Just a commentary on the PP and trade deadline stuff

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Just a commentary on the PP and trade deadline stuff

Post by theohall »

So under Berube and Ott through mid-December, the Blues PP was one of the worst in the league. There was no net front presence and puck movement was WAY to slow.

Changes. Berube gets fired, Bannister gets promoted (Dec 13th ish) and Brad Richards is hired as a consultant to specifically address the power play. It took about 2 weeks, but then it started clicking. Instead of playing what was effectively a stationary 1-3-1 power play, it shifted to more of a 2-3 look where the wings and the bumper would collapse to the net if one of the wingers or the point man were given space enough to skate the puck. This led to goals on the PP being scored from within 10 feet of the net thanks to the d-man or forward working the blueline getting the puck towards the net and relying on the 3 forwards to either finish or tip in the initial shot. This East Coast road trip - that collapsing to the net on the PP vanished. It takes a conscious effort to go somewhere someone is already standing and the Blues seem to have lost the message, already, after only 3 and half months, despite the success it showed.

Heck, Neighbours goal vs LA - was the way PP goals happen, only it was even strength. LA got caught deep, Faulk jumped in on offense, Bolduc made a great pass to Faulk, and Neighbours benefited be going to the net. There are 4 forwards (maybe 7) I can name who consistently play their identity - Toropchenko, Walker, Sundqvist, Neighbours and (the maybes) Thomas, Saad, and Schenn. Defensively, Parayko, Leddy, and Faulk deserve their time. While someone is going to point out Krug's assists, he gives up as many as he generates.

What bothers me - knowing the Avs were willing to deal Bowen Byram.... He's the kind of player who giving up Kyrou would be worth. I just doubt the Avs would even consider making that in division trade. Besides, the Avs needed a center. Buchnevich plus picks for Byram - if that had been offered, I would have done it.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season