2 well known faces in STL gone...

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

mckee_74
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

2 well known faces in STL gone...

Post by mckee_74 »

besides weight being dealt, the Cards traded Jim Edmonds to the Padres today, what a crazy day to be a STL fan.....
Blocking shots does not hurt, losing hurts!

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

are u (Franking) shitting me

honestly

wow.

just wow.

I'm not that pissed about weight, but i absolutely loved edmonds. I hope he does great things in San Diego. Good Luck to him.

JCShutout
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by JCShutout »

I think the rumor is the Cards got a crappy prospect for Edmonds.

The Blues got talent for Weight.

Blueline29
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Blueline29 »

JCShutout wrote:I think the rumor is the Cards got a crappy prospect for Edmonds.

The Blues got talent for Weight.
I commented in the other thread, but I'm still so pissed about this I'll bitch a little more. For the 1st time in 20+ years, I hope my parents don't renew their Cards season tickets. Why the hell should they? Goddamn ownership hamstrings Jocketty so he can't sign desperately-needed pitching before last season despite there being more $$$ to throw around due to revenues generated by the new stadium, WS championship and merch sales related to it, etc. Then, after a shitty season in '07, they can Jocketty AND raise season ticket prices AND add insult to injury by then sending out an email to STHs thanking them for their "support." Unfortunately, I don't think enough Cards fans are going to be pissed off enough to stay away from games (thereby imparting the message that this kind of shit is NOT what we want to support) so ownership & mgmt will continue to skip down the primrose path while the franchise is reduced to a laughable shell of itself.

I hope DeWitt, Mozeliak, et. al. get hit by a crosstown bus--ideally immediately--before they have a chance to trade Pujols for a ball of string and a handful of magic beans.

barnburner
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by barnburner »

For the first time since I've been an adult, I didn't buy a single Cardinal ticket last year. (Went to one game, because I was given tickets). I refused to condone the ownership's obvious and unfortunately - accurate - conclusion that they could just rest on the laurel's of the World Series win, and focus on fattening their bank accounts, knowing the loyal fans would keep shelling out the money regardless of how bad the product was.

I certainly won't be spending any money on Cardinal tickets this season either.

mckee_74
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by mckee_74 »

It's good to hear some others feel the same way I do. Its ridiculous how much tickets are for a team that sucks... I love the Cardinals, but they have jacked up the tickets only to trade away the salary players in the lineup for 'prospects" that suck, sounds like the lauries to me.... If they dont use the money they freed up when trading edmonds to acquire a good starting pitcher i wont buy a ticket next year either, except to padres games to cheer for Jimmy, he was my all time fav!
Blocking shots does not hurt, losing hurts!

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

Let's just wait and see what the Cardinals do w/ the open payroll before we flip our wigs.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Doesn't matter, Brewers are going to run away with it this year... :wink: :grin:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Doesn't matter, Brewers are going to run away with it this year... :wink: :grin:
That wouldn't surprise me.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Doesn't matter, Brewers are going to run away with it this year... :wink: :grin:
You mean St. Louis is going to get franked by TWO Brewers? What irony.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

I guess I'm the only one here who thought Jim "dive for balls that you should already be under" Edmonds was a tad overrated. Was he good? Of course, but I never thought he was all that.

It IS disappointing because I know that they won't replace him with anyone worth a shit.

Rohan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Rohan »

Ruutu15 wrote:I guess I'm the only one here who thought Jim "dive for balls that you should already be under" Edmonds was a tad overrated. Was he good? Of course, but I never thought he was all that.

It IS disappointing because I know that they won't replace him with anyone worth a shit.
Maybe not next year, but Rasmus projects to be pretty damn good.
Pay heed, All who enter, Beware of the Phog

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Ruutu15 wrote:I guess I'm the only one here who thought Jim "dive for balls that you should already be under" Edmonds was a tad overrated. Was he good? Of course, but I never thought he was all that.

I don't think Edmonds was overrated. He was an excellent outfielder who was able to play insanely shallow to take away a lot of bloop hits, yet he was able to get back on the deep balls as well.

And as far as his excessive diving goes, if you've ever played outfield, you know that when a ball is hit to you there is a distance you can get from a fly ball where it's too close to dive for so you reach out for it...you think you can reach and catch it, but it's just out of your reach and you miss it.
The same thing happens to infielders...they range over for a ball, reach out for it, not dive and JUST miss it. Too close to dive for but not close enough to reach.

Edmonds was very good at not getting caught in that middle ground. And he would sometimes let up a couple steps before diving for a ball.
I'm not saying he never showboated, but most of the time it seemed to be a timing thing...not showboating.

And to be honest, as weird as it sounds...it's sometimes easier to leave your feet and catch a ball, than it is to try and stay on your feet and reach for it. You don't have the jarring up and down motion from running to contend with when reaching out for the ball.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

eastcoastbluesman
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by eastcoastbluesman »

I agree with almost all the sentiments expressed in this thread about the Cardinals as a franchise.

It was time to move Edmonds, though. At about the halfway point of next season-his fifteenth in the bigs-he'll be 38 years old. His power numbers have been in decline for years and now he doesn't really hit for average anymore either. Yes, he's still a good defensive center fielder but not great and not irreplaceable, regardless of how much I like him.

My problem with this trade is that they got nothing in return (though I'm not sure they could have done any better) and that they'll do nothing to replace him with an actual everyday MLB player.
:x
I'm the sponsor of Marek Schwarz but the image never appears correctly. So just imagine it. It's Schwarz. He's playing goalie. Image

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re:

Post by dmiles2186 »

JCShutout wrote:I think the rumor is the Cards got a crappy prospect for Edmonds.
7 years later, this statement is even more hilarious in hindsight.

I also didn't recall Weight/Edmonds were traded on the same day.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Re:

Post by cprice12 »

dmiles2186 wrote:

I was going to post the same thing. How about a great prospect? 8)
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

dmiles2186 wrote:

How so?

I'm just shocked to see a 7 yr old thread on the front page!

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:

How so?

I'm just shocked to see a 7 yr old thread on the front page!
I was just digging through the old archives and found this nugget.

The Edmonds trade for a 'crappy prospect' is funny in hindsight because that prospect was David Freese who only hit the biggest HR in St. Louis Cardinals history.

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Re: 2 well known faces in STL gone...

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Interesting tidbit there dmiles!

Looks like Freeze couldn't handle the pressure here.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: 2 well known faces in STL gone...

Post by dmiles2186 »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:Looks like Freeze couldn't handle the pressure here.
His time here had some up's and down's, but that dude will forever be immortal in this city because of his run in 2011. He was the hottest baseball player on the planet that October, not to mention having the game saving triple followed by the game winning home run in Game 6. That's definitely what I'd call handling pressure. I just don't think he fits in the Cardinals plans moving forward.