The Beer thread

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: The Beer thread

Post by goon attack »

What about the taste of say, Heinken or a beer like Fat Tire? I hate both of those beers. the fat tire almost tastes like incense. Man, I HATE that fukken beer.

Is that grassy flavor considered a hoppy taste?
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

marco
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by marco »

goon attack wrote:What about the taste of say, Heinken or a beer like Fat Tire? I hate both of those beers. the fat tire almost tastes like incense. Man, I HATE that fukken beer.

Is that grassy flavor considered a hoppy taste?
Heinken probably has a different and more of Barley Malt plus more hops than you would find in a Budweiser. Fat Tire has a malt focused recipe but I wouldn't consider it hoppy since it's not particularly bitter... it's an Amber Ale. The other component from hops is the malt, and that's what gives a lot of beers the different flavors outside of bitterness. Like barley malt, rice malt, wheat malt and what ever crazy combination of stuff the Belgians come up with.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I know that for a dopplebock the main flavor is the malt. I like that flavor. There are just some beers like Fat Tire that I hate. Maybe it's just the Belgian style beer I don't care for.

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

marco
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by marco »

goon attack wrote:I know that for a dopplebock the main flavor is the malt. I like that flavor. There are just some beers like Fat Tire that I hate. Maybe it's just the Belgian style beer I don't care for.
I think the Fat Tire is an American recipe actually, it's listed under an American Amber / Red Ale. If you like Dopplebocks I think you would like a Belgian Quadruple - they're a little richer and have double-digit alcohol content, but they're very well malted, you can even age them like wine.

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

Goon, have you tried Alaskan Amber? That to me is a traditional amber with a heavy malt taste. It still has some hoppy taste because it's a northwest beer, but rather smooth. Ambers can get a little heavy and thick, so my taste for them has cooled down some.

I really like a hoppy beer if it is done right and the correct hops are used. Cascade (developed by Oregon State :okman: ) or Chinook are main ones used...although there is alot of different ones being used now. Noble hops are used in all the bathwater beer (general lagers) because of their low bitterness. Bridgeport to me has the best IPA.

Funny, because a good hoppy beer will have an aroma of grapefruit, but the taste will be bitter. That bitterness should be dry though and make you want more. Too many IPAs go to the extreme and pound the hops too much. Fruity, summer beers to me are the Heffies...wheat beer. I don't mind them...Widmers is pretty good.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

Marco...

Really? It seems like every time I try a new beer and the bartender/brewmaster tells me it's "hoppy", I almost taste a hint of citrus. Kinda like what Goon was describing with the pale ales. That's the only way I can describe it. I don't know if you've ever had Bells Oberon, but that's what I mean. I like most of Bells' brews, but not that one. Most summer beers seem to have that citrus'y hint.

marco
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by marco »

Ruutu15 wrote:Marco...

Really? It seems like every time I try a new beer and the bartender/brewmaster tells me it's "hoppy", I almost taste a hint of citrus. Kinda like what Goon was describing with the pale ales. That's the only way I can describe it. I don't know if you've ever had Bells Oberon, but that's what I mean. I like most of Bells' brews, but not that one. Most summer beers seem to have that citrus'y hint.
"hoppy" should only be used to describe the bitterness. Malts provide sweetness through fermentable sugars. If you want to really separate the flavors in your mouth swish it around like wine tasters.
Humulus Lupulus (hops) are the flowering cone of a perennial vining plant and a cousin of the cannabis variety (sorry no THC in this stuff) that typically thrives in climates similar to the ones that grapes do. Hop plants are dioecious, meaning the males and females flower on separate plants -- and the female cones are used in the brewing process. Hops are the age old seasoning of the beer, the liquid gargoyles who ward-off spoilage from wild bacteria and bringers of balance to sweet malts. They also lend a hand in head retention, help to clear beer (acting as a natural filter) and please the palate by imparting their unique characters and flavours. Basically, hops put the "bitter" in beer.
Source

Malts (and adjuncts) provide the fermentable sugars that are required to make beer (and to make beer "sweet"). The process of malting converts insoluble starch to soluble starch, reduces complex proteins, generates nutrients for yeast development, and develops enzymes.
Source

marco
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by marco »

You guys are making me thirsty, and I have nothing at the condo but Pepsi.

:lol:

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

Thanks, Marco. I'll check the links out. :)

The bar down the street has $2 beers on Tuesdays and I didn't go this evening. A Tetley's sounds pretty fire right now, too.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

this thread rules. I'm learning a lot.

Tonight with dinner I had the Paulaner Premium Pils

I then had a Paulaner Salvator which was really strange but good.

I then tried a Tucher Hefe, which was very similar to the Franziskaner hefe I've been trying. Subtle pepper flavor with a strong banana flavor (of all things).

So finally, I decided to break out the bad boy for my final beer of the night:

I was really surprised by the differences between the Salvator and the Celebrator. The Salvator is Amber and sweet almost while the Celebrator is more coffee flavored and practically black although they both have that strong malty flavor, making them recognizable as the same style. Bizarre. I have an Optimator in the fridge that I will try in the next few days. These dopplebocks are really good for my palate.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

goon attack wrote:this thread rules. I'm learning a lot.

Tonight with dinner I had the Paulaner Premium Pils

I then had a Paulaner Salvator which was really strange but good.

I then tried a Tucher Hefe, which was very similar to the Franziskaner hefe I've been trying. Subtle pepper flavor with a strong banana flavor (of all things).

So finally, I decided to break out the bad boy for my final beer of the night:

I was really surprised by the differences between the Salvator and the Celebrator. The Salvator is Amber and sweet almost while the Celebrator is more coffee flavored and practically black although they both have that strong malty flavor, making them recognizable as the same style. Bizarre. I have an Optimator in the fridge that I will try in the next few days. These dopplebocks are really good for my palate.

That's it, godd--it. We're putting our differences aside and getting a few beers next time I'm in STL.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Dude there are differences in real life and there are stupid, time wasting, ONLINE differences that are absolutely meaningless. Or at least that is the way I see it.

I'd tip a few back with you any day of the week. I'd tip a few back with every single person on this board without a second thought.

It's just the way I roll. 8)

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

goon attack wrote:Dude there are differences in real life and there are stupid, time wasting, ONLINE differences that are absolutely meaningless. Or at least that is the way I see it.

I'd tip a few back with you any day of the week. I'd tip a few back with every single person on this board without a second thought.

It's just the way I roll. 8)
Me too, man. I'll probably be in town for another Cards game pretty soon, and we'll be sure to go get a few. :okman:

marco
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by marco »

Interesting glassware tip:
Getting Some Glassware
Many are available on-line, at stores like Crate & Barrel or, for those of you in the beer industry, from restaurant glassware wholesalers. Also checkout your local beer store who might carry a selection of glassware, and even the occasional glassware giveaway with purchase.

Handling Tips
Never chill your glassware, and decline if served a frosted glass. Why? As the beer hits the frosted glass condensation will occur and dilute your beer, while at the same time alter the serving temperature.

Hand-wash all glasses. Some dishwashers will leave a residue, which may effect the head retention as well as the flavor and aroma. Use a mild dishwashing soap, and if you are really anal retentive have a separate sponge for your glass ware so there is not cross contamination from greasy food particles on a used sponge. Let them air dry, do not hand dry because the towel may leave dust particles which will affect the head retention. Caring for you glassware in this manner will also protect gold- or silver- rimmed glasses and glasses with silk-screened brewery logos.
Source

People always look at me weird when I decline a frosty glass, well there's why, and it's true.

marco
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by marco »

Here's one of my favorites on my beer glass shelf at home:

choppa4
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by choppa4 »

marco wrote:Interesting glassware tip:
Getting Some Glassware
Many are available on-line, at stores like Crate & Barrel or, for those of you in the beer industry, from restaurant glassware wholesalers. Also checkout your local beer store who might carry a selection of glassware, and even the occasional glassware giveaway with purchase.

Handling Tips
Never chill your glassware, and decline if served a frosted glass. Why? As the beer hits the frosted glass condensation will occur and dilute your beer, while at the same time alter the serving temperature.

Hand-wash all glasses. Some dishwashers will leave a residue, which may effect the head retention as well as the flavor and aroma. Use a mild dishwashing soap, and if you are really anal retentive have a separate sponge for your glass ware so there is not cross contamination from greasy food particles on a used sponge. Let them air dry, do not hand dry because the towel may leave dust particles which will affect the head retention. Caring for you glassware in this manner will also protect gold- or silver- rimmed glasses and glasses with silk-screened brewery logos.
Source

People always look at me weird when I decline a frosty glass, well there's why, and it's true.
This is very correct. Most people serve their beer too cold as well, unless it's one of the mass produced, mass market beers, I let them sit for a few minutes before drinking.
Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
-Helen Keller

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

A cold frosty mug is good for Coors or Miller Light. It helps freeze your taste buds so you can't taste it as much. :okman:

Some of the summer beers with a citrusy taste also add coriander. The hops add the bitterness like marco said and some of them have a grass or pine needle flavor to me.

The type of hops used in these really hoppy IPAs makes a big difference to the flavor. I like Schlafly's dry-hopped APA a lot more than Boulder Beer's Hazed and Infused, for instance.

I don't get the hate for Fat Tire. Fat Tire on draft goes great with some good pizza or a chicken sandwich. Perfect beer to wash down some food.

I need to get some Shiner Bock sometime. I probably haven't had it in 2 years since I left Texas. It's so cheap there that it was my go-to beer at a restaurant or a concert. Usually the same price as Budweiser and way tastier.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

We sold Shiner Bock at the bar I worked at. It was my guzzle of choice for many, many shifts.

Not bad for a shit beer. Certainly better than Bud, BL, Busch, Pabst, Stag, or Lone Star, which were the other shit choices I had.

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

I finally got a chance to bottle my pale ale last night. The final gravity reading was great, and the taste was very smooth. It seemed a little light on hops, but my taste buds were a little skewed because I was drinking some Dale's Pale Ale while bottling and most beers would taste under-hopped compared to that. The clarity of the beer was really good, and there wasn't any yeast aftertaste like my first 2 batches of homebrew. Both of those had the same odd aftertaste even though one was a nut brown ale and one was an amber ale, and the ingredients were very different. Both were extract kits with the same Munton's dry yeast, so I think I was tasting an off-flavor from that yeast. This time I tried SF-05 and it attenuated really well and that flavor is gone. In 2 weeks I can crack open a bottle and try the final results.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

marco
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by marco »

big d note wrote:I finally got a chance to bottle my pale ale last night. The final gravity reading was great, and the taste was very smooth. It seemed a little light on hops, but my taste buds were a little skewed because I was drinking some Dale's Pale Ale while bottling and most beers would taste under-hopped compared to that. The clarity of the beer was really good, and there wasn't any yeast aftertaste like my first 2 batches of homebrew. Both of those had the same odd aftertaste even though one was a nut brown ale and one was an amber ale, and the ingredients were very different. Both were extract kits with the same Munton's dry yeast, so I think I was tasting an off-flavor from that yeast. This time I tried SF-05 and it attenuated really well and that flavor is gone. In 2 weeks I can crack open a bottle and try the final results.
As soon as I get out of my condo I'm gonna take a crack at brewing my own batches of beer. Just as you described, I've been told by many, that as soon as you brew your own beer you really notice the different flavors and nuances much more clearly than you do if you have never made your own beer. I can't wait. Great work D-Note, third time sounds like a real charm!