What would you do?

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

What would you do?

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

You were recently offered a management position at a company. It is something that would be awesome and would give you oodles of experience. It has a client ell of over 800,000/year (composites, sports pictures, etc.) which you would oversee (and also have the opportunity to shoot!). Even though it doesn't pay as much as your current job, it has significant growth potential, casual environment, and it's a family business (very nice people). Monday-Friday job with a bit of weekend work, as business picks up. Job security is high.

You currently work as a manager in a multi-million dollar restaurant, which you dislike. The pay is very good and the growth potential is decent. However, it is VERY political and you have become somewhat of a target with the administrative staff due to some bad luck you've had while at work, none of which was your fault (yet you still get blamed). Job security isn't great, as management turnover is somewhat high. So it's kind of dead end. Work every weekend and long hours.

So what would you do?

Ahem, this isn't about me. It's about a friend of mine... :wink:

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Re: What would you do?

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

Take whatever gets you out of Lawrence, Bybee. :lol:

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

Winning Unlimited
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Winning Unlimited »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:Take whatever gets you out of Lawrence, Bybee. :lol:
Its for a friend though, apparently. Where is this new business? maybe he can get you a job there when he becomes successful in it? Tell him to find it and skull frank it

then get out of lawrence :grin:

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Any chance you have to get out of the restaurant business should be considered a gift from a higher power of some sort.

GET THE F*** OUT and congrats!
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

Topshelf331
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Topshelf331 »

From the way it sounds your friend is already on the doorstep to leaving just without a job lined up. Take the job with less stress before you get blindsided, and that job is already filled. Leave on your terms. How can you go wrong with good job security and future opportunities.

barnburner
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by barnburner »

If your friend hates his present job - he/she should get out.
If you have to spend your life working - might as well make it a job that you find interesting, and enjoy.

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

I took the job.... err... my friend did.

Yeah for getting out of the restaurant business!!!

:letsgoblues: :letsgoblues: :letsgoblues: :letsgoblues: :letsgoblues:

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

First off, Lawrence is a great place to live.

Second, congrats TSU.

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

ksbluesfan wrote:First off, Lawrence is a great place to live.

Second, congrats TSU.
Lawrence is 2nd only to Detroit on the list of evil places in the world.

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:

Second, congrats TSU.
Why? Do you dislike great live music, excellent restaurants, great record stores or hippies? I lived in Lawrence for 3 years, and absolutely loved it. If not for the hot coed chicks, I wouldn't have noticed that there was a college there.

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

ksbluesfan wrote:

Second, congrats TSU.
Why? Do you dislike great live music, excellent restaurants, great record stores or hippies? I lived in Lawrence for 3 years, and absolutely loved it. If not for the hot coed chicks, I wouldn't have noticed that there was a college there.

Can you not notice the simple fact that Jayhawkers live there? :lol:

And yeah I've spent time there. Objectively it's fine. I wouldn't put it as any cooler place to live than Columbia. Though I think you're high if you can pretend there's no college there.

But I see that goofy-ass bird and hate floods through my body that only the winged wheel could surpass.

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

ksbluesfan wrote:

Second, congrats TSU.

Can you not notice the simple fact that Jayhawkers live there? :lol:

And yeah I've spent time there. Objectively it's fine. I wouldn't put it as any cooler place to live than Columbia. Though I think you're high if you can pretend there's no college there.

But I see that goofy-ass bird and hate floods through my body that only the winged wheel could surpass.
I saw some of the greatest shows in Lawrence such as White Zombie at the Outhouse with 12 other people, Pearl Jam about a month after Ten was released at the Day On The Hill, countless shows at the Bottleneck. There were so many bands on the brink of making big, the town had a buzz comparable to Austin TX. William S. Burroughs could be seen walking down Mass. St. Fred Phelps appeared regularly with his "God Hates Fags" family. Hot sorority girls were just a bonus. I loved my years there.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Assuming the difference in pay isn't a ton, I'd take a lesser paying job that I would love, over a higher paying job that I wouldn't like.
Personally, I think it's worth quite a bit of money to be happy at work. Less stress, you'll live longer and be happier in general.
To get up in the morning and actually look forward to going to work is something special, IMO.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Judging by the way you wrote the article, you are already heavily leaning one way :wink:

take the new job.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

the knob
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by the knob »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote: Lawrence is 2nd only to Detroit on the list of evil places in the world.
Plusity plus plus. On my recent trip to Denver, I made sure to not gas up in Lawrence. Frank those Jayhawkers. If I could load up the entire state of Kansas on a barge and give it a Missouri sled ride, I would.

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

Lawrence is a kick-ass college town. The campus is way more scenic than Mizzou, and the surrounding neighborhoods have great laid-back house parties compared to all the greek BS at Mizzou. And Free State is better than Flat Branch. And Papa Keno's is better than Shakespeare's.

The Mizzou hatred for KU cracks me up. My parents both went there and were always giving me crap. But at KU we could really give a crap about Mizzou. Our hatred was all focused on K-State.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

the knob
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by the knob »

big d note wrote: The Mizzou hatred for KU cracks me up. My parents both went there and were always giving me crap. But at KU we could really give a crap about Mizzou. Our hatred was all focused on K-State.
Was at Mickey D's a couple months back when some busload of Kansans came in the doors (couldn't tell if they were high schooler or college-age). After counting at least three KU Orange Bowl t-shirts in the crowd, in fricking Columbia, I think my hate is justified. I also loved the classy movie of KU's baseball team wearing red socks (aka redlegs, check your Civil War history) when they came to town two seasons back.

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Historicaly a Jayhawk is a Kansan that comes into Missouri; then rapes, pillages, and murders.. Not saying it didn't happen both ways but Missouri at least didn't name their freakin football team after it in pride. Thus, I think hating KU is pretty justified.

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

Like I said, the kids probably didn't even give much thought to the fact that they were going to Columbia before putting on their Orange Bowl shirts. The Mizzou-KU hate mostly flows one way. I got a KU basketball champs shirt for Father's Day, maybe I should take a picture of it and put it in my sig to annoy the Mizzou fans here since KU seems to cause more meltage than goon around here. :lol:

I hadn't heard about the red socks thing. Was that an intentional redlegs reference? And are people still personally offended by references to Quantrill and all that anymore? Not exactly current events, and there were atrocities on both sides.

I'm definitely not defending the state of Kansas as whole, just Lawrence. It's like one of those pockets of coolness in an otherwise crappy state, like Austin, TX.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

and there were atrocities on both sides.
Like I said.. Missouri didn't name their school the "Mizzou Bushwhackers".