Top 10 Video Games of All Time (your list)

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Kreegz2 »

1. Zelda:OoT(N64)
2. DOOM(PC)
3. Half-Life(PC)
4. Chrono Trigger(SNES)
5. Lemmings(PC)
6. Counter-Strike(PC)
7. Goldeneye(N64)
8. Age OF Empires 2(PC)
9. Super Mario 64 (N64)
10. Metal Gear Solid (PS1)

It's not a coincidence that the youngest game on my list, Counter Strike, is from 1999. Video Games used to be so much better than they are now.

Allblues555
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Allblues555 »

...which is why I don't like Chrono Trigger. It was first in a long series of games (Final Fantasy) that were nothing but cinema graphic movies you watched cut scenes from by running from place to place.
_____ _ _

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

I'm surprised Counter-Strike hasn't made it on more people's lists. I think I was addicted to that game for about 3 years straight, starting wayyyy back in 1999 when it was released. I'd have to say it is, still to this day, the most successful mod in gaming. Huge community too, 2nd behind WoW.

I am REALLY surprised that I am the only one who mentioned Everquest. It was a ground breaking game which really launched the MMORPG genre. Also, if there was never an Everquest, World of Warcraft would not be what it is today.

stlcujo
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by stlcujo »

1. Delta force 2
2. NHL 94 (sgen)
3. Counterstrike (played for 5 years now)
4. Teenage mutant ninja turtles series
5. Ninja Gaiden
6. NHL 08 (360)
7. Americas army
8. C&C Yuri's revenge
9. California Games (nes)
10. Golden eye (N64)

bringing up some great memories.

Mark
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Mark »

10. Tecmo Super Bowl (SNES)
9. Street Fighter 2 Turbo (SNES)
8. Puzzle Quest (XBLA)
7. RBI Baseball 3 (NES)
6. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
5. Crystalis (NES)
4. Maniac Mansion (NES)
3. Disgaea (PS2)
2. River City Ransom (NES)
1. Final Fantasy III (SNES)

Yep, I totally snubbed all of Nintendo's titles...
I can't pronounce Carlo Colaiacovo's name, but I sure can be the OFFICIAL LGB SPONSOR OF CARLO COLAIACOVO!!

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

stlcujo wrote:1. Delta force 2
2. NHL 94 (sgen)
5. Ninja Gaiden
6. NHL 08 (360)
7. Americas army
8. C&C Yuri's revenge
10. Golden eye (N64)

I think NHL 08 is one of the worst they've ever done.

The fighting engine honestly looks like the first time they have ever thought of inserting fighting into a hockey game- absolutely brutal. A Rock-em Sock-em robots comparison is even too generous.

Soundtrack is one of the worst for any hockey game ever.

Out of date rules (ie no over the glass delay of game, etc)

Once you reach all-star difficulty level they might as well just take checking out of the game because all you will be doing is poke-checking.

Roster management and trades are a pain in the ass because you have to shift guys to and from pro to AHL rosters and are only allowed so many guys per team, bla bla bla. They dont let you have three goalies on your roster, etc- in trying to make it so much like real life roster management it makes it frustrating as hell to swing any trade.

BUT, the total stick control option is amazing- very very good. Dynasty mode is solid.

NHL 98 for 64 was a great game... the 2k7 series (05 and 07 I own) are great.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by StL Dan »

I'm not a big "gamer", but, I've enjoyed the following immensley:

DOOM
Galaga
Centipede
Guitar Hero III
NHL 94

stlcujo
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by stlcujo »

to anyone who has ever played NHL 94, do you know (or had to deal with) the wrap around move? thats what me and my brother called it, you go almost into the corner on the red line and cut in front of the goalie and its a an easy score. we used to get in a fight about it every time we played the game.

BoxCar
All-Star
All-Star

Post by BoxCar »

10) Mario Series (3 for SNES, Mario 64, and now Mario Galaxy)
9) Twisted Metal Series (PS)
8) Legend of Zelda- A Link to the Past (SNES)
7) Roller Coaster Tycoon (PC)
6) Goldeneye 007 (N64)
5) Legend of Zelda- OOT (N64)
4) World of Warcraft (PC, on the upward)
3) Madden and NHL until 2005 (GC/XBOX- after this throwing a pass or shooting the puck became complicated)
2) Super Smash Bros. Melee (GC)

1) Halo (2>3, never played 1- but 2 is the best game ever IMO)

Just missed the cut: Mario Kart (all), Gears of War, Pokemon (yeah, so what?), Pikmin, Super Smash Bros (64), Guitar Hero III, Diablo II, Warcraft.
Official President of the 2011-2012 Sponsorship Committee of the honorable Alex Pietrangelo

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
stlcujo wrote:1. Delta force 2
2. NHL 94 (sgen)
5. Ninja Gaiden
6. NHL 08 (360)
7. Americas army
8. C&C Yuri's revenge
10. Golden eye (N64)

I think NHL 08 is one of the worst they've ever done.

The fighting engine honestly looks like the first time they have ever thought of inserting fighting into a hockey game- absolutely brutal. A Rock-em Sock-em robots comparison is even too generous.

Soundtrack is one of the worst for any hockey game ever.

Out of date rules (ie no over the glass delay of game, etc)

Once you reach all-star difficulty level they might as well just take checking out of the game because all you will be doing is poke-checking.

Roster management and trades are a pain in the ass because you have to shift guys to and from pro to AHL rosters and are only allowed so many guys per team, bla bla bla. They dont let you have three goalies on your roster, etc- in trying to make it so much like real life roster management it makes it frustrating as hell to swing any trade.

BUT, the total stick control option is amazing- very very good. Dynasty mode is solid.

NHL 98 for 64 was a great game... the 2k7 series (05 and 07 I own) are great.
Someone get the WAAAAAAAMBULANCE!

NHL 08 is a stellar game because of the gameplay. Sounds like you don't have the skillz if you can't check people. I routinely notch 40+ hits a game All-Star and above.

Soundtrack? Are you kidding me? And the puck over glass... a stupid ass rule to begin with and one that rarely happens in the game? Puh-lease.

The fighting does suck, but I don't really play a hockey video game so I can fight.

I concur with its Top 10 status.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Systems I owned:
Atari 2600
Sega Master System
Sega Genesis
PC
We were definitely a Sega household. Sega rocked.

Favorite Games: (more than 10...sue me)
NHL 94 (Genesis)
Hands down winner. This alone was worth the purchase of our Genesis. If If I were to add up the hours I played this game, it would probably total a year.

Joe Montana Football 94 (Genesis)
We played this almost as much as NHL94. This was our college dorm room game of choice. Many a controller was broken over this game.

Phantasy Star (Sega Master System)
One of the best role playing games of all time. This game was my favorite Sega Master System game...and harder than hell to beat. A very long game. (for those of you not familiar with the Sega Master System...it was Sega's answer to Nintendo...and was actually a much better quality system, more colors and a more powerful system...but they didn't have as many games as Nintendo.

Red Alert (pc)
Classic. My favorite pc game of all time. We had a direct connection network at home between our two pc's...and my brother's and I played the crap out of this.

Unreal Tournament (pc)
Another game that I spend countless hours over networks playing. Great game.

Donkey Kong (arcade)
I have memories when I was a kid of hanging out at Pantera's in Fairview Heights, and watching the "older kids" play Donkey Kong. I was in awe of the coolness of this game at the time.

Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)
The Sega Genesis answer to Super Mario Brothers...and IMO, way better.

Zillion (Sega Master System)
This game was addictive. It was necessary to draw maps of where you had been, so you could find your way around in the underground base. Great game.

Heretic (pc)
Another networked pc game we played the crap out of in college. Throwing eggs and turning your opponent into a chicken...great stuff.

Descent (pc)
Network play was sooooo much better than being stuck playing against the computer. This is another example of that. This game was different than anything else that had come out at the time. Flat out fun game.

Rampage (arcade)
I remember being in awe of this game when I was a kid. "You mean I can choose between a wolf, a dragon and a gorilla and knock buildings down?!?!? That kicks ass!!" And the graphics were very cool for the time.

Galaga (arcade)
Space Invaders on Steroids. I probably played this game more than any other arcade game out there...mainly because it was at Ken's Pizza in Fairview...which we frequented a lot when I was a kid.

Spy Hunter (arcade)
Speakers in the seat you sat in...cool spy music...fun game.

Dragon's Lair (arcade)
I sucked at this game...but it was fun to watch people play it who knew what they were doing. "A video game that looks like a cartoon?!?! That's amazing!!"

Paperboy (arcade)
The fact that it had handlebars on the actual arcade game, was enough to make this a cool game. I can still hear the sounds of this game and that takes me back to my days of hanging out at the arcade as a kid.

Mat Mania (arcade)
The best early wrestling game. This game kicked ass.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

I'm old school....

10) Blades of Steel
9) Metroid
8) Super Mario Bros.
7) Worms 2
6) Anarchy Online
5) Diablo
4) The Legend of Zelda
3) NHL 94
2) NHL 95
1) RBI Baseball
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

OS wrote:I'm old school....
As was I. As kids, my brothers and I peaked at Genesis, if you don't count the pc.

But two nights ago, I JUST got a like new Slim Playstation 2 on ebay (5 years behind everyone else). Paid $95 and got a controller, 7 games (MLB07 The Show, God of War, Madden 07, Ghost Recon, ESPN National Hockey Night, World Championship Poker, NBA2Nite), & a memory card with it.

I just can't bring myself to shell out $400-$500 on a console system...even though I'd love to have them. I usually wait and get it until the next, newer, better one comes out and nobody wants the previous one anymore...and I get it for cheap. :lol:
I did the same thing with PS1...but never really played it.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

cprice12 wrote:
As was I. As kids, my brothers and I peaked at Genesis, if you don't count the pc.

But two nights ago, I JUST got a like new Slim Playstation 2 on ebay (5 years behind everyone else). Paid $95 and got a controller, 7 games (MLB07 The Show, God of War, Madden 07, Ghost Recon, ESPN National Hockey Night, World Championship Poker, NBA2Nite), & a memory card with it.

I just can't bring myself to shell out $400-$500 on a console system...even though I'd love to have them. I usually wait and get it until the next, newer, better one comes out and nobody wants the previous one anymore...and I get it for cheap. :lol:
Totally agree... I had a fluky job in the summer that allowed me to afford a 360 but I was about to give it up at the xbox cause they are just too expensive anymore- its not worth it.

The other thing is that the systems can't get much more realistic, they have basically arrived at the "real life" effect :lol:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
cprice12 wrote:

Totally agree... I had a fluky job in the summer that allowed me to afford a 360 but I was about to give it up at the xbox cause they are just too expensive anymore- its not worth it.

The other thing is that the systems can't get much more realistic, they have basically arrived at the "real life" effect :lol:
Yea...keep thinking that. No doubt that the next generation will blow you away. Same thing goes with the one after that....and the one after that....

I still say if they put as much time into PC games as they do console games, the PC would destroy any console.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
cprice12 wrote:

Come again? :lol: :lol: :lol:

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
cprice12 wrote:

Yea...keep thinking that. No doubt that the next generation will blow you away. Same thing goes with the one after that....and the one after that....

I still say if they put as much time into PC games as they do console games, the PC would destroy any console.
It's a fact that the PC destroys console systems when it comes to cutting edge technology. It's really a no-brainer. If you buy a PS3, you're stuck with that hardware. There is no video card upgrade options, and developers are somewhat handcuffed by the restraints of the system they are working with. These next generation consoles can only do so much. Take an advanced PC game like Crysis for example. Ha, try porting that to one of the next-gen platforms. They could, but it would be extremely watered down. No current console system could reproduce how that game was intended to look, or play. And that's a fact.

PCs will always be on the forefront of the newest technologies. Consoles play catch up.
Last edited by STL JA on Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocketpop
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Rocketpop »

Phantasy Star IV (Genesis)
Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
Street Fighter 2 (SNES)
Warcraft 2 (PC)
Diablo (PC)
Shadowrun (Genesis)
Grim Fandango (PC)
Full Throttle (PC)
Final Fantasy III (Snes)
Monkey Island (PC)

Honorable Mention: Dragon Warrior (NES), Day of the Tentacle
Signature removed by cprice12: Suggestive Avatar

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

STL JA wrote:
ViPeRx007 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
cprice12 wrote:

It's a fact that the PC destroys console systems when it comes to cutting edge technology. It's really a no-brainer. If you buy a PS3, you're stuck with that hardware. There is no video card upgrade options, and developers are somewhat handcuffed by the restraints of the system they are working with. These next generation consoles can only do so much. Take an advanced PC game like Crysis for example. Ha, try porting that to one of the next-gen platforms. They could, but it would be extremely watered down. No current console system could reproduce how that game was intended to look, or play. And that's a fact.

PCs will always be on the forefront of the newest technologies. Consoles play catch up.
The only place consoles have PC's beat is the sports genre.

If they applied the same attention to detail as they did for Crysis to something like NHL 08, it would be amazing. Unfortunately, if we could peel the year off of the cover of 08, we'd find 07, then 06, then 05...etc. underneath.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I forgot about Joust. Joust was good too.

:grin:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller