Additions to your music collection

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Re: Additions to you music collection

Post by StillBleedingBlue »

ksbluesfan wrote:
StillBleedingBlue wrote:Negura Bunget - "Om"
Nyktalgia - "Peisithanatos"
Wrath of the Weak - "Alogon"
How do you like "Om"?

I have 75 more songs to download this month. Yeah! I need to clean up my computer before I fill the hard drive though.
The first track is kind of the epitome of mediocre stereotypical ambient black metal, but after that, the album is excellent. I don't know if I'd give it as high of a rating as the folks at metal-archives did since they seem to have quite a stiffy for it, but I'd give it about a 90-95 at most. I recommend it if you're into that type of black metal.

If you like that kind of black metal, I'd recommend Drudkh, Falls of Rauros, Gris, and Deathspall Omega.

Albums I bought this weekend:

Warning - Watching from A Distance
Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone
Dire Straits - Dire Straits
Parabstruse - Old Sentimental
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote: Habeus Corpus is for suckaz!

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

[1977 Greatest Hits package]

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

LoPro- Sunday

That is all. :mrgreen:
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

StillBleedingBlue wrote:
ksbluesfan wrote:
How do you like "Om"?

I have 75 more songs to download this month. Yeah! I need to clean up my computer before I fill the hard drive though.
The first track is kind of the epitome of mediocre stereotypical ambient black metal, but after that, the album is excellent. I don't know if I'd give it as high of a rating as the folks at metal-archives did since they seem to have quite a stiffy for it, but I'd give it about a 90-95 at most. I recommend it if you're into that type of black metal.

If you like that kind of black metal, I'd recommend Drudkh, Falls of Rauros, Gris, and Deathspall Omega.

Cel din Urmă Vis, the 9th track on Om, is one of my favorite black metal songs.

Thanks for the suggestions. I avoided Deathspell Omega because it's a stupid sounding name, but I might give them a try. Unfortunately, none of your black metal suggestions are on eMusic. I've been dying to get some Les Légions Noire releases, but I haven't found a place to download their stuff legally. Mütiilation's myspace page has one song, but that's not enough.

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

ksbluesfan wrote:
StillBleedingBlue wrote:
ksbluesfan wrote:
How do you like "Om"?

Cel din Urmă Vis, the 9th track on Om, is one of my favorite black metal songs.

Thanks for the suggestions. I avoided Deathspell Omega because it's a stupid sounding name, but I might give them a try. Unfortunately, none of your black metal suggestions are on eMusic. I've been dying to get some Les Légions Noire releases, but I haven't found a place to download their stuff legally. Mütiilation's myspace page has one song, but that's not enough.
The worst part about being a metal enthusiast is that it becomes increasingly more impossible to find albums that you really want after a number of years. I had heard two Drudkh songs a few years ago, and I knew I had to have their album. It took a damned witch hunt on my part just to track down one CD by them, much less the rest of their catalogue. Now Hear This in Kirkwood has been a pretty good aid in finding metal CD's, as I think I spent about 3,000 dollars there last summer, given that I had nothing to spend money on but CD's since I worked 50 hours a week. Recently though I've been using the power of the internet to find distros that somehow have bands like DSO, Nyktalgia, Falls of Rauros, etc. It's not cheap though, that's for sure.

Krigloch the Furious
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Krigloch the Furious »

Drudkh are pure tits!

I got these today.
Immolation - Dawn of Possession
Tyr - Land
Dismember - Indecent and Obscene
Dismember - The God That Never Was

edit: good distros
http://www.theendrecords.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.redstream.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.darksymphonies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.blackplaguerecords.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.arsmagnarecordings.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Received today:

Augury - "Concealed"

After a preliminary listen of this album, I can say, without a doubt, that anyone who listens to Cynic, late-period Death, Atheist, or Pestilence needs to listen to this album. This album is intelligent, compositionally-minded, musically-stellar extreme metal. Almost as good as Martyr's "Warp Zone", Atheist's "Elements", or even Gorguts' "Obscura".

