Tarasenko to Rangers

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Tarasenko to Rangers

Post by flyingnote38 »

glen a richter wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:24 pm
If this was the return for Tarasenko I have to assume that the return for O'Reilly will be significantly less.
The Athletic staff trade board actually had O'Reilly rated higher than tank and lack of a no trade clause helps

Barbashev now in the top 10 available with a comparison as this year's Jarnkrok (I doubt we can get a 2, 3 and 7 for him but he probably has more value than we've been thinking)

and Acciarri could probably net a pick too
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

gaijin wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:53 pm
Good to see you Kerfuffle.

In the past two seasons, Tarasenko has expressed displeasure at how he had been utilized by team management. O'Reilly was awarded the C instead of him when Pietrangelo left, and he (Tarasenko) was upset with how the team doctors handled his multiple surgeries, and he felt marginalized. He flat-out requested a trade in the offseason. Armstrong couldn't find an adequate trade partner, so he remained in St. Louis.

To Tarasenko's credit, he has been one of the hardest workers on the team this season, and has seen flashes of his former self on occasion. Unfortunately, the Blues will not make the playoffs this year, and it is Tarasenko's final year of his contract, so he was traded to get some kind of return before he walks away in the offseason.
Thanks for the context. Didn't know he was unhappy with the team doctors and his surgeries. And you're right it's better to get something for him then let him walk for nothing in the offseason. We're doing the same thing with Kane and Toews although both are kinda untradeable right now. I'm confused on why the Blues front office is going full rebuild though.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I can’t blame Tarasenko for wanting out. Let’s not forget also how he lobbied Army to sign Panarin and got blown off. He’ll be a lot happier in NY, hopefully not happy enough that he wins the rags a Cup but happier than he was with the Blues. Gallant is also, as far as I know, a loose coach who lets the guys play their game their way so he should put up great numbers.

On the other hand it still sickens me to see him in ranger blue. I was actually hoping they’d trade him to the islanders and when they traded for Horvat I knew that wouldn’t happen. I could have seen myself maybe buying his isles sweater but it'll be a cold cold day in hell before I ever put on a rangers jersey.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Kerfuffle
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Kerfuffle »

My son is very happy about the move - he's a huge Rangers fan. He plays goalie and his idol is Lundquist so even though I raised him a Blackhawk fan he converted several years ago to be a Rangers fan instead now. When I told him about the Tarasenko trade going through he was ecstatic. Originally it looked like Patrick Kane was going to the Rangers instead but Kane needs hip surgery so the Rangers passed on him and went for Tank instead.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Kerfuffle wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:57 am
gaijin wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:53 pm
Good to see you Kerfuffle.

In the past two seasons, Tarasenko has expressed displeasure at how he had been utilized by team management. O'Reilly was awarded the C instead of him when Pietrangelo left, and he (Tarasenko) was upset with how the team doctors handled his multiple surgeries, and he felt marginalized. He flat-out requested a trade in the offseason. Armstrong couldn't find an adequate trade partner, so he remained in St. Louis.

To Tarasenko's credit, he has been one of the hardest workers on the team this season, and has seen flashes of his former self on occasion. Unfortunately, the Blues will not make the playoffs this year, and it is Tarasenko's final year of his contract, so he was traded to get some kind of return before he walks away in the offseason.
Thanks for the context. Didn't know he was unhappy with the team doctors and his surgeries. And you're right it's better to get something for him then let him walk for nothing in the offseason. We're doing the same thing with Kane and Toews although both are kinda untradeable right now. I'm confused on why the Blues front office is going full rebuild though.
I think it's more an "aggressive re-tooling" :lol: :roll: . Even if Army wanted to blow up the roster, he can't. Leddy, Krug, Parayko, Faulk, Binner all have term and full NTC's. We're stuck on defense for the foreseeable future or Army somehow finding trade partners that players would be willing to waive their NTC's for.
Kerfuffle wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:48 am
My son is very happy about the move - he's a huge Rangers fan. He plays goalie and his idol is Lundquist so even though I raised him a Blackhawk fan he converted several years ago to be a Rangers fan instead now. When I told him about the Tarasenko trade going through he was ecstatic. Originally it looked like Patrick Kane was going to the Rangers instead but Kane needs hip surgery so the Rangers passed on him and went for Tank instead.
He needs hip surgery?! Oh wow did not know that.

Yea I'm glad Army got "good enough" on the trade partner for Tarasenko and pulled the trigger. None of knows how short of a list Tarasenko had. He wasn't going to re-sign so to get a 1st round pick, 3rd round pick (once the condition hits) and low level prospect for Tarasenko and Mikkola is great as far as I'm concerned. Blues fans that are pissed at the return don't understand the limitations Army was working with.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

From Boomer this morning on the radio, apparently Vlad lacked some hustle on a goal against last night.

“I see why St. Louis wanted to trade him”

Actually just went into the doctor, came back to the car and they’re still talking about him. They never talk hockey more than 2 minutes on this show but Boomer is absolutely laying into him. He wants Vlad healthy scratched.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Late to the party here... but I was ok with the trade return. I'm not sure what people expected.
(And that conditional 4th rd pick will be a 3rd rd pick since the Rangers will make the playoffs.) The 1st is good. The 4th, er, 3rd is meh. The prospect is meh. But I like getting Blais back. Solid bottom six guy for us... and our bottom six has been a hodge podge of Brown, Walker, Pitlick & co. Not exactly ideal down there.
It's a rental for the Rangers. Everyone knew he wanted to be traded and he had a full NTC, so he could dictate where he went... that cuts into the return some.
Vladi was also having a down season compared to last... and last season may be an anomaly after his surgeries? I dunno... we'll see.
Tarasenko was a love/hate relationship the past few seasons. When he was on, he was great. But when he was off... he disappeared and couldn't do much. And like others have mentioned, until he scored the OT winner the other night, he was catching some flack for "disappearing" and not hustling... which, let's be honest... he did here off and on. That's just who he is. But he does have 5pts in his last 3 games... so the streakiness continues.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/