Any Law School students in the house?! (LSAT crap)

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Any Law School students in the house?! (LSAT crap)

Post by WaukeeBlues »

My GPA is VERY solid (3.64 cumulative) but I'm starting to hit panic mode on the LSAT. I take it next Monday. The first, official practice that I took of the test was back in February and I think I got a 157 on it... which was awesome. I picked up a "Cracking the LSAT" book from Barnes and Noble, been studying for about a month- taking in things that were good, and trusting myself on things I was already doing right that the book told me to change.

Anyway- SINCE I've studied for about a month, my most recent practice tests that I've taken on my own have yielded scores of 151, and 149. Basically- I'm kind of freaking out. I know where many of my problems lie but the thing of it is, I KNOW how to take this damn test format-wise but my scores stay low.

Were there any particular study methods or materials that really helped you get over a hump and do well? Suggestions more generally?

I work on questions every day for about an hour (at least). I'm documenting my own arguments questions that I'm getting wrong to figure out what type I keep missing, why, etc, etc.

Logic games I'm generally okay- I'm usually able to do all of them but sometimes there's one that stumps me. Reading comp I'm good I just gotta go faster.

Does it all magically come together on test day? Did your official LSAT score basically reflect what you had been getting on practice lsats?

I realize this is VERY last minute but I just need input from people that have been there. Appreciate it.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Steve Levy Sucks
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Any Law School students in the house?! (LSAT crap)

Post by Steve Levy Sucks »

WaukeeBlues wrote: I KNOW how to take this damn test format-wise but my scores stay low.
Maybe you're just stupid.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Here's my LSAT story:

I was up pounding booze 'til 2 am the night before, and had to leave the house at 7 am. Didn't really study for it except for a few hours while drinking that top shelf bourbon and a few hours several weeks before. Went there, forgot to bring a long sleeved shirt or jacket to wear so I was freezing and also forgot to bring change or a snack so I could eat. I had one Nutri Grain bar before I left the house.

So, hung over, cold, hungry, tired...I was miserable. However, I have always kicked ass on tests. It's just one of my things.

I think had I been well rested, warm and had food in my stomach, I could have gotten at least a 165. I've considered taking it again, but 159 ain't bad at all. I didn't answer 5 questions either. That was the first section. The last few minutes whizzed by. Make sure when they warn you at 5 minutes or whatever, I forget when they warn you, you shore up any boxes at the end or questions you skipped.

Learn from my mistakes. Get rest, bring a shirt and snacks.

And fwiw, the few practice tests I took I didn't score very well on. I don't think I broke 150. But when it comes time for real to take a test, I get a little rabid and my concentration really kicks in. But that's just me. If you're the same way, you should do fine because the proctors really control the room like Nazis so it will be quiet for sure with little to no distractions.

I expected my score to be around what my practice tests were which was generally the high 140s. I scored 10 higher, essentially.

If you're a bad test taker, you may be fukked. It's a pressure situation when you're trying to think about those fukken questions and you know the clock is ticking for real. :shock: :okman:
Last edited by goon attack on Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

Sounds like you are screwed.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Wait a sec...you picked up the "Cracking the LSAT" book? Dude....you are FUKKED. That book is notorious for making people tank come test day.
:shock:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

goon attack wrote:Wait a sec...you picked up the "Cracking the LSAT" book? Dude....you are FUKKED. That book is notorious for making people tank come test day.
The fail rate/ratio for users of that book is rather notorious. I thought law schools across the country issued warnings about that book. I cannot believe that company still puts that book out. Anything to make a buck I guess.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

goon attack wrote:Wait a sec...you picked up the "Cracking the LSAT" book? Dude....you are FUKKED. That book is notorious for making people tank come test day.
:lol: oh well.

I looked over a few reviews of the book recently and the biggest thing I've seen is that many people say the questions in the book aren't what really appears on the LSAT- so I snagged many of the previous REAL LSAT's from my Pre-Law Center here and use those for my practice.

Honestly, the things I got the most out of that book are more format-wise things. What questions to do first, which to avoid until the end, and just general things like that.

They go through each and every single Arguments 'type' and have a ton of different ways that you can supposedly get them all right, I realized it would take a superhuman to be able to get an arguments section done by using their method- it takes too damn long. That's basically how I approach their book. Just in general- suggestions I thought were good I took and ones that I thought questionable or notorious (from what I've been reading from others now that I keep hearing bad things) I've scrapped.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

The world always needs more ditch diggers.

TC

Post by TC »

TEH ANGAR OF TEH GAVEL!!!

(Frank) you i hope you die in a hotel fire.

the knob
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by the knob »

STL JA wrote:The world always needs more ditch diggers.
It sure as hell doesn't need more lawyers.

tsblue
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by tsblue »

STL JA wrote:The world always needs more ditch diggers.
Way more useful than having more lawyers...