Additions to your music collection

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Additions to you music collection

Post by ksbluesfan »

Three more today:

Sodom - Sodom
Destroyer 666 - Phoenix Rising
Xasthur - Xasthur

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

ksbluesfan wrote:Three more today:

Sodom - Sodom
Destroyer 666 - Phoenix Rising
Xasthur - Xasthur

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Miley Cyrus and Jonas Brothers.

DEY ARE DA ROCKXERD

:lol: :lol:

I'm on the list of the proverbial "metal heads" OS has so much love and affection towards.
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

SixDemonBag
3rd Line Grinder
3rd Line Grinder

Post by SixDemonBag »

Count me among the "metal-heads" as well, though I generally prefer a more melodic metal; a la In Flames, Soilwork, etc.

Personally, I need a little structure, harmony, intricate guitar pairings, maybe a keyboard here and there. I just can't do super down-tuned, thrash metal power cords all day long. But that's just my own taste.

Sadly, I'm having a hard time finding much new in this vein these days. Suggestions would be MORE than welcome.

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

SixDemonBag wrote: Sadly, I'm having a hard time finding much new in this vein these days. Suggestions would be MORE than welcome.
I'd love to help, but I really can't. I listen to old shit. None of the newer stuff really does much for me.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

SixDemonBag wrote:Suggestions would be MORE than welcome.
Have you ever gave Nevermore a listen? Kind of like Queensryche on steriods (and I mean that in a good way). No cookie monster vocals. Most people I know that want metal, but do not like rough vocals, really dig the band. Kind of melodramatic, but they can bring it.

Links:
http://search.playlist.com/tracks/never ... Has%20Come" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://search.playlist.com/tracks/never ... 0collector" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://search.playlist.com/tracks/never ... 20of%20God" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://search.playlist.com/tracks/never ... 0in%20line" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WaukeeBlues wrote:I'm on the list of the proverbial "metal heads" OS has so much love and affection towards.

Godsmack and 3 Doors Down are not metal.

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by StillBleedingBlue »

SIU LAW wrote:
SixDemonBag wrote:Suggestions would be MORE than welcome.
Have you ever gave Nevermore a listen? Kind of like Queensryche on steriods (and I mean that in a good way). No cookie monster vocals. Most people I know that want metal, but do not like rough vocals, really dig the band. Kind of melodramatic, but they can bring it.
Nevermore is one of the heaviest non-death metal bands I've ever heard. They've got a very interesting sound, and I like Warrel's voice for their sound too, as it's both melodic yet still heavy, and not mind wrenchingly awful like James LaBrie from Dream Theater. Not to mention they probably have the most talented guitarist in the entire genre right now, barring maybe Muhammad from Necrophagist.
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote: Habeus Corpus is for suckaz!

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

StillBleedingBlue wrote:
and not mind wrenchingly awful like James LaBrie from Dream Theater
Watch it.

Actually, LeBrie used to sound good. I thought he was phenomenal on Images and Words, which is still my favorite progressive metal album of all time. I think his last good album was Scenes from a Memory. Talk about a band that has fallen from grace... (at least in my eyes) I hate their new stuff.

I used to like Nevermore. Jeff Loomis is a fine guitarist, but they don't do much for me anymore. I'm just not into metal much these days. I've seen Nevermore like 3 or 4 times. If you're into that kind of thing, check em out. They have a pretty good live performance.

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

Okay, I found something cool last night.

Umphrey's Mcgee -Anchor Drops

Jam stuff... it's good

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

STL JA wrote:Talk about a band that has fallen from grace... (at least in my eyes) I hate their new stuff.
++

I blame the downfall on JP's roid use.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

Greatest Dream Theater related video ever (let it run a bit before giving up):

[youtube][/youtube]

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

SIU LAW wrote:Greatest Dream Theater related video ever (let it run a bit before giving up):

[youtube][/youtube]
I love it. :lol:

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

You may have to play guitar to find the whole thing (which we both do of course), but it is a riot.

It still hasn't got old. :lol:

The girlfriend gets tired of me saying that I am going into killzone mode.

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

John Petrucci looks like such a damn tool these days.

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

STL JA wrote:
StillBleedingBlue wrote:
and not mind wrenchingly awful like James LaBrie from Dream Theater
Watch it.

Actually, LeBrie used to sound good. I thought he was phenomenal on Images and Words, which is still my favorite progressive metal album of all time. I think his last good album was Scenes from a Memory. Talk about a band that has fallen from grace... (at least in my eyes) I hate their new stuff.
I love Images and Words, and I think he is fantastic on that. However, everything after that just gets exponentially more over-the-top with his voice/range, and it ruins the music for me. Dream Theater was one of those bands that, while they have put out great music, and have great talent, slagged off and never went to their potential, but just kind of floundered.

STL JA wrote:I used to like Nevermore. Jeff Loomis is a fine guitarist, but they don't do much for me anymore. I'm just not into metal much these days. I've seen Nevermore like 3 or 4 times. If you're into that kind of thing, check em out. They have a pretty good live performance.
I've heard that Nevermore puts on quite the show; I've yet to be able to see them. Their Queensryche's heir apparent atop the Seattle metal scene in regards to popularity. Another band much akin to Nevermore's sound is Zero Hour, though they may be a bit lighter.

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

One of the more interesting things about DT is how popular they are. For a progressive metal act that has really never had any radio play, they're a pretty big band. They make a lot of money. Many prog metals don't come close to drawing the kind of crowd DT does. I saw Symphony X at Pop's last July and there were maybe 100 people there. It was quite sad. A lot of people missed one hell of a show. Symphony X kicks ass.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

STL JA wrote:John Petrucci looks like such a damn tool these days.
Fool, JP will grind your bones with his shred AND pecs.

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

STL JA wrote:One of the more interesting things about DT is how popular they are. For a progressive metal act that has really never had any radio play, they're a pretty big band. They make a lot of money. Many prog metals don't come close to drawing the kind of crowd DT does. I saw Symphony X at Pop's last July and there were maybe 100 people there. It was quite sad. A lot of people missed one hell of a show. Symphony X kicks ass.
Very true. They only had one real single, and that was off of Images and Words with "Pull Me Under", hence their greatest hits album's reference to their sole hit single. This seems to be the case with a number of bands, i.e. Lamb of God, Type O Negative, etc. But, you are correct, it is strange that a prog metal band could be such a draw.

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

SixDemonBag wrote:Count me among the "metal-heads" as well, though I generally prefer a more melodic metal; a la In Flames, Soilwork, etc.

Personally, I need a little structure, harmony, intricate guitar pairings, maybe a keyboard here and there. I just can't do super down-tuned, thrash metal power cords all day long. But that's just my own taste.

Sadly, I'm having a hard time finding much new in this vein these days. Suggestions would be MORE than welcome.
You must try Dawn of Tears. They're from Spain, but all of the melodeath fans seem to love them.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of that genre, but I'll list several bands that you might enjoy.

Arch Enemy, At the Gates, Insomnium, Kalmah, Mercenary, Norther, Omnium Gatherum, Skyfire, Wintersun, Norther, Wintersun, Mercenary, Disarmonia Mundi, Scar Symmetry, Darkane, Naildown, The Absence, Blood Stain Child, Noumena, Mors Principium Est, Soulscar, Blind Stare, Zonaria, Gates of Ishtar, The Arcane Order, Amon Amarth, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Infernal Tenebra, Intestine Baalism, Karelian Warcry....

I would suggest Arsis, but they're more technical death metal than melodic. I love them, so that means they're probably not what you're looking for.

That should keep you busy for a while. If you want more suggestions, let me know.

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

ksbluesfan wrote:
SixDemonBag wrote:Count me among the "metal-heads" as well, though I generally prefer a more melodic metal; a la In Flames, Soilwork, etc.

You must try Dawn of Tears. They're from Spain, but all of the melodeath fans seem to love them.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of that genre, but I'll list several bands that you might enjoy.

Arch Enemy, At the Gates, Insomnium, Kalmah, Mercenary, Norther, Omnium Gatherum, Skyfire, Wintersun, Norther, Wintersun, Mercenary, Disarmonia Mundi, Scar Symmetry, Darkane, Naildown, The Absence, Blood Stain Child, Noumena, Mors Principium Est, Soulscar, Blind Stare, Zonaria, Gates of Ishtar, The Arcane Order, Amon Amarth, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Infernal Tenebra, Intestine Baalism, Karelian Warcry....

I would suggest Arsis, but they're more technical death metal than melodic. I love them, so that means they're probably not what you're looking for.

That should keep you busy for a while. If you want more suggestions, let me know.
I'll add Norther to that list as well... not my thing, but you might like em.

And Arcturus.