bitching....again

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Which of these things is most irritating?

the heartbreak of psoriasis
No votes
the fact that Dominik Hasek still exists
20%
people who shuffle through parking lot aisles in front of you at speeds normally associated with glaciers
27%
the plight of the red ape
7%
these damn kids today
46%

Total votes: 71

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: bitching....again

Post by ksbluesfan »

After a year of design and testing, everything fell apart in one day in production. I'm not at fault, but I have to clean it up. Damn. There goes all of my free time for the next week or so.

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

SIU LAW wrote:Motorhead are finally coming to St. Louis after years of waiting...but its the same night (8/20) as the NIN concert...which I already bought scalper proof/non-resale tickets for.

(FRANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
You could drive to Chicago the day before and see Motorhead there. The closest they're going to get to Denver is Albuquerque. I keep hoping they'll announce more dates for that tour. An out of town trip for a concert is not really feasible anymore with a baby now.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

Blueline29
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Blueline29 »

Note to any cats who may be reading this: If you ever decide to jump up on your owner's bed via her leg and feel yourself losing grip, do her a favor and don't franking dig in for traction, OK?

And note to owners: Keep the big franking bandaids on hand. At all times. Like the size you might use to cover an appendectomy scar with. Grrrrr. I look like I was attacked by a knife-wielding midget.

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

ksbluesfan wrote:After a year of design and testing, everything fell apart in one day in production. I'm not at fault, but I have to clean it up. Damn. There goes all of my free time for the next week or so.
Man, it's like I'm psychic or something. And it's starting to rain, so I may never cut my swamp/yard again.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

Blueline29 wrote:Note to any cats who may be reading this: If you ever decide to jump up on your owner's bed via her leg and feel yourself losing grip, do her a favor and don't franking dig in for traction, OK?

And note to owners: Keep the big franking bandaids on hand. At all times. Like the size you might use to cover an appendectomy scar with. Grrrrr. I look like I was attacked by a knife-wielding midget.
I didn't do it. I swear. I bet it was stlbluz.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

You know all of us midgets look the same. :oops:
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Prngr44 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:And I was considering just having him build it up to the point where we could move in...and then finish the rest myself. It all depends on what the estimate is.
What sucks about that is that new building code (at least in St. Clair) requires you to be 100% complete before they grant you an occupancy permit. An example: I had planned on buying my interior doors over time and just hanging them once I was in... they're saying I can't do that. :( I'll probably be calling them this coming week; I'll let you know what I find out.
Well, we're building in Edwardsville (Madison County)...so maybe the codes are different.

But that's messed up. Who the (Frank) cares if you don't have interior doors up when you move in?

And we got our estimate back from one of the contractors...and it was a bit high. So we'll be cutting costs a bit here and there.
For some reason, our plans had our roof at a 10-12 pitch....which is pretty steep...and more expensive. And the fireplace was also drawn up as a masonry fireplace, which we were told is hardly done anymore because of the cost.
Reducing the pitch of the roof and making the fireplace metal instead of masonry will save us almost $10k right there.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

Yeah, we went with a prefab fireplace instead of masonry. One of our cost savers was doing 3/4 brick instead of all brick. You can save a few k if you don't have them plaster your garage, just firetape the common walls. I'll try to remember if we did another other obvious ones.

If you need to buy appliances, or flooring... check in MO to avoid paying sales tax. My flooring is getting installed now so if they do a decent job I'll pass their contact info on if you want to check them out.

My current bitch involves a builder who won't fix a leaky part of the house which will prevent the flooring from being 100% installed.

:evil:

Steve Levy Sucks
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Steve Levy Sucks »

cprice12 wrote:
Prngr44 wrote:
cprice12 wrote:And I was considering just having him build it up to the point where we could move in...and then finish the rest myself. It all depends on what the estimate is.
What sucks about that is that new building code (at least in St. Clair) requires you to be 100% complete before they grant you an occupancy permit. An example: I had planned on buying my interior doors over time and just hanging them once I was in... they're saying I can't do that. :( I'll probably be calling them this coming week; I'll let you know what I find out.
Well, we're building in Edwardsville (Madison County)...so maybe the codes are different.

But that's messed up. Who the (Frank) cares if you don't have interior doors up when you move in?

And we got our estimate back from one of the contractors...and it was a bit high. So we'll be cutting costs a bit here and there.
For some reason, our plans had our roof at a 10-12 pitch....which is pretty steep...and more expensive. And the fireplace was also drawn up as a masonry fireplace, which we were told is hardly done anymore because of the cost.
Reducing the pitch of the roof and making the fireplace metal instead of masonry will save us almost $10k right there.
You may have already done this, but becareful with changing the roof pitch to save money.

Same thing with our roof pitch, contractor came back and said if we change the pitch from 11/12 down to 8/12 we could save about $12,000 (less material, less labor). That's a huge savings, BUT - a lot of house plans now are drawn up with a specific roof pitch in mind, and if you change that, you could be changing the look of the house drastically, to something that may not look right, or even stupid.

Just a suggestion, but before you actually change the roof, have the elevation plans; front, back, and both sides, redrawn to show the change in pitch, it may effect your decision.

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

Steeper roofs need to be replaced less frequently too.

