Offseason & Draft Priorities

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Offseason & Draft Priorities

Post by theohall »

Since it could take this season and next to revamp the defense...

That gives time for Buchinger to finish juniors (could get 2 more years if he stays as an over-ager for one season) and see what they've got in Marc-Andre Gaudet in Springfield.

Kessel will be fighting for a 7th spot behind Parayko, Faulk, and Bortuzzo. Noah Beck is another RD who is finishing out college this season at Clarkson. AFAIK. No idea what he could provide as a 6'3 right D, but at 180+ he needs to add weight. Don't expect anything from the other RD Hunter Skinner and Josh Jacobs who are basically filling out the Springfield roster.

Left side with Scandella still here - Krug, Leddy, and Scandella aren't leaving much of an opportunity for the LD in the system: Perunovich, Tucker, Loof, Rosen. And that doesn't include recent draft picks who are all LD. Just have to give it the 2 years and see how the following develop: Lindstein, Quinton Burns, Koromyslov, Fischer, and Mayich.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

gaijin
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by gaijin »

O'Reilly signing with Nashville upsets me probably more than it should. That fan base doesn't deserve him.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

It's interesting ROR chose Nashville over Toronto. The Leafs were offering essentially the same contract.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I noticed Kyrou was behind the bench at yesterday’s prospect scrimmage. Hopefully he wasn’t sharing sage advice on how to play a one dimensional game, seek out YouTube highlights and play video games all the damn time.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I always find the tubes on twitter so entertaining. They’re getting bent out of shape about Hugh McGing signing a new contract and at the same time asking if the Blues could be in on Karlsson. Ever hear of a) depth and b) the salary cap?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Toropchenko filed for arbitration.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Again with the idiots on twitter, they’re flipping out like this means Torpo is gone. Take a toke, folks… he’s not going anywhere. Casual fans amuse me.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Blues probably did the lowest offer they could so he filed... which any reasonable player would.

All it really means is they have to figure something out and if it actually reaches arbitration, the contract will have a max term.

There is a thing that tends to happen if a case actually does get arbitrated, instead of a deal being reached prior, the player is almost always traded either at the trade deadline or during the following off-season. (See Joel Edmundson).

My bet is they reach an agreement way before arbitration happens. He's not a 2.3M player, but he's also not a league minimum 775K player. It's not like it's going to be a long-term contract since almost no one, other than some guy named Lou, is giving out long term contracts.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

signing zadina would fit Armie's current mo of adding from the island of misfit toys
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I don’t want anyone else’s misfits anymore. Kapanen and Vrana, fine… as I see it there might be a competition for one roster spot on the 4th line and I’d rather that goes to Dean or Nathan Walker.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Something I really don't get...

Bolduc spent his entire time in juniors playing RW. Zero time at C other than filling in on a faceoff depending on which faceoff circle.

Mysteriously, Armstrong is on record saying they view Bolduc as a Center. On top of that, JR's interviews with DA indicate they expect Bolduc to be fighting in camp for a LW position.

This reeks of setting up a prospect for failure by having him compete for a position he hasn't played in over 4 years, if at all, and expecting him to eventually fill a position he hasn't played at all.

I get how the Blues started Thomas on the wing and eventually moved him to C, but he was a Center throughout Juniors. Trying to apply the same strategy to Bolduc makes no sense.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I saw that Sundqvist is coming back for $775k but waiting for official word.

Confirmed: Sunny came home

All that’s left to do now is get Torpo under contract and that’s it for the off-season, I guess. I don’t see a spot for Dean or Bolduc this year… also don’t see a spot for Perunovich. Maybe Army can trade Scandella during camp if someone loses a defenseman and needs someone urgently but that seems to be where things are right now.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Toropchenko signed. 2 years, 1.25M AAV

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

There are exactly zero spots for the kids on the big club this season. I’m tentatively planning to go to one of the November Springfield/Bridgeport games. Looking forward to seeing the prospects that might potentially be on the team in the next 3-5 seasons

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Given Vrana and Kapanen's history, I wouldn't pencil them in as automatics if any of the prospects have a great camp. They should have to earn the right to be there, unless Armstrong wants to play the delay game with ELC contracts for a year.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

RHD Jeremie Biakabutuka signed. Never heard of the guy, looked him up… that’s one way to get some defensive depth, I like the signing. Big body, RH, important. Maybe the first call up when Borts is inevitably injured.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Biakabutuka spent an over-age year in juniors, where he excelled in that one season. Scouting reports praise his ability to take good defensive angles, excellent skating ability and large wing-span to take away space further. Reads like a Mike Weber type defenseman. But this is most likely AHL depth with potential. I'd expect Kessel to get opportunities before Biakabutuka. It's interesting he signed for more than the minimum plus signing him for 3 years plus will still own his rights when that contract ends. It's a "prove it" contract for him.
2021 draft scouting report wrote:A mobile defender who possesses a massive frame and has the potential to add to his frame over the next couple of years. As a bigger player, he might surprise some with how mobile he is. He is light on his feet and has solid edgework allowing him to turn on a dime, adding to that he has above-average speed making him a threat in transition. He has the confidence to take the puck up and down the ice and contribute to his team’s transitional attack. He doesn’t crack under the pressure of the opposing forecheck, showing calmness and poise with his decision making. Biakabutuka can get careless with the puck, at times allowing his confidence to get the better of him. He has good vision but he attempts to make passes through tighter lanes despite there being a simpler outlet available to him. He has the raw physical tools that will appeal to teams, despite going through the draft once already he should have a decent chance at getting picked up this year especially given the lack of views on some other draft eligible players this year. If he can round out his all-around game, and continue to grow his offensive game he can find a way to contribute if a team takes a chance on him this year.
Given the Blues soft rebuild status, why not give undrafted guys shots with the AHL team?

LoganDF
Prospect
Prospect

Post by LoganDF »

Hi Guys,revanced
In the off-season, our team's top priorities should be strengthening our defense, securing a reliable quarterback, and addressing any key player contract situations. Additionally, we must focus on scouting promising talent for the draft to bolster our roster with skilled and versatile players. Strategic moves during this period will be critical to ensure a competitive and successful season ahead.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Isaac Ratcliffe is in on a PTO. I don’t understand the move and understand it less if they sign him.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »