Reyes Traded

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Reyes Traded

Postby theohall » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:29 pm

Story

CLEVELAND -- Anthony Reyes, who won Game 1 of the 2006 World Series for St. Louis, was traded by the Cardinals on Saturday to the Cleveland Indians for minor league pitcher Luis Perdomo.

The 26-year-old Reyes has split this season between the Cardinals' bullpen and the starting rotation at Triple-A Memphis. The right-hander was on St. Louis' Opening Day roster and went 2-1 with a save in 10 relief appearances. He was placed on the disabled list in June with a sprained right elbow.

At Memphis, Reyes was 2-3 with a 3.25 ERA in 11 starts.

Two years ago, Reyes held Detroit to four hits in eight-plus innings as the Cardinals won the Series opener and beat the Tigers in five games to win the title.

Perdomo has made nine appearances at Double-A Akron. The 24-year-old began the season at Class-A Kinston.

It was the second trade of the day for the Indians, who earlier dealt third baseman Casey Blake to the Los Angeles Dodgers for switch-hitting catcher Carlos Santana and pitcher Jonathan Meloan.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press


Luis Perdomo numbers.

Compares favorably to one of the Cards top relief prospects at AA right now. Luke Gregerson

No - this isn't a "fix the big club problems now" type trade. This is just a clearing space at AAA by moving Reyes and adding another relief pitching prospect deal. The concern among prospect watchers is he's 24 at still at AA. But it doesn't look like he's been pitching that long in the minors compared to similar aged relief prospects.
(FRANK) the Kings!!!!
User avatar
theohall
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 3653
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:49 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: Reyes Traded

Postby stlmark » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:16 pm

:?
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka
User avatar
stlmark
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:12 am
Location: over there ---->

Re: Reyes Traded

Postby Leedog » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:55 am

Makes no sense to me at all. Reason not to make a deal for a guy to help the team down the stretch like the Cubs and Brewers? We don't wanna mortgage the future. OK, I'll buy that. But the one blue chip prospect that we are willing to part with we trade for someone that we send to AA. Now we don't have him to try to get help for today. They dont want to win. Just sell tix.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12
User avatar
Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 3323
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:00 pm
Location: sec 316

Re: Reyes Traded

Postby dmiles2186 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:46 pm

Leedog wrote:Makes no sense to me at all. Reason not to make a deal for a guy to help the team down the stretch like the Cubs and Brewers? We don't wanna mortgage the future. OK, I'll buy that. But the one blue chip prospect that we are willing to part with we trade for someone that we send to AA. Now we don't have him to try to get help for today. They dont want to win. Just sell tix.


I'm not really sure what you thought we'd get for Anthony Reyes. I wouldn't call him a "blue chip prospect" anymore. This trade says to me that the Cardinals lost all faith in him, he was passed up the organizational depth chart by Boggs, Garcia, Parisi, and they moved him in probably the best deal they could find. Anythony Reyes isn't exactly held in the highest regard in major league circles anymore. I'm happy with the trade. We get rid of a massive headache and we got a young bullpen arm that looks like he has a bright future. Nothing wrong with that. Thanks for Game One, Mr. Flatbill. Good riddance.
Image

Official 2013-2014 Sponsor Extraordinaire of Alex "Petro" Pietrangelo
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5896
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: Reyes Traded

Postby theohall » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:53 pm

dmiles2186 wrote:
Leedog wrote:Makes no sense to me at all. Reason not to make a deal for a guy to help the team down the stretch like the Cubs and Brewers? We don't wanna mortgage the future. OK, I'll buy that. But the one blue chip prospect that we are willing to part with we trade for someone that we send to AA. Now we don't have him to try to get help for today. They dont want to win. Just sell tix.


I'm not really sure what you thought we'd get for Anthony Reyes. I wouldn't call him a "blue chip prospect" anymore. This trade says to me that the Cardinals lost all faith in him, he was passed up the organizational depth chart by Boggs, Garcia, Parisi, and they moved him in probably the best deal they could find. Anythony Reyes isn't exactly held in the highest regard in major league circles anymore. I'm happy with the trade. We get rid of a massive headache and we got a young bullpen arm that looks like he has a bright future. Nothing wrong with that. Thanks for Game One, Mr. Flatbill. Good riddance.


Reyes definitely lost the blue chip prospect label when he couldn't handle more than 5 innings with any consistency at both the ML and AAA level. With the closer situation as it is in St Louis and Perez proving to be a 1 inning pitcher per game only - stocking up on potential closers is a good idea. Perdomo is a potential closer.
(FRANK) the Kings!!!!
User avatar
theohall
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 3653
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:49 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: Reyes Traded

Postby dmiles2186 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:20 pm

theohall wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
Leedog wrote:Makes no sense to me at all. Reason not to make a deal for a guy to help the team down the stretch like the Cubs and Brewers? We don't wanna mortgage the future. OK, I'll buy that. But the one blue chip prospect that we are willing to part with we trade for someone that we send to AA. Now we don't have him to try to get help for today. They dont want to win. Just sell tix.


I'm not really sure what you thought we'd get for Anthony Reyes. I wouldn't call him a "blue chip prospect" anymore. This trade says to me that the Cardinals lost all faith in him, he was passed up the organizational depth chart by Boggs, Garcia, Parisi, and they moved him in probably the best deal they could find. Anythony Reyes isn't exactly held in the highest regard in major league circles anymore. I'm happy with the trade. We get rid of a massive headache and we got a young bullpen arm that looks like he has a bright future. Nothing wrong with that. Thanks for Game One, Mr. Flatbill. Good riddance.


Reyes definitely lost the blue chip prospect label when he couldn't handle more than 5 innings with any consistency at both the ML and AAA level. With the closer situation as it is in St Louis and Perez proving to be a 1 inning pitcher per game only - stocking up on potential closers is a good idea. Perdomo is a potential closer.


Exactly. That's why I love the trade. The guy was dominant at AA. His numbers aren't as great at AAA, but they still aren't terrible. It's a low risk/high reward kind of move, and I like those moves.
Image

Official 2013-2014 Sponsor Extraordinaire of Alex "Petro" Pietrangelo
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5896
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: Reyes Traded

Postby Leedog » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:44 pm

W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR BB SO
2008 4 2 2.76 16 6 0 0 1 1 49.0 47 15 15 4 15 25

These are Reyes's stats with Cleveland after the trade. Are you sure this was such a great trade now? Especially since we just lost Perdomo in the Rule 5 Draft?
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12
User avatar
Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 3323
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:00 pm
Location: sec 316

Re: Reyes Traded

Postby dmiles2186 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:48 am

Well, I've thought all along that Reyes just needed a change of scenery. But I'm not happy that Perdomo was part of a trade and then not protected in the Rule 5 draft.
Image

Official 2013-2014 Sponsor Extraordinaire of Alex "Petro" Pietrangelo
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5896
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach


Return to Everything Else [OT]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest