The Beer thread

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

marco
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: The Beer thread

Post by marco »

Extra Special Bitter's are tough to brew. The name is slightly misleading. It's not supposed to be heavily infused with hops like an India Pale Ale, but instead it seeks to counter balance it with a generous malt (which a lot of people may not like). If the balance is screwed-up then you could end up drinking something a little nasty. Schlafly's actually has a decent ESB, but I find that the ESB's aren't my personal cup of tea either.

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

glen a richter wrote:I remember the last time I bought bud light. It was also the first time I bought bud light.

No offense to the city of St. Louis, but Budweiser is just awful, totally awful. It's a rice beer, because rice is cheap, and that makes it a cheap beer.

You, sir, are an ass.... I should have stabbed you and you fiance.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

rebelmusic
All-Star
All-Star

Post by rebelmusic »

I like the malty's...Wee Heavy FTW.
Proud LGB Sponsor of my junk!

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

I drank and threw up too much Bud Light in college and can't really drink it anymore. Usually if the choice is between Bud Light or water I'll take the water.

I was planting grass seed yesterday and it smelled kinda like barley. I was seriously tempted to taste one of the seeds but they had a weird blue coating on them. One of my favorite parts of the AB tour is tasting the different malt and barley samples they have.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

I made a run to Lukas today.

4 Celebrator
4 Sam Smith Nut Brown Ale
6 Franziskaner Hefe Weiss

:P
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

F Keenan wrote:
glen a richter wrote:I remember the last time I bought bud light. It was also the first time I bought bud light.

No offense to the city of St. Louis, but Budweiser is just awful, totally awful. It's a rice beer, because rice is cheap, and that makes it a cheap beer.

That was you?

By the way, fiance with one "e" is the guy and fiancee with two "e"s is the girl. Ergo, unless you're implying I'm gay, you missed a letter.

Budweiser still sucks.

Canadian beer is the best.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

hockeychick5739
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by hockeychick5739 »

I turned 21 last week and I didn't like any of the beers I tasted. Acquired taste, I suppose? Anyway, I'm doing the Guiness tour in Ireland in July so I better suit up.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Canadian beer is to beer what Dan Quinn is to power forward.

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

big d note wrote:One of my favorite parts of the AB tour is tasting the different malt and barley samples they have.
Bastards... I didn't get to do that. :evil:

I still can't kick my milk stout kick... I've gone through a case and a half now in 6 pack increments.

:o

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

Prngr44 wrote:
big d note wrote:One of my favorite parts of the AB tour is tasting the different malt and barley samples they have.

I still can't kick my milk stout kick... I've gone through a case and a half now in 6 pack increments.

Something's just not right about that post.
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Prngr44 wrote:
Take a ziploc bag the next time you go. Some of that stuff tastes pretty good. You'll want to sneak some home.
I think my favorite was the six-row malt. (but it's been a while)
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

marco
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by marco »

stlbluz wrote:
Prngr44 wrote:

Something's just not right about that post.
That Milk Stout has a lot of flavor to it. If anyone likes stouts, I would definitely recommend it. Whole Foods and Lukas carry it.

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

glen a richter wrote:
F Keenan wrote:

That was you?

By the way, fiance with one "e" is the guy and fiancee with two "e"s is the girl. Ergo, unless you're implying I'm gay, you missed a letter.

Budweiser still sucks.

Canadian beer is the best.

Let me explain this as I down another cold bottle of the king of beers.

That's exactly what I was getting at, your fiancee looks like a fiance. I am calling her a man, no go f u c k your mother, how do you like them apples teach! :lol:
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

Hoppy beers taste like shit. If I want to drink something with a fruity taste, I'll buy orange juice. Summer beers suck.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Ruutu15 wrote:Hoppy beers taste like shit. If I want to drink something with a fruity taste, I'll buy orange juice. Summer beers suck.
I'm pretty much in agreement here. I bought a paulaner pils and will give it a chance tonight.

So far, all the IPAs and pilsners I've tried blow ass.

the schlafly summer kolsch is a good beer to guzzle though. You should try it. I didn't like it the first time I had it but now I chug it all summer. :okman:

The dopplebocks, hefes, and brown ales are the ones I like most, stouts are second.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

goon attack wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:Hoppy beers taste like shit. If I want to drink something with a fruity taste, I'll buy orange juice. Summer beers suck.
I'm pretty much in agreement here. I bought a paulaner pils and will give it a chance tonight.

So far, all the IPAs and pilsners I've tried blow ass.

the schlafly summer kolsch is a good beer to guzzle though. You should try it. I didn't like it the first time I had it but now I chug it all summer. :okman:

The dopplebocks, hefes, and brown ales are the ones I like most, stouts are second.

We agree on something! I'll be sure to try your recommendation...might even be tonight! :okman:

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

You might not like it. It's got a very subtle citrusy flavor. Not strong, but it's there.

It's not hoppy tho, so that gross grassy taste is NOT present.

marco
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by marco »

Hops taste bitter, not fruity.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

marco wrote:
Hops taste bitter, not fruity.
I just want to get all this straight.

an example of hoppy beers would be like IPAs, right?

I just tried a Paulaner Premium Pils and it was.....excellent. That is what Bud should taste like. That doesn't seem hoppy at all, right?

However, I tried Blue Paddle Pilsner from New Belgium and it was exactly the kind of beer I DON'T like so I'm confused.

Is it that the Belgian and German style beers are different?

Come on, give me a tutorial. 8)

marco
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by marco »

Yes, an IPA (India Pale Ale) is a hoppy beer (distinctly bitter taste).

Hops is the spice of beer... brewers don't use basil :wink: and it is also a preservative... so in way I guess you could kind of describle almost like salt for beer. So when the British set up colonies in India and they needed to ship beer across the planet in ships they would put a lot more hops in their brew recipe so that when the beer got to India it hadn't spoiled.