offseason

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

flyingnote38
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

offseason

Post by flyingnote38 »

the blues somehow managed to be better than I expected. that the Blues were competitive with the defending cup champs for the last wild card spot until the final week of the season and would still be contending in the East, was better than I would have expected before the season.

Armie has a chance this offseason to start making the team better, not just different. The first wavelet of expiring bad contracts (Scandella, Kapanen, Vrana, Blais) and a cap bump gives the Blues almost $13 mill in cap space heading into an offseason in which no one needs to get paid (at least not that will affect the 2024-5 payroll).

the only RFAs are Alexandrov and Parunovich, neither of whom should crack a million. they may extend Buch, but the new contract will start in the 2025-6 season when another additional $5 mill of cap space is anticipated. that leaves $11 mill to work with.

while there are a few UFAs that would likely help the club (Reinhart, Guentzel, Lindholm), there aren't a lot of top tier UFAs this offseason and I doubt the Blues will win any bidding wars. The cap space should give army flexibility in the trade market though as he won't need to match salary in/out.

a new coach and a more competitive roster should keep the Blues entertaining while we await the return to true competitiveness around about 2026-7.
2016-7 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2017-8 sponsor of Tage Thompson
2018-9 sponsor of Ryan O'Reilly
2019-20 sponsor of old time hockey
2020-21 sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2021-22 sponsor of Pavel Buchnevich
2022-23 sponsor of Brayden Schenn
2023-24 sponsor of Justin Faulk

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: offseason

Post by theohall »

Give Zach Dean a shot at center. His defensive positioning and faceoff percentage for someone "adjusting" to the NHL have been excellent. And for the love of pete, don't let Buch play center. He's a GREAT winger and a terrible center.

Scandella can go....
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

I’m not sure I really want them to use that cap space yet, unless it’s really for someone for that next window. I can’t see us being able to move a dman, so we would just have to wait it out another year or two. (I’m hoping Krug might be easily moved or bought out in his last year)

I’d sign a couple short term depth guys, middle six or so, to give the kids competition.

Take another year to see what you have.

I mean, sure, if you can find another schenn/buchy type trade where we turn a lot of meh into a top6 guy, but I just don’t see that happening all that often. (I almost added ror as a similar trade but since we gave up Thompson (but got the cup!!!) I call it a win-win trade.

I’d just keep acquiring picks and prospects
2021 Sponsor of Jordan Binnington
2016-17 Sponsor of David Perron
2015-16 Sponsor of Dmitri Jaškin

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

1. Hire a coach within the next month
2. Try to get a 2nd pick in the 1st round (Calgary has 3) - I'd include Perunovich in a deal (See below)
3. Either way, draft a RHD in the 1st round
4. Try to unload Krug again
5. Give Dvorsky a very long look in camp
6. Give Peterson a look in camp as a bottom 6'er
7. Give Lindstein a look but proceed with caution and have a stopgap who can fill in for Perunovich's minutes
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Sell the franchise to investors in Pickle Lake, Ontario, and let it go there where it belongs.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:03 am
2. Try to get a 2nd pick in the 1st round (Calgary has 3) - I'd include Perunovich in a deal (See below)
7. Give Lindstein a look but proceed with caution and have a stopgap who can fill in for Perunovich's minutes
I'd kinda like to see what Perunovich could do no his natural side instead of being forced to play the wrong side every flipping night. But... that hasn't happened since he started college, so who knows? At the same time, he does have some serious defensive warts that are entirely size related... just like Krug who has them worse since it's now lack of size and lack of speed.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

glen a richter wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:03 am
I'd kinda like to see what Perunovich could do no his natural side instead of being forced to play the wrong side every flipping night. But... that hasn't happened since he started college, so who knows? At the same time, he does have some serious defensive warts that are entirely size related... just like Krug who has them worse since it's now lack of size and lack of speed.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

One name I’ve seen tossed around for a while now has been David Carle. Would you go for a 34 year old coach who hasn’t gone beyond the college ranks? I’m extremely hesitant. Is there something I don’t know about this guy that people are actually talking about him besides that he’d be able to connect with young players in a way someone like Lindy Ruff, for example, couldn’t?

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

David Carle was Jim Montgomery's assistant coach in Denver. He and Montgomery are the guys behind Denver's last 3 NCAA championships, Carle as HC for 2 of them. If he has the same coaching style as Montgomery, I'd definitely want him as an HC, considering how successful Montgomery has been bringing his coaching game to the NHL. And we know what the Blues offense looked like with Montgomery as an Assistant Coach for the Blues.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

David Carle was Jim Montgomery's assistant coach in Denver. He and Montgomery are the guys behind Denver's last 3 NCAA championships, Carle as HC for 2 of them. If he has the same coaching style as Montgomery, I'd definitely want him as an HC, considering how successful Montgomery has been bringing his coaching game to the NHL. And we know what the Blues offense looked like with Montgomery as an Assistant Coach for the Blues.

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by theohall »

David Carle was Jim Montgomery's assistant coach in Denver. He and Montgomery are the guys behind Denver's last 3 NCAA championships, Carle as HC for 2 of them. If he has the same coaching style as Montgomery, I'd definitely want him as an HC, considering how successful Montgomery has been bringing his coaching game to the NHL. And we know what the Blues offense looked like with Montgomery as an Assistant Coach for the Blues. Prior to joining Dallas, Montgomery had zero NHL coaching experience, too.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Three Swedes signed to ELC's...

Two guys I never heard of until yesterday, a RHD Samuel Johannesson and a forward Marcus Sylvegard, and then I had this sneaking suspicion Simon Robertsson wasn't far behind and sure enough he signed one too. Steener is really pulling his weight. We'll see how these guys turn out, I assume we're looking at AHL depth with all three. Robertsson in particular I hope he finds his game once he comes over here. Nothing spectacular over in Sweden but supposed to have a great shot.

BamaBlue
Prospect
Prospect

Post by BamaBlue »

Do you give Dvorsky the 10 games to see what he has? Many may not remember Pietrangelo had two such auditions in 08-09 & 09-10 before he was able to stick.