor of Joel "Top Shelf" Edmundson
2016 - 2017 Official sponsor of Nail "THE YAK" Yakupov

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Jesus Mary and Joseph, just make a trade for the sake of shaking some shit up, damn.

Also, I love the douchenozzles on Elon's platform who clearly don't understand just how godawful this team has been this season. The handful of schmucks all pissed off about WIlliam Bitten getting called up amaze me. Show me where the current NHL players are doing so monumentally amazing that Bitten (or McGing, or Alexandrov, or pretty much any forward in Springfield) shouldn't get a call up to push these lazy bums? I didn't realize the Blues were playing .900 hockey and didn't need to use some of that AHL depth to try to kickstart these slugs.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Pittsburgh's 2nd goal tonight is what is wrong with the Blues offensively. The Penguins had no shot at all on goal on entry. To solve this, they flat out threw threw the puck at the boards behind the net and used their forecheck to play that bounce off the boards. How often have you seen the Blues even attempt this play this season??? When any Blues forward feels like they don't have a shot, they try the drop pass, not the play off the boards play. They almost never go North to play off the forecheck.
Last edited by theohall on Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Kelly is trying to call the Buchnevich goal a brilliant shot... that's terrible goaltending, not a great shot. If Binnington had given up that same goal, there would be heavy criticism of Binnington.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

I feel like I see plenty of dump ins but the Blues very rarely capitalize on those this season. The speed isn't there and no one hits nearly hard enough to put the defense on its heels and force bad decisions.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

As to callups and guys sent down - the Blues flat out cannot send down any of their top nine or any of their top 5 defenseman - both based on salary alone - and the only option to "shake up" the roster is to change out the bottom 3 forwards and rotate who plays as the 6th defenseman. Flat out contracts and salary cap right now have Armstrong 100% handicapped. Saying "make a trade" now is pointless solely due to cap issues. Tank, ROR - NTC. Blues top 5 D - NTC. None of them are going to accept a trade to Arizona - who has the cap room. This roster has to figure their own shit out... simply due to how handicapped Armstrong is due to the NTC's he signed.

ComradeT
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by ComradeT »

Thoughts on having Schenn center the fourth line? He's been a defensive liability and offensively he's just not up to snuff. I wonder if his ribs still bother him and if reduced minutes would help him (and the team) a bit.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Double minor for high-sticking on Binnington needing a review??? WTF did any of these refs actually see??? At least the correction got it right.

If I could figure out my Twitter login, I'd ask Tim Peel how anyone on the ice could have called that a high stick on Binnington (yes, they fixed it) when his stick never left the ice. Which official magically saw that as a high stick and how? That's the question I'd have for a former official. My bet - the back official 150+ feet away saw the Pens player fall with his head falling last and assumed it was a high stick without actually seeing a high stick and the rule for NHL officials is supposed to be you only call what you see, not what you assume.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

ComradeT wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:40 pm
Thoughts on having Schenn center the fourth line? He's been a defensive liability and offensively he's just not up to snuff. I wonder if his ribs still bother him and if reduced minutes would help him (and the team) a bit.
IMO, he has a new injury this season, whatever it is, and they want him playing but want to limit his minutes to ease him back in the lineup. Right now is 100% the wrong time to ease anyone into the lineup with the 14 games in 29 days.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Knowing how much Bitten's game improved between being in Iowa and his play in Springfield, I'm a fan of him being on the current roster. The only issue - he's stuck in a "bottom 3" role unless Berube starts taking away ice time from the Blues higher paid forwards - which hasn't really happened yet.

I'm waiting for the game when Acciari, Leivo, and Toropchenko (when he gets back) have the most ice time in a game among forwards. If they aren't winning and playing consistently, why not take away ice time from the top 9? Send a damn message.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Pens 4th goal - Blues are in a man-to-man situation and Krug doesn't recognize the switch due to how high Zucker winds up in the zone when he gets the pass from the corner.

