Series Thread: Cards @ Reds

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Series Thread: Cards @ Reds

Postby stinkdified » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:11 pm

Aug 15, 2008 STL (Thompson) @ CIN (Arroyo) 6:10 PM CT
Aug 16, 2008 STL (Pineiro) @ CIN (Harang) 6:10 PM CT
Aug 17, 2008 STL (Lohse) @ CIN (Volquez) 12:15 PM CT

lets stomp these mofos. they are in last place with a record of 54 and 68
UN-official LGB Sponser of Alex Pietrangelo, damn it.
Image
User avatar
stinkdified
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:22 pm
Location: SoCo!

Re: Series Thread: Cards @ Reds

Postby stlmark » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:09 pm

We really needed this win because the next 2 Reds starters are studs. Going to be tough to win those.
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka
User avatar
stlmark
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:12 am
Location: over there ---->

Re: Series Thread: Cards @ Reds

Postby cprice12 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:43 am

stlmark wrote:We really needed this win because the next 2 Reds starters are studs. Going to be tough to win those.


Harang is a stud?
- He's 3-12 with an ERA of 5.17.
- He's given up 27 runs in his last 26 innings.
- He has an ERA of 18.00 this month, 12.46 in July, 6.00 in June, 4.98 in May...he's just getting worse and worse as the season goes on.
- We've already beaten him once this year.
- He's not a lefty.

I know Peniero is kind of up and down...but he's won his last two starts and is coming off of a very good outing vs. Florida.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we win this game.

Now, Sundays' game vs. Volquez...now that's a different story. He's a stud....even though his ERA has steadily risen over the past two months.
In Volquez's first 13 games, he hadn't allowed more than two earned runs in a game. But since then, he's allowed three or more runs seven times in his last 12 starts and he's allowed five runs three times. He's still pitching really well, but he's not unhittable like he was the first half of the season.

I'm more concerned with Lohse, who hasn't been that great lately.
Image
Image
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19438
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Series Thread: Cards @ Reds

Postby stlmark » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:52 am

cprice12 wrote:
stlmark wrote:We really needed this win because the next 2 Reds starters are studs. Going to be tough to win those.


Harang is a stud?
- He's 3-12 with an ERA of 5.17.
- He's given up 27 runs in his last 26 innings.
- He has an ERA of 18.00 this month, 12.46 in July, 6.00 in June, 4.98 in May...he's just getting worse and worse as the season goes on.
- We've already beaten him once this year.
- He's not a lefty.

I know Peniero is kind of up and down...but he's won his last two starts and is coming off of a very good outing vs. Florida.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we win this game.

Now, Sundays' game vs. Volquez...now that's a different story. He's a stud....even though his ERA has steadily risen over the past two months.
In Volquez's first 13 games, he hadn't allowed more than two earned runs in a game. But since then, he's allowed three or more runs seven times in his last 12 starts and he's allowed five runs three times. He's still pitching really well, but he's not unhittable like he was the first half of the season.

I'm more concerned with Lohse, who hasn't been that great lately.


I realize Harang hasn't been good this year, mainly since he came off the DL, but he has been a stud for a few years.
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka
User avatar
stlmark
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:12 am
Location: over there ---->

Re: Series Thread: Cards @ Reds

Postby roddick » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:48 pm

hopefully joel can go deep into the game today.
Image
User avatar
roddick
Prospect
Prospect
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:11 am

Re: Series Thread: Cards @ Reds

Postby stlmark » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:34 am

Good win by the Cards today. Pineiro goes 6 innings and the Cards are 60-13 when getting 10 or more hits.
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka
User avatar
stlmark
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:12 am
Location: over there ---->

Re: Series Thread: Cards @ Reds

Postby cprice12 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:48 am

Let's put the "Harang is a stud" comments to bed.

He sucks.

:wink:
Image
Image
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19438
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Series Thread: Cards @ Reds

Postby cprice12 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:17 pm

I don't think we resign Lohse unless it's on the cheap.
He has really fallen off the last handful of starts. He's been bad lately and he could have been better today, at least what I saw anyway.
Cardinals look smart right now for waiting on resigning him.
Image
Image
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19438
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Series Thread: Cards @ Reds

Postby roddick » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:54 pm

yeah i think the cards lost their chance to resign lohse. he's not been too sharp as of late, so i won't feel too bad if he is let go.
Image
User avatar
roddick
Prospect
Prospect
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:11 am

Re: Series Thread: Cards @ Reds

Postby OS » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:45 pm

Wainright, Carpenter, Wellemeyer and Piniero are all going to be in the rotation next year, so there is only one open spot to fill. And they have about $30M to spend to few relatively few holes, so I think they're goin to make a run at someone better than Lohse.
Image
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
User avatar
OS
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 27094
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:25 am
Location: Section 301

Re: Series Thread: Cards @ Reds

Postby stlmark » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:32 am

OS wrote:Wainright, Carpenter, Wellemeyer and Piniero are all going to be in the rotation next year, so there is only one open spot to fill. And they have about $30M to spend to few relatively few holes, so I think they're goin to make a run at someone better than Lohse.


Probably Burnett if he ops out of his contract.
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka
User avatar
stlmark
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:12 am
Location: over there ---->

Re: Series Thread: Cards @ Reds

Postby tsblue » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:50 am

OS wrote:Wainright, Carpenter, Wellemeyer and Piniero are all going to be in the rotation next year, so there is only one open spot to fill. And they have about $30M to spend to few relatively few holes, so I think they're goin to make a run at someone better than Lohse.


I will take a reliever or two and a bat at SS first. Add in those this year and the team is challenging the Cubs without Wainwright or Carpenter. Lohse will be an overpriced Boras bomb...we have seen this play before.
User avatar
tsblue
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
 
Posts: 3013
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:55 am
Location: the shoe

Re: Series Thread: Cards @ Reds

Postby dmiles2186 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:23 pm

stlmark wrote:
OS wrote:Wainright, Carpenter, Wellemeyer and Piniero are all going to be in the rotation next year, so there is only one open spot to fill. And they have about $30M to spend to few relatively few holes, so I think they're goin to make a run at someone better than Lohse.


Probably Burnett if he ops out of his contract.


God, I hope not. Not that injury prone, inconsistent bastard.
Image

Official 2013-2014 Sponsor Extraordinaire of Alex "Petro" Pietrangelo
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5781
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: Series Thread: Cards @ Reds

Postby stlmark » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:22 pm

dmiles2186 wrote:
stlmark wrote:
OS wrote:Wainright, Carpenter, Wellemeyer and Piniero are all going to be in the rotation next year, so there is only one open spot to fill. And they have about $30M to spend to few relatively few holes, so I think they're goin to make a run at someone better than Lohse.


Probably Burnett if he ops out of his contract.


God, I hope not. Not that injury prone, inconsistent bastard.


I'd take him, but it depends on what he's asking for.
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka
User avatar
stlmark
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:12 am
Location: over there ---->

Re: Series Thread: Cards @ Reds

Postby cprice12 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:09 am

stlmark wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote:
stlmark wrote:
OS wrote:Wainright, Carpenter, Wellemeyer and Piniero are all going to be in the rotation next year, so there is only one open spot to fill. And they have about $30M to spend to few relatively few holes, so I think they're goin to make a run at someone better than Lohse.


Probably Burnett if he ops out of his contract.


God, I hope not. Not that injury prone, inconsistent bastard.


I'd take him, but it depends on what he's asking for.


I don't want him. He's sooo injury prone, his career numbers are only so-so, and he'll demand way more money than he is worth.
The most games he had ever won in a season before this year, was 12. And he's only played a full season and started more than 30 games twice in his 10 year career. It seems like he's hurt every year. It's bad enough Carpenter seems to be injury prone...we don't need two guys on the staff going down each year with injuries.

That, and Kevin Slaten likes the guy...so that's all the more reason to not want him.
Image
Image
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19438
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Series Thread: Cards @ Reds

Postby dmiles2186 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:59 pm

Yeah, I mean, the guy was a .500 pitcher...and he got a 55 million dollar deal! That is insane. He's never shown consistency. If it was a deal like we got with Lohse this year, then by all means, sign him. But not a deal that will be looked back on 6 months in as a mistake, like Burnett could potentially be.
Image

Official 2013-2014 Sponsor Extraordinaire of Alex "Petro" Pietrangelo
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5781
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach


Return to Everything Else [OT]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests