Best band from each state

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Best band from each state

Post by goon attack »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:Seriously dude.. Florida- Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band.. Skynard goes under Alabama if only for Sweet Home Alabama.
Skynyrd was formed in Jacksonville Florida.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

ksbluesfan wrote:Vermont: Witch

It's J Mascis' stoner/doom metal band.

Anything is better than Phish.
Is Witch's guitarist in Rolling Stone's top 100 of all time? Cuz Phish's is. Not to mention Phish sold out every venue they played at from about 1994-2004 including festivals that were attended by hundreds of thousands (with just Phish, no support acts).
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

A little OT, but (1) Rolling Stone sucks. (2) that list is automatically illegitimate because it did include Prince (for starters). Prince is not my favorite artist by any means, but he should be included on any top 100 guitarist lists. The Dude has got chops.

Jack White at #17?!? :lol:

No Billy Gibbons, but Jack White. At #17. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I didn’t know Mascis had a doom band. Cool.

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

deadphish wrote:

Is Witch's guitarist in Rolling Stone's top 100 of all time? Cuz Phish's is. Not to mention Phish sold out every venue they played at from about 1994-2004 including festivals that were attended by hundreds of thousands (with just Phish, no support acts).
Are you talking about the guy who took all of those questionable pictures of a 9-year-old?

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

ksbluesfan wrote:
deadphish wrote:

Are you talking about the guy who took all of those questionable pictures of a 9-year-old?
He's an artist. :shock:

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Billy Gibbons is easily Top 20.

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

That was the Phish bass player, Mike Gordon (who I have hung out with a couple times) who had the crap beaten out of him for taking pics of a kid. That whole thing was a sham and the Hell's Angels apoligized afterwards. If you knew Mike, or anything about him he is just weird like that and wasn't thinking straight at Jones Beach that night.

As far as RS magazine's credibility, I'll defer to them rather than the resident "music experts" here in our forum. :)

Seriously, Phish is irrefutabley the most significant band to ever come out of Vermont. They have a Ben&Jerry's flavor named after them for franks sake.

Also, I'm gonna have to apply the same logic to the Dead in Cali. They toured for over 30 YEARS and are the highest grossing concert ticket of ALL TIME. And Cherry Garcia ice cream is pretty damned tasty.

The Doors are awesome, but were short lived. It's hard for anyone in Rock'n'Roll to even touch what the Dead acheived in their career. One could argue they are one of the top 3 acts of all time.
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Nyghtewynd wrote:The only band I can think of from Iowa that would fit into your list is Slipknot.
Destrophy- myspace them. Equal if not a little better than Slipknot.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Portland Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Portland Blues »

goon attack wrote:Billy Gibbons is easily Top 20.
I used to know him through an old job. He called me one time comepletely hammered. We were on the phone for at least 40 minutes. It was pretty funny. :lol:

choppa4
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by choppa4 »

Missouri - Punch You In The Face

http://www.myspace.com/pyitf
Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
-Helen Keller

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

goon attack wrote:Missouri - Athena and the Hubcaps

:lol:
I went to HS with Athena!

However, Missouri's best is London Calling. Or Pavlov's Dog. Don't forget about Head East. The Dog is still huge in Europe.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by StillBleedingBlue »

Oregon: Agalloch
Florida: Death
Georgia: Canvas Solaris
Maryland: Clutch
Kansas: Origin
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote: Habeus Corpus is for suckaz!

stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by stlbluz »

Where's _gassoff?
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald

Cajanek_Dvacetsest
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by Cajanek_Dvacetsest »

Leedog wrote:

However, Missouri's best is London Calling. Or Pavlov's Dog. Don't forget about Head East. The Dog is still huge in Europe.
In the early or mid 80;s I used to watch her when she played a little bar in FLO-LIN Corner. I used to fill in manage the Pasta House on Fridays in Florissant and would walk next door to listen to her. I would always ask her to play NEVER, SAY, NEVER...........I loved to hear her sing, "wouldn't it be better if we slept together"..........lol....I saw Pavlov's Dog over at the Grainery in Edwardsville ( I think) back in 76

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

California, by way of Ireland: Flogging Molly!
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

Cajanek_Dvacetsest wrote:
Leedog wrote:

In the early or mid 80;s I used to watch her when she played a little bar in FLO-LIN Corner. I used to fill in manage the Pasta House on Fridays in Florissant and would walk next door to listen to her. I would always ask her to play NEVER, SAY, NEVER...........I loved to hear her sing, "wouldn't it be better if we slept together"..........lol....I saw Pavlov's Dog over at the Grainery in Edwardsville ( I think) back in 76
Athena and I were both Ritenour '81, so probably mid '80's. I saw the Dog a couple of times around then, and a reunion show around '86, and the one at the Pageant a couple years ago. Used to know Safron pretty well, and through him, Surkampf and Scorfina a little bit. Saw Surkampf and his wife and a percussionist around this past Thanksgiving unplugged at a little dive in Soulard. Did a bunch of PD stuff. Awesome.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Surkamp interviewed my old band for the RFT in like 91 or 92. He totally just made up quotes that we didn't even say. :lol: They weren't bad quotes but just a little corny. You know, things that super cool budding rock stars like us wouldn't say. :roll: :lol:

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

Is there any band from New Jersey better than Bon Jovi?? :lol:

Texas is going to be another tough state to decide. Possible candidates:
Pantera
ZZ Top
Toadies
Speedealer

Okay, those last 2 probably don't have a chance, but they still kick ass.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

big d note wrote:Is there any band from New Jersey better than Bon Jovi?? :lol:
Overkill and Whiplash were great thrash bands from NJ. Symphony X is from NJ too. Anything is better than Bon Jovi, even Phish.

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

Overkill is definitely a good one.

What about Georgia: R.E.M. or the Black Crowes? Another band?
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now