Additions to your music collection

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: Additions to your music collection

Post by big d note »

I was kinda lukewarm on Pop when it first came out, but it grew on me pretty fast. I agree that the guitar sounds and mix of electronic music are definitely fresh and unusual for U2. I got a little tired of all the hype they did during that period (CD release at Kmart, etc), but I saw that tour at the Dome (ugh) and it was a great show nonetheless. Franking Third Eye Blind opened for them, so we spent that time sitting in a lounge area on the concourse.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by StillBleedingBlue »

Isaac Hayes - "Black Moses"
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote: Habeus Corpus is for suckaz!

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

:okman:
Odal - Zornes Heimat
Heimdalls Wacht - ut de graute olle tied - deel I
Heimdalls Wacht - der untergang der alten welt

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

THERION

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

STL JA wrote:THERION
\m/

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

I like Therion's "Beyond Sanctorum", but I can't stand their operatic stuff. If I want opera, I'll listen to Rossini.

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

Toadies - No Deliverance

This new album by the Toadies rocks. Just good meat and potatoes rock. They add a bit of classic rock vibe to the Toadies sound with quite a few tips of the hat to old school ZZ Top. Recommended.

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Metallica - Death Magnetic

Yeah... I won't go into detail on that one...

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

StillBleedingBlue wrote:Metallica - Death Magnetic

I am going to pick up this weekend.

I hated the first song I heard (the single), but I heard parts of a couple of the other songs and it has my interest up. From what I heard, there is some definite nods to the Justice album.

I could have listen to the whole album by now on the net, but I would prefer to listen to the first time through on my home stereo.

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

SIU LAW wrote:
StillBleedingBlue wrote:Metallica - Death Magnetic

I am going to pick up this weekend.

I hated the first song I heard (the single), but I heard parts of a couple of the other songs and it has my interest up. From what I heard, there is some definite nods to the Justice album.

I could have listen to the whole album by now on the net, but I would prefer to listen to the first time through on my home stereo.
Then you'll be able to hear Lars' noisy drum kit in all its putrid glory, and still won't be able to hear Trujilio, as they gave him the Newstead treatment on the mix for this album.

rebelmusic
All-Star
All-Star

Post by rebelmusic »

I've been listening to an album called Animals by a band which calls themselves Pink Floyd. Y'all should check it out.
Proud LGB Sponsor of my junk!

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

I watched Headbangers Ball this weekend. They interviewed Metallica about their new album and video. Hetfield made the comment that Trujilio has already contributed more on this album than Newstead did in 14 years.

:roll:

It's hard to like Metallica. Watching "Some Kind of Monster" didn't help.
Last edited by ksbluesfan on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

rebelmusic wrote:I've been listening to an album called Animals by a band which calls themselves Pink Floyd. Y'all should check it out.
I hate you elitists and your super obscure music.

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

the knob
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by the knob »

SIU LAW wrote: I am going to pick up this weekend.

Let me know what you think. I picked it up Saturday and have only been able to give it one listen thus far. I liked most of the stuff they released early on the web, but there are some filler tracks (wasn't crazy about the first two tracks on the CD), something that has been true since the Black Album at least.

It's not quite as Justicey as you might think, certainly not as much of the "sideways stuff" as Lars has called it in the past, but it's better than the last three albums by far.

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

the knob wrote:
SIU LAW wrote: I am going to pick up this weekend.

Let me know what you think. I picked it up Saturday and have only been able to give it one listen thus far. I liked most of the stuff they released early on the web, but there are some filler tracks (wasn't crazy about the first two tracks on the CD), something that has been true since the Black Album at least.

It's not quite as Justicey as you might think, certainly not as much of the "sideways stuff" as Lars has called it in the past, but it's better than the last three albums by far.
I actually liked Load as an album, and had Metallica packaged Load and Reload on one CD, taking out the filler tracks, that'd be a great album. This album has a few songs that have grown on me, namely The Judas Kiss, the first half of The Day That Never Comes, and, surprisingly enough, The Unforgiven 3. I don't know what parts of 'Justice...' they were trying to channel with this album, but they missed the mark completely. AJFA is my favorite Metallica album by far, and I cannot find any of the features on this album that resemble that masterwork, besides the total lack of bass presence in the mix.

And as far as Hetfield's quote about Trujilio already contributing more than Newstead did, James is an ass for saying that. Newstead was arguably a better bassist than Cliff Burton, who is held in such high regard by most fans that such a statement would be considered blasphemy, but Metallica treated him like shit because he was the one to replace Cliff. Ks is absolutely right, it is hard to like Metallica, because they present themselves as pompous children.

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

Today's additions:

Classical
Shostakovich - Opus 67: Piano Trio No. 2 in E minor
Shostakovich - Opus 57: Piano Quintet in G minor

Jazz
The Bill Evans Trio - Moon Beams
The Bill Evans Trio - Portraits In Jazz

Metal
Judas Iscariot - The Cold Earth Slept Below
Martyr - Warp Zone
I Shalt Become - Wanderings

Music from a communist, a junkie and a nihilist.

the knob
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by the knob »

StillBleedingBlue wrote:I actually liked Load as an album, and had Metallica packaged Load and Reload on one CD, taking out the filler tracks, that'd be a great album. This album has a few songs that have grown on me, namely The Judas Kiss, the first half of The Day That Never Comes, and, surprisingly enough, The Unforgiven 3. I don't know what parts of 'Justice...' they were trying to channel with this album, but they missed the mark completely. AJFA is my favorite Metallica album by far, and I cannot find any of the features on this album that resemble that masterwork, besides the total lack of bass presence in the mix.
Yep, I agree about the Load/Reload packaging. Too many filler songs between the two albums, but one with the "good stuff" would have rocked much more better.

I saw a video of Hetfield and Trujillo talking about some of the new tracks and I think something Hetfield said about My Apocalypse is pretty spot on, that it was the perfect song for the end of the album, like a Damage Inc. or Dyers Eve. I think that's about the only Justice-type relation I can see with the new CD, along with the longer length of songs (I think they all clock in over seven minutes in length).

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

OK, I now own Death Magnetic too, my first new CD purchase in months probably. Listened to it some last night and on the way to work this morning. I think my favorite song so far is Suicide & Redemption. Lots of good guitar soloing and Lars lays off the snare for a while. The rest of the songs strike me as good but not great. They are just too overwrought and messy, I think, like the band was trying too hard to write songs that A) have lots of tempo/time signature changes, B) have lots and lots of riffs, even if they don't really go well together, and C) are at least 7 minutes long. There are good ideas in there, but the song structure could've been better/simpler.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

Metallica would have gone down as the greatest metal band of all time if James would have killed himself after the Black Album. Now, they're damned if they do, damned if they don't. The best they can hope for is to create something that will get a lot of radio play on stations like K-SHE and build a fanbase out of the metalcore kids.

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

In fairness.. Lars should be dead just as much as Hetfield.