Music: Digital vs Physical

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

How do you prefer your music?

Download
52%
Physical Media
48%

Total votes: 21

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Music: Digital vs Physical

Post by Ruutu15 »

There's a lot of people who claim that the days of physical media are behind us, or are quickly going that way. I still prefer to have a physical disc when I put down $10-20. I like to look at the liner notes and artwork, and actually have something in my hands.

The point of this poll is to see what others here think. With all of the articles stating that people prefer the download services to actual media, I'm starting to feel alone...then again, this is coming from someone who collects and has has crates and crates of vinyl.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I never thought of music as a sport, but hey, wtf do I know?

;)
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

Ahh, damn. I meant to put it in the OT forum...someone move it!

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

I'm an album track guy. I want the whole damn thing, not just downloading the singles. So if you had to buy all the tracks individualy, you might as well buy the cd and get the liner notes, etc.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

Leedog wrote:I'm an album track guy. I want the whole damn thing, not just downloading the singles. So if you had to buy all the tracks individualy, you might as well buy the cd and get the liner notes, etc.
That's another good point. I buy albums all the time, and usually end up liking album tracks much better than the singles.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

music is for goldbricking pansies who only want to leech off society and don't contribute anything
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

Blues Fan in SF
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Blues Fan in SF »

I have a collection of over 1000 LPs and 2500 7"s/45s...most of which was never released on CD so it's either vinyl or bust anyway...

Guppy
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Guppy »

how is this "other sports"? :lol:
Sponsor of TJ Oshie & his benders

Guppy
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Guppy »

To me it really does not matter. In my youth I had lots of 45's and albums and tapes. I would also make copies of tapes just like copies of cd's and mp3's are made today.

I would probably want to have a copy of the original somehow, someway just in case something happened to the digital copy. But I am not a big music downloader or one that does buy a lot of music anymore.
Sponsor of TJ Oshie & his benders

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

Blues Fan in SF wrote:I have a collection of over 1000 LPs and 2500 7"s/45s...most of which was never released on CD so it's either vinyl or bust anyway...
That's amazing... :grin:

Blues Fan in SF
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Ruutu15 wrote:
Blues Fan in SF wrote:I have a collection of over 1000 LPs and 2500 7"s/45s...most of which was never released on CD so it's either vinyl or bust anyway...
That's amazing... :grin:
It's a pain in the ass - half my bedroom is covered in stacks of LPs/45s...

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

I consider myself a music fanatic (even more so than hockey), I am a physical medium kind of guy.

I simply hate MP3s. What passes for standard audio quality with these things is abysmal. The highs and lows are just sucked right out.

I have a huge cd collection, and the only reason I do not have a large vinyl collection and the gear, is I know that I would spend heaps of money on it trying achieve better and better high-end fidelity. High-end vinyl playback is a money pit…and those funds currently go to my guitar gear related obsession.
Last edited by SIU LAW on Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

Did they film the apartment scenes of High Fidelity at your place?

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

I like the FLAC files I've downloaded. For me, downloading music is just easier and requires less space, so I prefer it.

Blues Fan in SF
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

SIU LAW wrote:High-end vinyl playback is a money pit…and those funds currently go to my guitar gear related obsession.
I don't have this problem - since most of my records are from shitty punk/hardcore bands that didn't record their music well to begin with :lol:

Many of the independent 90s records I have are mini works of art in themselves, though - in addition to the music, it comes in hand-made packaging, colored/patterned vinyl, w/large booklets of poetry/political histrionics/social calls to action, etc...

I love the music of this period, but having mp3s of the songs is really no substitute for owning one out of maybe 300 of the records ever physically manufactured and sold by the band...it's a piece of my past...a souvenir from those times I spent every night after work sweating my ass off in a basement on Oakland or SF with 30 other people watching 4 people pour their hearts out into their instruments...

That's why I collect records.

Blues Fan in SF
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

SIU LAW wrote:
:lol:

It's not that bad - but there is one entire wall of my bedroom dedicated to CDs and vinyl...

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

Blues Fan in SF wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:High-end vinyl playback is a money pit…and those funds currently go to my guitar gear related obsession.
I don't have this problem - since most of my records are from shitty punk/hardcore bands that didn't record their music well to begin with :lol:

Many of the independent 90s records I have are mini works of art in themselves, though - in addition to the music, it comes in hand-made packaging, colored/patterned vinyl, w/large booklets of poetry/political histrionics/social calls to action, etc...

I love the music of this period, but having mp3s of the songs is really no substitute for owning one out of maybe 300 of the records ever physically manufactured and sold by the band...it's a piece of my past...a souvenir from those times I spent every night after work sweating my ass off in a basement on Oakland or SF with 30 other people watching 4 people pour their hearts out into their instruments...

That's why I collect records.
Awesome.

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

Blues Fan in SF wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:
:lol:

It's not that bad - but there is one entire wall of my bedroom dedicated to CDs and vinyl...
Just wait until the floor collapses. If you thought it was expensive to replace a door....

marco
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by marco »

I prefer the physical media. Same goes for software, games etc... not just music. About the only downloaded software on my computer is probably the browser, media player etc...

Ehijo
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Ehijo »

Singles downloads are changing the way lots of people listen to music. I mean, it's one thing to listen to an entire album from the first song to the last and a completely other thing just to listen to the songs as singles.

IMO, often a song is a big part of an album. It belongs with the rest of the songs on that album.

That doesn't mean I don't listen to songs unless I listen to the entire album. Just saying that downloading changes the way we listen to music.