Indiana-Illinois earthquake!

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

rebelmusic
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Indiana-Illinois earthquake!

Post by rebelmusic »

Blueline29 wrote:Apparently I felt it, as I woke up right at that time, but didn't register what it was. I did, however, feel an aftershock about 10 minutes ago. The table and chair where I'm sitting were both shaking all over the place; I could see the trees out the window behind me reflected in my laptop screen as it was vibrating all over hell. Very weird. Not quite as weird as the actual earthquake I felt about 5 years ago--I was sitting at work with both elbows on the desk and my chin in my hands and could actually feel the desk undulating. Very, very creepy. I didn't say anything because I thought maybe I was having a stroke or something :lol: ; one of the managers came out of his office about 15 minutes later and said that there'd just been an earthquake somewhere in TN.
Exactly the same here. I woke up briefly and remember something being strange, but passed right back out. I definitely felt the one later in the morning though...weird. The funny thing is that nobody knew what it was at first because our floor shakes a bit anytime someone walks by (hollow flooring for wiring, etc.), and I thought that someone really fat had walked by, or someone was running. At this time I still didn't know about the larger one earlier, so when someone said 'was that another earthquake?' i totally thought they were joking.
Proud LGB Sponsor of my junk!

stinkdified
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by stinkdified »

Guppy wrote:Did not feel a thing. Slept right through it.
good, i thought i was the only one. everyone was talking about it at work and its kinda scary, if I slept through that, I hope i wouldn't sleep through the next one till a beam was crackin me on the head and it was too late to get out of the building...
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo

Blueline29
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Blueline29 »

rebelmusic wrote:
Blueline29 wrote:Apparently I felt it, as I woke up right at that time, but didn't register what it was. I did, however, feel an aftershock about 10 minutes ago. The table and chair where I'm sitting were both shaking all over the place; I could see the trees out the window behind me reflected in my laptop screen as it was vibrating all over hell. Very weird. Not quite as weird as the actual earthquake I felt about 5 years ago--I was sitting at work with both elbows on the desk and my chin in my hands and could actually feel the desk undulating. Very, very creepy. I didn't say anything because I thought maybe I was having a stroke or something :lol: ; one of the managers came out of his office about 15 minutes later and said that there'd just been an earthquake somewhere in TN.
Exactly the same here. I woke up briefly and remember something being strange, but passed right back out. I definitely felt the one later in the morning though...weird. The funny thing is that nobody knew what it was at first because our floor shakes a bit anytime someone walks by (hollow flooring for wiring, etc.), and I thought that someone really fat had walked by, or someone was running. At this time I still didn't know about the larger one earlier, so when someone said 'was that another earthquake?' i totally thought they were joking.
Lol, that reminds me of when I worked at AT&T, also on a hollow floor. I had a Sakic bobblehead on my monitor and every time this one enormous man stomped past my cubicle, the thing'd jig up and down like it was having a seizure. A couple of times he managed to get it to fall completely off of the top of the monitor, which is pretty impressive.

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

Blueline29 wrote:
rebelmusic wrote:
Lol, that reminds me of when I worked at AT&T, also on a hollow floor. I had a Sakic bobblehead on my monitor and every time this one enormous man stomped past my cubicle, the thing'd jig up and down like it was having a seizure. A couple of times he managed to get it to fall completely off of the top of the monitor, which is pretty impressive.
There is a lady I work with here. She could be a linebacker. huge. When she walks, you can feel it. She is very aggressive, won't take shit from no one, and makes you get out of the way for her. I try to leave when she does so I have a leading blocker.

Blueline29
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Blueline29 »

STL JA wrote: It didn't register for me right away either...

I thought there was some paranormal shit going down in my bed room. lol
I'm kinda pissed now that I missed all the fun! I just thought I'd arbitrarily woken up, but remember thinking at the time that 4:48 was a weird time to wake up like that; if I'm gonna wake up, it's usually between 2 and 3, and that's pretty rare with the nature sound machine set on max volume. Somebody could probably blow up the building around me and I'd never notice. :lol:

On another (huuuge) board I'm a member of, there are like 8 pages of posts from people as far away as Wisconsin who felt it this morning.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

A Canadian Press article headline mentioned that it was felt in Ontario, which I assume meant by machine not person, but the article didnt ever mention in the actual article, only the headline.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

choppa4
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by choppa4 »

cprice12 wrote:The earthquake woke up my wife and I....4:37am.
It was really shaking the house...back and forth, back and forth.
Odd feeling to feel the earth move back and forth like that. I don't know why, but I always thought earthquakes moved the ground more up and down than side to side. But this was definitely side to side shaking.

Then this morning at work, we felt an aftershock...a pretty good size one too.
And apparently, they've had 7 or 8 small aftershocks near the epicenter since this morning.

It was a 5.2 quake.
2nd largest recorded quake in Illinois since they started measuring quakes.
The Largest was either 5.3 or 5.4 back in 1968.

A 5.3 quake is approximately 10 times the force of a 5.2 quake. I'm not sure why that is.

Imagine a 7 or 8 on the richter scale quake coming from New Madrid, like many say is likely to happen in our lifetime. :shock:
I wonder if that means a 7.2 quake will be 200 times the force of the one we had this morning. :?: That would be pretty bad.
The Richter scale is logarithmic, so every small increase in magnitude by number is a much larger increase in power all the way up the scale.
Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
-Helen Keller

stinkdified
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by stinkdified »

choppa4 wrote:The Richter scale is logarithmic, so every small increase in magnitude by number is a much larger increase in power all the way up the scale.
yep, just like decibels for sound...which is why normal conversation is about 60-70dB, but double that is 120-140, which is about the volume of a jet engine (if youre standing on the runway~75 ft)....
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo

Blueline29
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Blueline29 »

Do you all remember the last big New Madrid quake scare? I want to say it was late '80s or so; the main image I have of it (other than it not happening, obviously) is the artist's rendering of what the downtown skyline could potentially look like. There was a pic of the Arch with about the top 1/3 just...gone. It terrified me when I saw it.

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

Blueline29 wrote:Do you all remember the last big New Madrid quake scare? I want to say it was late '80s or so; the main image I have of it (other than it not happening, obviously) is the artist's rendering of what the downtown skyline could potentially look like. There was a pic of the Arch with about the top 1/3 just...gone. It terrified me when I saw it.
It was 1990, I think.... That Dr. Iben Browning guy predicted on a given day, the world would basically shake like that fat guy at the Blues games.

Oddly, it didn't happen. :lol:

Blueline29
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Blueline29 »

BF44 wrote:
Blueline29 wrote:Do you all remember the last big New Madrid quake scare? I want to say it was late '80s or so; the main image I have of it (other than it not happening, obviously) is the artist's rendering of what the downtown skyline could potentially look like. There was a pic of the Arch with about the top 1/3 just...gone. It terrified me when I saw it.
It was 1990, I think.... That Dr. Iben Browning guy predicted on a given day, the world would basically shake like that fat guy at the Blues games.

YES, that was it! I remember devoting days to discussing it in my journalism class. :lol:

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

Blueline29 wrote:
BF44 wrote:

YES, that was it! I remember devoting days to discussing it in my journalism class. :lol:
The worst part was..... we have a volunteer fire dept here, so the tornado sirens double as fire sirens to alert the VFD guys....

there was a fire that night......

half the town woke up in a panic... :D

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

That's so damned cool!

Not that earthquakes are cool, but as long as no major damage was done. It would be a great teaching experience if a harmless little earthquake happened in NYC.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Odd feeling to feel the earth move back and forth like that. I don't know why, but I always thought earthquakes moved the ground more up and down than side to side. But this was definitely side to side shaking.
Earthquakes move the ground in 3 different ways, since there's 3 types of waves: Compressional waves come first, shear waves come second and Love waves come 3rd. One goes back and forth, one goes side to side and one goes like a roller coaster. Since it wasn't a major earthquake and you were far enough from the epicenter (probably) you didn't really notice the brunt of the event. At the epicenter they probably noticed the up and down a lot more.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

BF44
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by BF44 »

glen a richter wrote:That's so damned cool!

Not that earthquakes are cool, but as long as no major damage was done. It would be a great teaching experience if a harmless little earthquake happened in NYC.
Looking back on it, it is pretty cool, yeah. Let's just not intensify it's coolness.......

hockeychick5739
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by hockeychick5739 »

Is it really, really sad that the earthquake was kind of the best part of the whole week? It's been a crappy week. And I stayed up till 3am studying for stats last night and was actually having a nightmare about stats when the earthquake woke me up to save me from my bad dreams. It was great..and really awesome (since there were no deaths and all).
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Topshelf331
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Topshelf331 »

I was at work for the 1st, we thought wind was shaking the plane. I was going to shut the hanger door. Then When i stepped out of the plane there was no wind and the plane was still moving. And the cables of the hangar ceiling were jumping around. Oh, its an earthquake. I felt an aftershock about 5- 10 min later, when i was standing on the main entry door. I guess the fact those things are a little springy, making it more sensitive.

The second one i was in my living room in the basement.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

choppa4 wrote:

Then this morning at work, we felt an aftershock...a pretty good size one too.
And apparently, they've had 7 or 8 small aftershocks near the epicenter since this morning.

It was a 5.2 quake.
2nd largest recorded quake in Illinois since they started measuring quakes.
The Largest was either 5.3 or 5.4 back in 1968.

A 5.3 quake is approximately 10 times the force of a 5.2 quake. I'm not sure why that is.

Imagine a 7 or 8 on the richter scale quake coming from New Madrid, like many say is likely to happen in our lifetime. :shock:
I wonder if that means a 7.2 quake will be 200 times the force of the one we had this morning. :?: That would be pretty bad.
The Richter scale is logarithmic, so every small increase in magnitude by number is a much larger increase in power all the way up the scale.
Which makes you wonder how massive a 7 or 8 magnitude quake would be compared to the 5.2 one we just had.
Scary stuff.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Guppy
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Guppy »

BF44 wrote:

Yes it was 1990 because I remember doing all these drills in HS. The day came and went....and we stopped doing the drills. We did them every week for about 2 months straight.

The guy who predicted it had a theory...

12--around December
3--3rd day of the month
4:56--around that time (am or pm)
7.8--size of the quake
90--in the year 1990
Sponsor of TJ Oshie & his benders

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

Guppy wrote:
BF44 wrote:

Yes it was 1990 because I remember doing all these drills in HS. The day came and went....and we stopped doing the drills. We did them every week for about 2 months straight.

The guy who predicted it had a theory...

12--around December
3--3rd day of the month
4:56--around that time (am or pm)
7.8--size of the quake
90--in the year 1990
That day is infamous in St. Louis history. :lol: :lol: