I hate ticket brokers

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

I hate ticket brokers

Post by glen a richter »

Jimmy Buffett adds Jones Beach, a local venue, to his concert tour, so I'm excited I'm going to get online early and get 2 tickets. It's towards the end of the summer, an outdoor theater, going to be a great experience...

All the goddam brokers bought the place out almost instantly and now they're selling $56 seats for $200 and up, and to get the $150 seats down near the center stage is at least $400 a piece.

I thought that ticketmaster used that verification code to prevent this kind of shit. I'm really pissed off about it all. 30 different brokers are offering the same exact seats for twice face value, and they're getting away with it because they're from out of state. In NY it's illegal to sell tickets online for more than face value. By the time I get to see Buffett live, he'll be 90.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Re: I hate ticket brokers

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

People who call them brokers are almost as much of douches as the scalpers themselves.. And they did the same thing here to the point where I couldn't afford to go. :evil:

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Valid point, I should have put "Brokers" in quotations.

Bunch of (Franking) scumbags is what they are.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

He's not 90 now?
:?
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

choppa4
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by choppa4 »

Jimmy Buffett=Ticketmaster
Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
-Helen Keller

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

You know why they can get $200 for tickets?

Because (a) many Jimmy Buffett fans are certifiably insane, and (b) they'll pay it. It's called capitalism.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

They're trying to do you a favor.

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Nyghtewynd wrote:You know why they can get $200 for tickets?

Because (a) many Jimmy Buffett fans are certifiably insane, and (b) they'll pay it. It's called capitalism.

I want to go to shows with large mass appeal around never.. This show and Neil Young were two shows I was extremely stoked when I heard about them, and quickly realized there's no way in hell I could afford to go. Capitalism would be the window price, not buying out someone else's product and jacking up the price. Okay, maybe that's capitalism too.. But it's douchtastic as well.

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

The scalpers aren't the douchebags, Ticketmaster and Live Nation (Clear Chanel) are for allowing it to happen. Back in the day, I knew a scalper who would wait in line or pay people to wait in line for a small handfull of premium tix he sold to regular clients. Doctors, lawyers, etc who wanted premium seats but who's time was too valuable to stand in line themselves. This guy provided a service to his customers. But the rest of us could still get good tix if we were willing to wait in line with him.
Now blocks of tix seem to go direct to the brokers. I can get through on Ticketmaster.com at 10:01 am and the best available is row DD, yet every broker and their brother have a ton of great seats? You bet your ass Ticketmaster and or Clear Chanel are getting kickbacks from these brokers. Someone, I'm not sure who but I think it was Chris Rock, said on Stern a while back that he basicly caught them doing that for his shows.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

Blueline29
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Blueline29 »

glen a richter wrote:Jimmy Buffett adds Jones Beach, a local venue, to his concert tour, so I'm excited I'm going to get online early and get 2 tickets. It's towards the end of the summer, an outdoor theater, going to be a great experience...

All the goddam brokers bought the place out almost instantly and now they're selling $56 seats for $200 and up, and to get the $150 seats down near the center stage is at least $400 a piece.

I thought that ticketmaster used that verification code to prevent this kind of shit. I'm really pissed off about it all. 30 different brokers are offering the same exact seats for twice face value, and they're getting away with it because they're from out of state. In NY it's illegal to sell tickets online for more than face value. By the time I get to see Buffett live, he'll be 90.
They did pretty much the same thing for his show here (which was fantastic, BTW). The whole thing was sold out almost immediately; I still don't know how my friend ended up with tickets for less than a kidney and 2 corneas. People clearly bought tickets, though, regardless of price; I don't think I've ever seen Riverport/Verizon/whatever that insanely packed, and I KNOW I've never seen that many men in coconut bras before, at least not simultaneously. :wink:

Sorry for the craptastic pic; I was, um, drinking a li'l bit that night. :)

Which brokers are the worst ones? I've had OK luck with StubHub before, though there've been other times they've been ridiculous, like for a show I'd loooove to see in OKC in July. Five times face value. Grr.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Bah you suck Blueline. I wish I was connected to get tickets for less than three body parts.

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

glen a richter wrote:Bah you suck Blueline. I wish I was connected to get tickets for less than three body parts.
:plusplus:

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

Blueline29 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Jimmy Buffett adds Jones Beach, a local venue, to his concert tour, so I'm excited I'm going to get online early and get 2 tickets. It's towards the end of the summer, an outdoor theater, going to be a great experience...

They did pretty much the same thing for his show here (which was fantastic, BTW). The whole thing was sold out almost immediately; I still don't know how my friend ended up with tickets for less than a kidney and 2 corneas. People clearly bought tickets, though, regardless of price; I don't think I've ever seen Riverport/Verizon/whatever that insanely packed, and I KNOW I've never seen that many men in coconut bras before, at least not simultaneously. :wink:

Which brokers are the worst ones? I've had OK luck with StubHub before, though there've been other times they've been ridiculous, like for a show I'd loooove to see in OKC in July. Five times face value. Grr.
Look at all those Parrotheads... :lol:

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

For the upcoming large venue tour (e.g. Scottrade), Nine Inch Nails is taking rather extraordinary means to help fans get tickets and not the brokers and scalpers. Tickets printed with your name on them, can only pick them up the door (and enter immediately), and ect. See for yourself at http://www.nin.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Blueline29
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Blueline29 »

STL JA wrote:
Blueline29 wrote:

Look at all those Parrotheads... :lol:
And that's HALF of the lawn, not to mention the 50 billion people who were eternally ahead of me in the beer line. :lol: I was sitting on the sloped area a little more than halfway across. Insanity.

Interesting experience. I've never seen anything like that before, with the tailgating and the costuming and the car-accessorizing....it was nuts. Dude puts on a darn good show, though.

BoxCar
All-Star
All-Star

Post by BoxCar »

I've just experienced Stubhub for the first time for the Cards/Cubs tix I bought for tonight's game. I got 2 front row aisle seats that would normally be 45.00 each for 41.00 each. Not bad, I think stubhub operates like ebay (and is now either owned or just affiliated with ebay) where users sell their tickets as well. They take lots of commission though, 20% from the seller's sell price and an extra 10% from the buyer's price. For sports at least, buying from Ebay is OK since a lot of times season ticket holders are selling their seats.
Official President of the 2011-2012 Sponsorship Committee of the honorable Alex Pietrangelo