Top 10 Video Games of All Time (your list)

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

rebelmusic
All-Star
All-Star

Post by rebelmusic »

Rocketpop wrote:Phantasy Star IV (Genesis)
Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
Street Fighter 2 (SNES)
Warcraft 2 (PC)
Diablo (PC)
Shadowrun (Genesis)
Grim Fandango (PC)
Full Throttle (PC)

Final Fantasy III (Snes)
Monkey Island (PC)

Honorable Mention: Dragon Warrior (NES), Day of the Tentacle
I was/am a huge adventure game fan, and Grim Fandango might be the best I have ever played. All of the Monkey Island games were gerat, as were most of the LSL games.
Proud LGB Sponsor of my junk!

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Lists like this are impossible to make. For me anyway.

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

kodos wrote:Lists like this are impossible to make. For me anyway.
You're no fun. :wink:

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

I'll take a stab...

RBI baseball. - I spent many days after school playing in a bar close to my house on a head to head machine. (Yes, I said bar; the old folks got a kick out of us being in there and bought us sodas all the time.)

Galaga - I STILL to this day say I'm going to buy one of those combo arcade games with this game and...

Ms. Pacman - The best of the series in my opinion. Tons of fun.

Pole Position - I can't say how many hours and quarters I wasted on this game.

Track and Field - I had calluses from the track ball and would use a stick as a lever between my hands if I was playing with buttons.

Punch-Out - I never could beat the arcade game but man was that fun.

I loved C&C Red Alert
Doom 2 - We'd lock ourselves in a lab with tons of dew and snacks and play networked deathmatches into the wee hours of the morning.
Counterstrike - I never really played the actual game but spent lots of time playing the CTF mods online.

Just about any NHL game... had all the EA series growing up and have pretty much been on the 2K series as of late.

StempniakforPrez
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StempniakforPrez »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
STL JA wrote:No doubt, Halo was a great game (talking about the original). I just think the Halo series is extremely over-hyped and overrated. Halo 2 didn't do much for me, and I haven't even picked up the 3rd one, nor do I have any real desire to do so.
I still don't really understand why Halo is so huge. I remember back in college EVERYBODY played it and it was almost like a religion to some of them. I think it's a pretty fun game and all but there's nothing that special about it. There have been other multiplayer games that I think are far more entertaining (Quake II w/mods topping the list). Of course I've never gotten into playing First Person Shooters with a console. Give me Halo on a PC and it might be a different story.
I think the biggest reason I personally got into it so much was the story. It's one of those games that made me CARE about what happened next, not just "cmon, next level so I can keep killing aliens." There's a deep story that, if you get into it, the game gets into you. Near perfect graphics and level layouts did nothing but improve it from there. #1 was the best with that, #2 was way confusing but #3 was good.

Multi-player mode has just evolved into the best first person multiplayer xbox live shooter that there is- you dont need to appreciate the game as much to appreciate online with it.
Nail on the head there, dude. These are the exact reasons I came to love Halo so much. An excellent story, excellent protagonist, and the most fun x-box live experience you'll ever have. I also agree about #2 and #3. I remember throwing my controller at the TV at the end of #2, screaming "What the F*CK?!?!!?!?? That's it?!!?!?!?" #3 pretty much blew me away though. Not as much as the first, but close.

StempniakforPrez
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StempniakforPrez »

I'll try and do this......hard to decide though.

1.) Halo (xbox)
2.) Zelda: Ocarina of Time (n64)
3.) Sonic the Hedgehog #1 thru #3 (sega)
4.) Grand Theft Auto 3 (ps2)
5.) Super Mario 64 (n64)
6.) Goldeneye (n64)
7.) NHL 07 (xbox)
8.) Age of Empires 2 (pc)
9.) Half-Life 2 (xbox)
10.) Knights of the Old Republic #1 and #2 (xbox)

Some of my fondest memories come from having Halo LAN parties with my buddies. We would start at like 4 in the afternoon and wouldn't stop until 4am. As we grew older and came of age, beer was thrown into the mix and that adds a WHOOOOOOLE new element to the game! Lot more fun, let me tell ya.....

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

I forgot to add Mario Kart.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

STL JA wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
cprice12 wrote:
OS wrote:I'm old school....
As was I. As kids, my brothers and I peaked at Genesis, if you don't count the pc.

But two nights ago, I JUST got a like new Slim Playstation 2 on ebay (5 years behind everyone else). Paid $95 and got a controller, 7 games (MLB07 The Show, God of War, Madden 07, Ghost Recon, ESPN National Hockey Night, World Championship Poker, NBA2Nite), & a memory card with it.

I just can't bring myself to shell out $400-$500 on a console system...even though I'd love to have them. I usually wait and get it until the next, newer, better one comes out and nobody wants the previous one anymore...and I get it for cheap. :lol:
I did the same thing with PS1...but never really played it.
Totally agree... I had a fluky job in the summer that allowed me to afford a 360 but I was about to give it up at the xbox cause they are just too expensive anymore- its not worth it.

The other thing is that the systems can't get much more realistic, they have basically arrived at the "real life" effect :lol:
Come again? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I guess my point is that the differences between the systems are getting smaller and smaller with each new one- especially with my experience:

NES to N64- no comparison
N64 to the xbox- " "
xbox to 360- Cleaner; crystal clear on a HD/ LCD, etc, but it was nothing that I was floored by. The things that can be improved on aren't nearly as drastic as they used to be.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

ilhockeyguy
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by ilhockeyguy »

Yeah...I'm kinda old school too....

10. Pitfall (Atari)
9. Mike Tyson's Punch Out
8. NFL 2K (Dreamcast)
7. Command And Conquer Tiberian Sun
6. Bases Loaded (NES)
5. Gran Tourismo
4. NHL 2002
3. Metroid
2. Zelda
1. Contra (up,up,down,down,left,right,left,right,b,a,b,a,start)

I could name about 50 great NES games....and several PS1...but I miss the dreamcast most of all....too bad no one signed on to make games....