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

ksbluesfan wrote:Steeper roofs need to be replaced less frequently too.
What if the shingles are made of stretched Redwing fans' skin???

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

That would make a cool theme house.. Every material made out of the corpse of Red Wings fans. I'd pay top dollar for that. 8)

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

Prngr44 wrote:
ksbluesfan wrote:Steeper roofs need to be replaced less frequently too.
What if the shingles are made of stretched Redwing fans' skin???
Can you imagine the stench? Dead Red Wings fans probably smell even worse than the living ones.

Blueline29
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Blueline29 »

OS wrote:
Blueline29 wrote:Note to any cats who may be reading this: If you ever decide to jump up on your owner's bed via her leg and feel yourself losing grip, do her a favor and don't franking dig in for traction, OK?

I didn't do it. I swear. I bet it was stlbluz.
LOL!! I can't believe I just saw this. :lol:

And for anyone who may be concerned, it actually now looks like I'm shootin' for a Bride of Frankenstein motif. Oh yeah, it's hot. 8)

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Steve Levy Sucks wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
Prngr44 wrote:

You may have already done this, but becareful with changing the roof pitch to save money.

Same thing with our roof pitch, contractor came back and said if we change the pitch from 11/12 down to 8/12 we could save about $12,000 (less material, less labor). That's a huge savings, BUT - a lot of house plans now are drawn up with a specific roof pitch in mind, and if you change that, you could be changing the look of the house drastically, to something that may not look right, or even stupid.

Just a suggestion, but before you actually change the roof, have the elevation plans; front, back, and both sides, redrawn to show the change in pitch, it may effect your decision.
Well, if I would ever get sent .pdf versions of my plans, I'd post them so you could see them. I was supposed to get those sent to me weeks ago.
And that's a good idea about having the elevations redrawn with the newly suggested pitch.
One of the reasons a new pitch was suggested, was because the great room in the front of the house is octagon shaped and the ceiling extends all of the way up to the roof, so where the roof for the great room connects with the rest of the roof, it's all goofy and complicated because of the octagon shape. So the trusses are not only at a steeper pitch, but also has to be custom made...which makes them even more expensive.
And I think since the cone shaped roof of the great room is relatively steep and tall, the rest of the roof is steep and tall to match.
Once I hear back from the contractor on the newly suggested pitch of the roof, I'll go back to my architect and see what he says.
However...our house will be up on a hill of sorts and sits on five acres, and the road driving up to the house is slightly lower. So the roof is not as prominent as it would be in a standard subdivision, PLUS, it wouldn't have houses all around it to easily compare roof pitch to roof pitch.
We'll see.
Thanks for the input.

edit: on the other hand, a lower pitch will allow me to go on the roof if need be. I wouldn't be up on the roof with a 10-12 pitch. And I'm not worried about the roof not lasting quite as long at a lower pitch.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

Just don't do something you're going to regret later, because you can't exactly change it. I'm guessing that you're building this house with the intent of being there for the rest of your life. If that's the case, build the way you want, even if it costs an extra $10K.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

OS wrote:Just don't do something you're going to regret later, because you can't exactly change it. I'm guessing that you're building this house with the intent of being there for the rest of your life. If that's the case, build the way you want, even if it costs an extra $10K.
I agree.

Just be careful with picking and choosing your cost savings beforehand because you'll undoubtedly add 10-15% in upgrades, changes, overruns, etc. before it's all said and done. An example would be my wife wanting a copper rooftop on the front porch. We priced those out and they're looking to come in around 4k just for the damn topper plus 1k for the rest of the porch. If I went with a regular shingled roof, add about 100 to the 1k. A rooftop for a porch is a lot easier (and cheaper) to replace than the trusses in your living room.

Steve Levy Sucks
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Steve Levy Sucks »

Where our 15 acres is located, the only option is propane. To get a conventional HVAC system in was going to be around $11,000, instead we decided to go with geothermal. It cost another $14,000 up front, but it provides all of our heat, all of our AC and 90% of our hot water and only jacks the cost of electrical up by around $40 a month. The system will pay for itself in 4 years and i'll never have to pay the outrageous prices of propane.

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

Steve Levy Sucks wrote:Where our 15 acres is located, the only option is propane. To get a conventional HVAC system in was going to be around $11,000, instead we decided to go with geothermal. It cost another $14,000 up front, but it provides all of our heat, all of our AC and 90% of our hot water and only jacks the cost of electrical up by around $40 a month. The system will pay for itself in 4 years and i'll never have to pay the outrageous prices of propane.
++ to the geothermal!

My unit finally got charged over the weekend so I really have no clue what the operational costs involved will be like. I'm not sure when you installed yours but ours was about 9k more than conventional and since our city supplies its own electric (F you Ameren!) our break even point was about 8 years since our price per Kwh was much lower.

God I can't wait to move in.....

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Steve Levy Sucks wrote:Where our 15 acres is located, the only option is propane. To get a conventional HVAC system in was going to be around $11,000, instead we decided to go with geothermal. It cost another $14,000 up front, but it provides all of our heat, all of our AC and 90% of our hot water and only jacks the cost of electrical up by around $40 a month. The system will pay for itself in 4 years and i'll never have to pay the outrageous prices of propane.
We've been on again and off again with geothermal.
We really, really, really want it. And we may end up getting it if we can get a quote for around 14k or so.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO