Offseason & Draft Priorities

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Offseason & Draft Priorities

Post by theohall »

Blues went outside the box a bit hiring Mike Weber as an assistant to handle the defense. Seems like a good hire reading about how he's handled players as an assistant in juniors from 2018-20 and the AHL from 2020-2022. A couple of the defenseman he coached mentioned his ability to coach players to their strengths while getting them to play the way he believes they should.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

theohall wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:24 am
Blues went outside the box a bit hiring Mike Weber as an assistant to handle the defense. Seems like a good hire reading about how he's handled players as an assistant in juniors from 2018-20 and the AHL from 2020-2022. A couple of the defenseman he coached mentioned his ability to coach players to their strengths while getting them to play the way he believes they should.
JR had a good article on him on The Athletic. Seems like it was only a matter of time before he got an NHL gig. Sounds promising, I like it :grin: :thumbsup:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

This will require some magic on Army’s part but I’d love to see him use the later first rounders to get someone to bite on a couple of the overpriced defensemen… here’s looking at you Krug and Parayko, and then sign UFA Scott Mayfield.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

glen a richter wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:29 pm
This will require some magic on Army’s part but I’d love to see him use the later first rounders to get someone to bite on a couple of the overpriced defensemen… here’s looking at you Krug and Parayko, and then sign UFA Scott Mayfield.
this could be an interesting offseason with many teams looking to blow things up (Winnipeg the most obvious example)
army should be creative in using his assets
no one is likely to take Krug without a diabetes inducing sweetener but Parayko is apparently garnering some interest

unfortunately the hawks are in a sickeningly good position for their rebuild
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

If anyone is interested in The Athletic, there is currently a summer sale - 1$/month for 12 months. Completely worth it.

As to the Blues, I was thinking the same about Mayfield. He's due to get paid, but would be an excellent fit for the Blues and their new assistant coach who values the style of play Mayfield would provide.

Not surprised Parayko is in the rumor mill. Wouldn't be surprised at all if that's from Armstrong trying to gauge what kind of interest is out there given Parako's current contract and the down-turn in his play.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I’ve said it before… in a far less physical game sure-fire hall of famer Don Mattingly’s career was derailed by a back injury. Those are devastating and it’s hard for me to imagine that isn’t what’s going on with Parayko. Best for both sides to part ways and I think he knows it and would waive the NTC. Buffalo would be a good match.

Soniya87
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Soniya87 »

Hi Guys,youtube vanced download
In the offseason, teams should prioritize addressing key roster needs and strategic planning for the upcoming season. This includes evaluating player contracts, scouting potential free agents or trade targets, and developing a draft strategy. Building a solid foundation through player acquisitions and addressing positional weaknesses will be crucial. It's essential to strike a balance between immediate needs and long-term team goals to ensure sustained success. The draft presents an opportunity to secure young talent that aligns with the team's vision and fills specific positional gaps. :okman:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

From process of elimination it looks like Krug is holding up a trade with the Flyers. Hayes + Sanheim for Krug and a 1st.

I’d say shit trade anyway. Yes I want Krug gone and also yes I get that Perunovich is his much cheaper replacement if made-of-glass can actually stay healthy but what’s up with Hayes’ contract and why is Sanheim needed at all? Unless that all precedes other deals… a lot of cogs have to turn in the right direction all at the same time. Could get ugly fast.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

glen a richter wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:45 am
From process of elimination it looks like Krug is holding up a trade with the Flyers. Hayes + Sanheim for Krug and a 1st.

I’d say shit trade anyway. Yes I want Krug gone and also yes I get that Perunovich is his much cheaper replacement if made-of-glass can actually stay healthy but what’s up with Hayes’ contract and why is Sanheim needed at all? Unless that all precedes other deals… a lot of cogs have to turn in the right direction all at the same time. Could get ugly fast.
how much salary retention would be the key, presumably with us throwing in a 1st and a prospect, I would think Philly would be retaining a sizable amount and we would not at all

otherwise it wouldn't seemingly make us better or improve our cap situation

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

I saw rumors of phi retaining “a significant amount” of salary for hayes, in which case I think that side works. Blues need a 2-3 year retool and Hayes at $3.6-4m over 3 years is fine. (Iirc, DA talked about wanting another top9 guy and Hayes is probably a solid 5-7 kind of guy)

Sanheim seems like a solid 3/4, which we have a boatload of, and that deal is looong. I think that’s the bigger risk. If he doesn’t fit, oof that’s a long deal.

It’s definitely creative. Sanheim is 27 and at least tall, so likely at least 4-5 of the 7 years he should provide value. (If he fits, which is the big risk, as his ntc kicks in next month)
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

The issue with Hayes... He is one of those players who plays hard when he feels like it. When he does, he's really good. When he isn't "on", pucks wind up in your own zone way to often.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

theohall wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:26 am
The issue with Hayes... He is one of those players who plays hard when he feels like it. When he does, he's really good. When he isn't "on", pucks wind up in your own zone way to often.
Sounds like he’ll fit in with some of our guys. Lol/smh.

Jr confirms we get Hayes for a 2024 6th. (Phi retains 50% of his salary)

To me it seems clear that DA has a 2-3 year reload plan. Vrana, kapinen, Hayes. None signed past 3 years and all at reasonable/low $.

I like the move. Not wasting long term fa costs when the next two years are about developing and seeing what you have. Blues have the top9 forward DA talked about wanting (iirc)
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

JCShutout wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:54 am
Jr confirms we get Hayes for a 2024 6th. (Phi retains 50% of his salary)

To me it seems clear that DA has a 2-3 year reload plan. Vrana, kapinen, Hayes. None signed past 3 years and all at reasonable/low $.

I like the move. Not wasting long term fa costs when the next two years are about developing and seeing what you have. Blues have the top9 forward DA talked about wanting (iirc)
I like this better than the original deal.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Way better than the original deal. Keep all three 1sts or package Krug and a 1st for someone’s 2nd?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Hayes for a bag of pucks at 3.5? OK...

If the Blues can actually manage to play winning hockey, maybe he won't quit mid-season like he did to Torts.

That being said, good point about the soft rebuild with low value contracts on relatively short terms.

As an aside, if the Blues don't move Parayko, he might have a resurgence under Weber's coaching considering his talent as an assistant was for getting the most out of players based on their size and style of play.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Blues did not make qualifying offers to Logan Brown or Dmitri Samorukov making them UFAs.

McGing, Tucker, and Toropchenko all received offers. Both McGing and Toropchenko have arbitration rights, so we'll see.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

Looks like Mayfield must really like the Islanders signing for 7 years at under 3.5M AAV. He likely could've gotten in at least the 5 range elsewhere.

Tucker has already signed. Blues only unsigned players are McGing and Toropchenko, both with arbitration rights, and the Blues having 2.36M in cap space available. McGing should wind up on a 2-way, so barring any further deals (which I still expect to happen), signing both won't be an issue.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

So right now the Blues are essentially rolling out the same team that finished last season plus Kevin Hayes and adjusting based on what prospects do in camp.

Thinking about Bolduc, during the playoffs in the Q, he essentially kept doing what Thomas did quite a bit of in his rookie season trying to force risky passes in transition, which is correctable. He gets that straightened out and he should be the Tarasenko replacement with his shooting ability. Dean should replace Barbashev, since Thomas, Hayes, Schenn, and MacEachern are the "natural" centers. And we know Schenn does just fine playing on a wing.

Should be interesting seeing how this group shapes up in camp, since I have no idea what the lines are going to be. Given how the World Championships went, I'd find a way to play Neighbours and Blais together - like Neighbours/Dean/Blais as a 3a/3b line, instead of having a true "4th line". Meanwhile, put Toropchenko on the LW with Schenn and Vrana as the other 3a/3b. Dean is capable of being the primary defensive center for d-zone faceoffs the Blues are currently missing.

Top 2:
Saad-Thomas-Kyrou
Buchnevich-Hayes-Kapanen (though this might have to change with 2 defensively challenged forwards on the same line.)

Roll their ice times based on how they play. They could wind up having 4 lines getting equal ice time at even strength, while the stars get their extra time on the power play. It would stop that "getting enough time to make youtube highlights" crap.

No, Bolduc isn't in this mix, yet, because I see the Blues having him fix his transitional issues in the A.

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by flyingnote38 »

first day of free agency was a better day for ex blues than for blues fans
o'Reilly, johnson, reaves, eller, mikkola, even pitlick got deals in a cash strapped environment
I would have preferred taking a 750k flyer on someone who might be better than that (wheeler eg) than Mmc who is what he is

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I’m ok with the depth signings. Army can call it a retool, a rebuild or whatever the hell he wants but the bottom line is that he’s rebuilding the forwards and will rebuild the defense separately if he can. Obviously he’s painted himself into a corner with the NTCs and I don’t really see the team doing a whole lot better next season unless Weber can pull a rabbit out of a hat with the blue liners. If Parayko or Krug can play better maybe Army can find more suitors and convince them next offseason to take one for the team then revamp the defense with kids and free agents sans the no trade clause BS this time.