Yes, the Blues tried a "zone" defensive scheme earlier this season with disastrous results, but that goal is a consequence of a man defense. If one defenesman is taken away from the net to defend a man, the 2nd defenseman is supposed to protect the net, which Krug was doing. But.... doing so - left Zucker has a forward free high in the zone and he flat out beat Binnington after the pass from the corner. Zucker flat out lost Krug's coverage simply by skating. There was essentially no reason for Krug to not be on top of Zucker, but he laid off to cover the front of the net when no one was challenging the front of the net. This is part of what's been wrong with Krug all season - he isn't staying on the guy he's supposed to defend when playing defense. (I looked at the FLA OT winner - that was a massively high risk pass that got through by inches. With the Blues changing one forward at the time - if it missed and the FLA D had knocked the pass down, it would've been 3-1 with the 1 being Krug flat-footed behind the net, so essentially a 3-on-0 in OT. It was very high risk-high reward play with the Blues getting the reward). What's the relevance of that aside - that is how Krug has been playing all season - only the risk isn't paying off. The Blues would be better served playing someone like Tucker, right now, who doesn't take those risks and is super solid defensively.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

This team is just playing like absolute dog shit. If they don't beat the Rangers on Monday I don't see the next good chance for them coming until December 19th against the equally dog shitty Canucks. It's not out of the realm of possibility this team only wins two games in the entire month of December.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

theohall wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:15 pm
What's the relevance of that aside - that is how Krug has been playing all season - only the risk isn't paying off. The Blues would be better served playing someone like Tucker, right now, who doesn't take those risks and is super solid defensively.
The whole defense is a cluster of Army's own doing. Krug doesn't fit what this team needs, Parayko is as soft as a plush toy in a claw machine, I'm loathe to see when Perunovich comes back and starts getting some ice time what another small d-man will/won't contribute to this team. But like you said earlier in the thread, there's so many NTC's--thanks for screwing yourself Army--that there's no way out.

If it was at all possible, I'd love to see both Tucker and Kessel up as the bottom 6 pairing, get rid of Krug and Parayko, I mean just revamp the whole damn defense with players more suited to Blues hockey. I feel like they've drafted defense reasonably well, especially with their later round picks, but they're hamstrung by lousy contracts where all the heavy hitters that they have drafted won't have a place to play when it would normally be their turn up.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

I thought Army had learned the lessons of NTCs with Pietrangelo and some guys before. I was wrong.

Parayko, Krug, Leddy, Faulk - all have NTCs until the 25-26 season.
Schenn - Full NTC until 25-26 (I want him on this team when healthy)
Buchnevich - current modified NTC - if this team isn't going to be competitive, he becomes a prime trade chip)
Saad - Full NTC until 25-26 (modified prior) - but he's a consistent guy - not someone I want so see go.
Kyrou and Thomas - neither have an NTC until 25-26 - which makes both moveable....
ROR - UFA
Tank - UFA'

When CapFriendly has Tyler Pitlick listed as one of the top 9 on the depth chart - there is a major f'ing depth problem. He is arguably the Blues worst forward on the current NHL roster, but his 1 big hit every 5 or so games keeps giving him chances - which I don't flipping get. He shouldn't be on an NHL roster at all.
Last edited by theohall on Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Why even bother watching this? 4 minutes left in the 2nd period and the Blues have a whopping 12 shots on goal. I don't care what your shooting percentage is. Even if it's the 10+% from last season, that's still only 1 goal - which will flat out not win games in today's NHL. Add in how poor the Blues D is playing - because the goaltending hasn't been bad, in spite of the numbers. The majority of the goals against have been on the defense. Even with Binnington's NTC, I'd try to find a team where he'd be willing to go (Toronto) given what Hofer and Zherenko are doing in the AHL.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

So before this team decides actually shooting the puck on goal is a meaningful thing, they have to be losing by 2 or more goals and outshot by 2-1 or more.... got it. Why watch this trash? It kinda sucks being a fan of a team whose players don't seem to give a crap and keep saying the same things after every loss. Still say this is more about the locker room than anything else... and the only major locker room change was Perron.

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

theohall wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:08 pm
So before this team decides actually shooting the puck on goal is a meaningful thing, they have to be losing by 2 or more goals and outshot by 2-1 or more.... got it. Why watch this trash? It kinda sucks being a fan of a team whose players don't seem to give a crap and keep saying the same things after every loss. Still say this is more about the locker room than anything else... and the only major locker room change was Perron.
:plusplus: :plusplus:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm curious what they're saying on the talk shows in St. Louis. If this was NY I know they'd be blasting them to hell on both of our sports radio stations. Is the local media pissed or what?