board fraternity membership

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

glen a richter wrote:
OS wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Frats = buying friends, and frankly I'm offended that the term Greek is associated with asshat frat kids acting like jerks. It offends me as a Greek to be cast in the same light as them.
LOL, idiot.
LOL, the response I'd expect from someone who was in a frat.
Sorry, I thought you were an idiot before I was in a fraternity.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

OS wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
OS wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Frats = buying friends, and frankly I'm offended that the term Greek is associated with asshat frat kids acting like jerks. It offends me as a Greek to be cast in the same light as them.
LOL, idiot.
I was blissfully unaware that frat members were capable of thinking. Thanks for the enlightenment. And I pretty much knew you were an idiot before this thread started, so I guess that makes it fairly even.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

glen a richter wrote:
OS wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
OS wrote:
LOL, idiot.
I was blissfully unaware that frat members were capable of thinking. Thanks for the enlightenment. And I pretty much knew you were an idiot before this thread started, so I guess that makes it fairly even.
Only before this thread? Your lack of intelligence has been obvious since well before this site even existed. :lol:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

OS wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
OS wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
OS wrote:
LOL, idiot.
Only before this thread? Your lack of intelligence has been obvious since well before this site even existed. :lol:
This would probably bother me a little bit if it was coming from someone with a shred of decency, but coming from you it really doesn't bother me at all.

Why are you trying to bait me, by the way? Actively seeking a fight? You're a bigger asshat than I thought.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

One of the great things about KU was that it was so anti-Greek. From what I heard from friends at Mizzou, it's pretty much the opposite there.

The whole networking thing with fraternities pisses me off too. It's one of the reasons I'm glad I'm not in the big corporate world. I'd hate to lose a job or a promotion to some lazy jerk that happened to be in the same fraternity as the boss.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

rebelmusic
All-Star
All-Star

Post by rebelmusic »

OS wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
OS wrote:
glen a richter wrote:
OS wrote:
LOL, idiot.
You went to UMSL, so I'm guessing...Pike?
Proud LGB Sponsor of my junk!

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

big d note wrote:One of the great things about KU was that it was so anti-Greek. From what I heard from friends at Mizzou, it's pretty much the opposite there.
That's a big reason why I'm glad I went to UMSL over Mizzou. Most everyone I went to HS with went to Mizzou so I visited there a lot and it was frat guy fever there. UMSL's frats were very much a joke (sorry OS).

I'm generally not a stereotyping person.. But every time I hear the word "frat" I think of the dumbf*ck that lived in the dorm next to me my freshman year who was drunk every single day, flunked out after the first semester, listened to terrible (Franking) music, played the same lame-ass Madden 98 game every single day, and was just an overall tool.

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

rebelmusic wrote:You went to UMSL, so I'm guessing...Pike?
Damn, do you really think that little of me? :lol:

Sig Pi...

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:That's a big reason why I'm glad I went to UMSL over Mizzou. Most everyone I went to HS with went to Mizzou so I visited there a lot and it was frat guy fever there. UMSL's frats were very much a joke (sorry OS).
Oh, there's no question that UMSL's Greek community is weak compared to a school like Mizzou. Unfortunatley it's a huge battle at UMSL trying to grow the community becuase the leadership at UMSL has been anti-Greek int he past, particularly Tuhill. And, amusingly enough, girls couldn't have sororiety houses for a long time becuase BelRidge/Nor considers any house with 5 or more girls a whore house. :lol:
Last edited by OS on Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

richtedm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by richtedm »

OS wrote:
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:That's a big reason why I'm glad I went to UMSL over Mizzou. Most everyone I went to HS with went to Mizzou so I visited there a lot and it was frat guy fever there. UMSL's frats were very much a joke (sorry OS).
Oh, there's no question that UMSL's Greek community is weak compared to a school like UMSL. Unfortunatley it's a huge battle at UMSL trying to grow the community becuase the leadership at UMSL has been anti-Greek int he past, particularly Tuhill. And, amusingly enough, girls couldn't have sororiety houses for a long time becuase BelRidge/Nor considers any house with 5 or more girls a whore house. :lol:
Same story at SLU only they also decided to include no fraternity houses. But they gave us a Greek dormatory (until they took it away). Its getting very anti-greek there.

I did fraternity stuff - stereotypes exist everywhere, I dont need to defend having been in one and I'm not going to begin to tell everyone to try it. It worked out for me - I wasn't a nonstop drunk, I didn't fail out of school, I made some pretty good friends, and a whole helluva lot of memories.

Oh and since I've graduated, no longer paying dues, the guys are still my friends (terrible business people, dont they know I'm not paying them to be my friend anymore?) :grin:
Official All-Time Co-Sponsor of Cam Janssen

Blueline29
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Blueline29 »

I know you didn't ask for chix' opinions, but I was in a sorority @ MU & loved every minute of it. I still keep in touch w/ some of those girls today (except for the whore who stole my boyfriend - I guess some of the stereotypes are true ;) ) & would do it again in a heartbeat.

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

Personally, I could careless about them. I'm not going to say all frat guys are douchebags, but the majority of ones I have run across have been fools. For some reason, they think they're hot shit. Same can be said about the bimbos in sororities...

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

STL JA wrote:Personally, I could careless about them. I'm not going to say all frat guys are douchebags, but the majority of ones I have run across have been fools. For some reason, they think they're hot shit. Same can be said about the bimbos in sororities...
I agree with you and it's unfortunate. I would say the majority ARE assholes that think that they are better than non-fraternity guys or worse, better than anyone else not in their fraternity. There are many fraternities that, if I saw a guy wearing the letters, I would never want to say a word to them because that's how low I think of them and what they do to their pledges/girls/etc. There ARE some decent ones though and my fraternity is an example; I wouldn't have joined a fraternity if it wasn't.

By the same token, there are decent sororities too. <tangent> Several sororities and fraternities are academic ones as well and granted the fact that they aren't that much fun (or in the sororities case, particularly attractive) they are in it for the right reasons I think.

In general, most fraternities have the "creeds" or cool sounding fluff that they say they believe in but really don't, which basically defeats the purpose for their existence, which, to me, makes a lot of them all one and the same.</tangent>
Ruutu wrote:Waukee, it sounds like you're in it for the right reasons, though. The people I'm referring to are those who DO fit into the stereotype...and there are a lot of them, even some of my friends.

By the way, are you in Bloomington?
yes. SAE.
ksbluesfan wrote: Pledging loyalty to a bunch of assholes that will forget your name a month after they failed out of their last semester?
Yup, you are the omniscient zen master on fraternity life.
see above.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I would have joined Delta House. :lol:
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
ksbluesfan wrote: Pledging loyalty to a bunch of assholes that will forget your name a month after they failed out of their last semester?
And you say this based on your post-college experience? Send me a PM when you're 40 to let me know how many of your frat brothers are still close friends.

richtedm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by richtedm »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
Ruutu wrote:Waukee, it sounds like you're in it for the right reasons, though. The people I'm referring to are those who DO fit into the stereotype...and there are a lot of them, even some of my friends.

yes. SAE.
Phi Alpha

rebelmusic
All-Star
All-Star

Post by rebelmusic »

OS wrote:
rebelmusic wrote:You went to UMSL, so I'm guessing...Pike?
Damn, do you really think that little of me? :lol:

Sig Pi...
You must not be that bad then...I had quite a few Sig Pi friends, and they had some good parties. The Pikes are generally douchebags.
Proud LGB Sponsor of my junk!

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

richtedm wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:

yes. SAE.
Phi Alpha
I technically can't say it because we are getting chartered here in Spring (getting back on campus after a really bad chapter got us thrown off) so none of us are full initiates, but I'm a Founding Father here.

Pie Apples :lol:

TG!!!
Last edited by WaukeeBlues on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

ksbluesfan wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
And you say this based on your post-college experience? Send me a PM when you're 40 to let me know how many of your frat brothers are still close friends.
Unless I read it wrong, I believe what you said was "bunch of assholes who will forget your name in a month after failing."

I may not be "great friends" with them at 40 but to say they won't know who I am and that they are all idiots simply shows your hatred at the greek system and nothing like sound reasoning.

In general, how many of your college buddies are you still close friends with? Probably not many. I know this because of my dads, uncles, etc.

At least with a fraternity you have a constant link to your alma matter and make reunions much more enjoyable than they would be without it.

richtedm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by richtedm »

WaukeeBlues wrote:yes. SAE.
Sleep And Eats (?? This one was an interesting one)
Same Assholes Everywhere
Sigma Alpha Hairsalon (Thats the name for us at Texas State University)
S Gay E
Sexual Assault Expected (personal favorite, that one came in handy as a paintball team name during a philanthropy event for a sorority... coming in second only to our team the next year called The War Against Terror or TWAT for short)

Theres tons more out there, but I forgot them. I always thought they were funny.