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

Cool. eMusic has Tyr and Martyr.

the knob
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by the knob »

ksbluesfan wrote:Cool. eMusic has Tyr and Martyr.
Sounds like a couple of the Herculoids to me.

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

Tonight's additions:

Baroness - Red Album
Burzum - Det Som Engang Var
Arsis - We Are The Nightmare
Sacramentum - The Coming Chaos
Ulver - The Mardrigal Of Night

I still have 30 more songs to download this month.

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Additions to your music collection

Post by ksbluesfan »

It's amazing how quickly I can download 30 songs.

Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium
Pentagram - Relentless
Pentagram - Be Forewarned

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

ksbluesfan wrote: Burzum - Det Som Engang Var
An essential black metal album. That album, and Hvis Lyset Tar Oss. Besides those two albums, Burzum sucks hard.

I've pretty much just been listening to black metal as of late, though I stopped and listened to a Psycroptic album today since their new single is out (which is very promising), and here are a couple of bands you should check out. Maybe not all hits, but there is some quality stuff to be found here:

Woe
Be Persecuted
Gris
Abyssos
Clad In Darkness

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

Thanks for the suggestions.

I love Burzum. I haven't heard the crap MIDI files he released as an album while in prison, but I love Filosofem. The songs "Burzum" and "Jesus' Tod" are two of my favorite black metal songs. I could live without the excruiatingly long ambient tracks.

The reason I like Burzum so much is because Varg doesn't try to sound like anybody else. When he released these albums, nobody sounded like this. Since then, black metal has turned into a million clones of Darkthrone and Mayhem. I'm glad bands like Negura Bunget are pushing into new territory, heavier on the atmosphere and with less emphasis in sounding evil. It's too easy to scream your way to evil. It's a lot harder to pull the evil out of the music.

I picked up Baroness on a whim. I was browsing the list of Relapse artists and like what I heard from a few samples. They're somewhere between Isis and Mastodon. For all I know, they might be huge in the hipster scene (whatever that means). They aren't aggressive enough, and don't build to a climax the way Isis does, but they're pretty good. If Pelican had Dave Grohl doing death vocals as a singer, this might be what it would sound like. Maybe if Dave Grohl and Burton C. Bell from Fear Factory had a son, this is what he would sound like.

I don't have a lot of doom in my collection, unless you consider Black Sabbath to be doom. I figured I would try a couple of bands that are considered to be giants in the doom genre -- Pentagram and Cathedral. I haven't listened to it yet, but I like what I heard from the samples.

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

ksbluesfan wrote:Thanks for the suggestions.

I love Burzum. I haven't heard the crap MIDI files he released as an album while in prison, but I love Filosofem. The songs "Burzum" and "Jesus' Tod" are two of my favorite black metal songs. I could live without the excruiatingly long ambient tracks.

The reason I like Burzum so much is because Varg doesn't try to sound like anybody else. When he released these albums, nobody sounded like this. Since then, black metal has turned into a million clones of Darkthrone and Mayhem. I'm glad bands like Negura Bunget are pushing into new territory, heavier on the atmosphere and with less emphasis in sounding evil. It's too easy to scream your way to evil. It's a lot harder to pull the evil out of the music.
Burzum does have a very original sound, and I love DSEV and HLTO because of it. I'm not as sold on Filosofem, and the last two he put out, Daudi Baldrs and Hliðskjálf (first two Burzum albums I ever bought...) are downright awful. The music in them is not bad, its just so damned boring that one can't stand to listen to it, and this is coming from someone who loves ambient metal.
ksbluesfan wrote:I picked up Baroness on a whim. I was browsing the list of Relapse artists and like what I heard from a few samples. They're somewhere between Isis and Mastodon. For all I know, they might be huge in the hipster scene (whatever that means). They aren't aggressive enough, and don't build to a climax the way Isis does, but they're pretty good. If Pelican had Dave Grohl doing death vocals as a singer, this might be what it would sound like. Maybe if Dave Grohl and Burton C. Bell from Fear Factory had a son, this is what he would sound like.
Isn't Baroness playing the show with High on Fire and Opeth? A friend of mine told me they were pretty good. But, just like the black metal talent pool has been diluted by copycat bands, as has the ambient sludge/post-metal (or whatever the hell it's called) scene, with a pissload of bands simply copying the Isis formula. There are some quality bands that have followed in their footsteps (i.e. Mouth of the Architect, who are going to be in town on September 5 with Behold... The Arctopus), or in the case of bands like Callisto, surpassed them.

Also, the "hipster" scene is getting big on that genre, as well as raw black metal, for some reason. I was reading on the M-A forums a few weeks back and they were discussing it. I guess its trendy for them, in an ironic way. Just so long as they don't try to dilute the talent pool further with pretentious, lackluster "artsy" efforts.
ksbluesfan wrote:I don't have a lot of doom in my collection, unless you consider Black Sabbath to be doom. I figured I would try a couple of bands that are considered to be giants in the doom genre -- Pentagram and Cathedral. I haven't listened to it yet, but I like what I heard from the samples.
I got big time into doom about a year and a half ago, most especially the doom-death part of the genre. As far as doom bands go, check out Candlemass, and the album "Watching from a Distance" by Warning. It may be the best standard doom album ever. In regards to doom-death, there are a lot of quality bands, most especially Anathema (Silent Enigma is a great album by them), Amorphis, early Paradise Lost, or Swallow the Sun.

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

I listened to some Candlemass samples. I'm not a big fan of that operatic style of vocals. That's what ruined Iron Maiden for me. I know -- blasphemy. For my taste, there are only 2 singers who can pull off that style -- Rob Halford and Dio.

Don't get me wrong about Maiden. Their first 3 albums are some of the best metal albums of all time. By Piece of Mind I was growing weary of Bruce's style. Powerslave was the last time I paid any attention to Maiden.

I have The Karellan Isthmus by Amorphis, but I'll have to check out the other death doom bands. As always, I appreciate your suggestions.

Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Nyghtewynd »

TIME FOR HAPPY-FUN CHEERY ALBUMS!

Spyro Gyra--Stories Without Words
Bubba Sparxxx--Deliverance
Stone Temple Pilots--STP
Chant--Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo de Silos
Up--REM
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.
Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Nyghtewynd wrote:TIME FOR HAPPY-FUN CHEERY ALBUMS!

Spyro Gyra--Stories Without Words
Bubba Sparxxx--Deliverance
Stone Temple Pilots--STP
Chant--Benedictine Monks of Santo Domingo de Silos
Up--REM
STP has a self-titled? Or are you talking about Purple?

STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by STL JA »

I just heard on the radio that Ozzy recently inked a deal with Sony for three more albums. Shoot me now.

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

STL JA wrote:I just heard on the radio that Ozzy recently inked a deal with Sony for three more albums. Shoot me now.
"I don't wanna stop!"

New additions to my music collection...hmmm...still nothing lately unless you count the mix CD a friend gave me with a couple Rammstein tunes. I've been dusting off CDs that I haven't listened to in a while (U2 - Pop) or didn't realize I had (a burned copy of A Perfect Circle that a friend gave us).
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by SIU LAW »

I am a big APC fan. I saw them played the entire first album when they opened up for NIN in 2001.

I like a large majority of U2's Pop as well. I know that album is put down by alot of general music fans, U2 fans, and I think U2 themselves. But I always dug that album, and loved all those guitar textures that The Edge was playing with during that time. U2 try to pretend that era and those sonics never existed. On one of their greatest hit albums, they put on remanufactured versions of the included Pop tracks, removing the electronic feel and guitar noises, and made them sound like strip down versions in the vein of more recent U2 efforts. I was pretty mad at the revisionist history and a bit insulted. The Edge’s noisy and weird work guitar on Achtung Baby, Pop, and Zooropa, is a pretty big influence on my own playing I would say. Bitches.
Last edited by SIU LAW on Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.