Best band from each state

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Blues Fan in SF
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Re: Best band from each state

Post by Blues Fan in SF »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:
WindyCityBluesFan wrote:Washington: I do like the AIC choice from a grunge perspective, but Modest Mouse has overtaken them overall in my mind.
FAIL
Agreed- Modest Mouse is mediocre at best.

What's the point of this thread? Everyone's taste in music is subjective anyway, we're just going for who can agree with who the most :lol:
Modest Mouse used to be awesome...The Lonesome Crowded West is still my favorite album of theirs...I have not really liked anything they've done since The Moon And Antarctica, though...

Best Washington State Band = Sunny Day Real Estate. There, I said it.
"Don't need it proven
don't want to listen
don't need a tour
of the pieces I'm missing..."

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

Blues Fan in SF wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:
WindyCityBluesFan wrote:Washington: I do like the AIC choice from a grunge perspective, but Modest Mouse has overtaken them overall in my mind.
FAIL

What's the point of this thread? Everyone's taste in music is subjective anyway, we're just going for who can agree with who the most :lol:
Modest Mouse used to be awesome...The Lonesome Crowded West is still my favorite album of theirs...I have not really liked anything they've done since The Moon And Antarctica, though...

Finally, somebody suggests a band even more obscure than the ones I suggested.

:lol:

Blues Fan in SF
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Blues Fan in SF »

ksbluesfan wrote:
Blues Fan in SF wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
SIU LAW wrote:
FAIL

Finally, somebody suggests a band even more obscure than the ones I suggested.

Actually, SDRE isn't really that obscure. For really obscure, I could have said Lync, Roadside Monument, or State Route 522.

And actually, I think I like Unwound more than SDRE from Washington, anyway...so I change my answer to Unwound. 8)
"Don't need it proven
don't want to listen
don't need a tour
of the pieces I'm missing..."

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by StillBleedingBlue »

ksbluesfan wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:I'd have to think that South Carolina goes with the Marshall Tucker Band, but they're the only band I know of from SC.
You've never heard of Nile? Technical death metal with an Egyptian theme. They're very good.
I cannot plus plus this enough. Karl Sanders is quite a genius as far as tech death goes.
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote: Habeus Corpus is for suckaz!

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

StillBleedingBlue wrote:
ksbluesfan wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:I'd have to think that South Carolina goes with the Marshall Tucker Band, but they're the only band I know of from SC.
You've never heard of Nile? Technical death metal with an Egyptian theme. They're very good.
I cannot plus plus this enough. Karl Sanders is quite a genius as far as tech death goes.
I downloaded Origin's s/t based on your Kansas suggestion. I'm impressed. I didn't think it was possible for anything good to come out of the hellhole that is Topeka, KS.

In your opinion, what is the best release so far this year? Testament's latest is pretty good. I still need to get my hands on the latest Judas Priest and Opeth.

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

ksbluesfan wrote:
StillBleedingBlue wrote:
ksbluesfan wrote:
I downloaded Origin's s/t based on your Kansas suggestion. I'm impressed. I didn't think it was possible for anything good to come out of the hellhole that is Topeka, KS.

In your opinion, what is the best release so far this year? Testament's latest is pretty good. I still need to get my hands on the latest Judas Priest and Opeth.
Origin's entire discography is impressive, and their newest album, "Antithesis" is, in my opinion, their best album, and definitely among my short list of best albums from this year (so far, that is). They may take Decapitated's spot amongst the tech death elite with this album if Decapitated call it quits now with the passing of Vitek.

Testament's was pretty good, though kind of lackluster given all the hope I had for Skolnick's return to form.

Opeth's "Watershed" is good as expected, albeit a bit overrated, but then again, Opeth always seems to be a little bit overrated.

Two other albums that really caught my attention were Keep of Kalessin's "Kolossus" and Ihsahn's "angL". Keep of Kalessin is probably best described as a second-generation Norweigian black metal band, reminiscent of a mix between late-period Emperor, Amon Amarth, and Nile, and their last album, "Armada", really impressed me, but this album blows it away. It's definitely worth checking out. Ihsahn's album, "angL", is his second solo album, and, though I may be a bit biased since I tend to love everything Emperor/Ihsahn has ever done, this album is also very impressive. It's a natural progression from Emperor's "Prometheus", with a more pronounced black metal feel than his last album, "The Adversary".

Given all the bands that are putting out albums still this year in metal, especially Anata, Gorod, Nevermore, and hopefully Cynic, one of those albums are going to take the title of the best of the year. I'm not even holding my breath for Metallica's new one.

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

StillBleedingBlue wrote:Origin's entire discography is impressive, and their newest album, "Antithesis" is, in my opinion, their best album, and definitely among my short list of best albums from this year (so far, that is). They may take Decapitated's spot amongst the tech death elite with this album if Decapitated call it quits now with the passing of Vitek.

Testament's was pretty good, though kind of lackluster given all the hope I had for Skolnick's return to form.

Opeth's "Watershed" is good as expected, albeit a bit overrated, but then again, Opeth always seems to be a little bit overrated.

Two other albums that really caught my attention were Keep of Kalessin's "Kolossus" and Ihsahn's "angL". Keep of Kalessin is probably best described as a second-generation Norweigian black metal band, reminiscent of a mix between late-period Emperor, Amon Amarth, and Nile, and their last album, "Armada", really impressed me, but this album blows it away. It's definitely worth checking out. Ihsahn's album, "angL", is his second solo album, and, though I may be a bit biased since I tend to love everything Emperor/Ihsahn has ever done, this album is also very impressive. It's a natural progression from Emperor's "Prometheus", with a more pronounced black metal feel than his last album, "The Adversary".

Given all the bands that are putting out albums still this year in metal, especially Anata, Gorod, Nevermore, and hopefully Cynic, one of those albums are going to take the title of the best of the year. I'm not even holding my breath for Metallica's new one.
Cool. I'll have to check out the new Origin and some Decapitated and Ihsahn too. It's funny that you mention Keep of Kalessin. I just downloaded "Kolossus" and "Armada" yesterday based on a suggestion from TC.

It's probably expecting too much to think Cynic will put out something as good as "Focus", but you never know. If so, that will be my album of the year.

The only thing I've seen from Metallica is the new album cover. It can't be as bad as "St. Anger", can it? I doubt they'll ever be thrash again.

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

ksbluesfan wrote:
StillBleedingBlue wrote:Origin's entire discography is impressive, and their newest album, "Antithesis" is, in my opinion, their best album, and definitely among my short list of best albums from this year (so far, that is). They may take Decapitated's spot amongst the tech death elite with this album if Decapitated call it quits now with the passing of Vitek.

Cool. I'll have to check out the new Origin and some Decapitated and Ihsahn too. It's funny that you mention Keep of Kalessin. I just downloaded "Kolossus" and "Armada" yesterday based on a suggestion from TC.

It's probably expecting too much to think Cynic will put out something as good as "Focus", but you never know. If so, that will be my album of the year.

The only thing I've seen from Metallica is the new album cover. It can't be as bad as "St. Anger", can it? I doubt they'll ever be thrash again.
I heard the new song Cynic put out last year, "Evolutionary Sleeper", and I recently managed to get my hands on a copy of their new promo with two new songs on it, and it is incredible. I expect their album to be the album of the year, hands down. They have not lost a step.

And I didn't think anything could be worse than "Re-Load" by Metallica, but they seemed to trump that one with "St. Anger", so I wouldn't be surprised if this is worse than their previous album, filled with all the trademark James Hetfield "yeahhhs" and "woahs" and Kirk Hammett's apparent fetish for the wah pedal post-"Black Album". I won't be surprised if this album is their equivalent to Megadeth's "Risk" as far as stains in a band's discography goes.

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

ksbluesfan wrote:

I heard the new song Cynic put out last year, "Evolutionary Sleeper", and I recently managed to get my hands on a copy of their new promo with two new songs on it, and it is incredible. I expect their album to be the album of the year, hands down. They have not lost a step.

And I didn't think anything could be worse than "Re-Load" by Metallica, but they seemed to trump that one with "St. Anger", so I wouldn't be surprised if this is worse than their previous album, filled with all the trademark James Hetfield "yeahhhs" and "woahs" and Kirk Hammett's apparent fetish for the wah pedal post-"Black Album". I won't be surprised if this album is their equivalent to Megadeth's "Risk" as far as stains in a band's discography goes.

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

It's hard to believe Metallica is the same band who put out four of the best metal albums of all time.

Have you heard Negura Bunget? Their style of black metal is impressive. They aren't as technically gifted as most of the bands you seem to like, but their music has incredible atmosphere.

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

ksbluesfan wrote:It's hard to believe Metallica is the same band who put out four of the best metal albums of all time.

Have you heard Negura Bunget? Their style of black metal is impressive. They aren't as technically gifted as most of the bands you seem to like, but their music has incredible atmosphere.

While I do tend to like a lot of technical metal, I have a similar love for black metal, its just less palletable for a lot of people. Regarding Negura Bunget, I've heard rave reviews of their album "Om" from some of my friends, but I haven't gotten a chance to hear them yet. I tend to love atmospheric/minimalist black metal; bands like Drudkh, Wolves in the Throne Room, Nyktalgia, Dark Fortress, and, of course, Burzum.

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

:aaaa:

Keep of Kalessin isn't a rap band, is it? Kolossus isn't what I expected. I guess eMusic made a mistake. I hope it was a mistake.

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

ksbluesfan wrote::aaaa:

Keep of Kalessin isn't a rap band, is it? Kolossus isn't what I expected. I guess eMusic made a mistake. I hope it was a mistake.
Nope, they are far from a rap band. Looks like eMusic hosed you.

the knob
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by the knob »

ksbluesfan wrote::aaaa:

Mel
Prospect
Prospect

Post by Mel »

Best bands from Missouri?

The Republic Tigers out of KC or Gumbohead...quite possibly my favorite band here in St. Louis.

Not that I want to be a hater, but not being from MO I don't understand the obsession with the Urge? What am I missing? I thought they were OK but by far not the best thing to come out of Missouri...

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

Damn I'm old.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Mel wrote:Best bands from Missouri?

The Republic Tigers out of KC or Gumbohead...quite possibly my favorite band here in St. Louis.

Not that I want to be a hater, but not being from MO I don't understand the obsession with the Urge? What am I missing? I thought they were OK but by far not the best thing to come out of Missouri...
I nominate Anacrusis for best band ever from Missouri. The first major metal band to ever come out of the state, and, as far as the scene goes, way before their time.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

Any of you HMCJ members fans of 13 Days or D-Railed (both local bands)? Saw them both last night at the Pageant. Thought D-railed was alright, but 13 Days about gave me a seizure (which I why I think they're up your ally).
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Couple nominations, all subjective obviously.

Massachusetts: Godsmack
Massachusetts: Killswitch Engage
New Jersey: Ill Niño
Pennsylvania: Breaking Benjamin
Tennessee: 10 Years
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

StillBleedingBlue wrote:
Mel wrote:Best bands from Missouri?

I nominate Anacrusis for best band ever from Missouri. The first major metal band to ever come out of the state, and, as far as the scene goes, way before their time.
I knew John Emery a little bit in high school.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller