Google Chrome

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Google Chrome

Postby cprice12 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:58 pm

New browser from Google.
Beta version now available for download.
http://www.google.com/chrome

Seems pretty cool at first glance...although it is ugly as sin. Gotta download some skins when they become available.
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19537
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Google Chrome

Postby cprice12 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:07 am

There is an "Incognito" feature, where you can open up a new window and browse in incognito mode, and there will be no record on that computer of sites visited.

Pretty cool, if it works.

However, they do mention:

You've gone incognito. Pages you view in this window won't appear in your browser history or search history, and they won't leave other traces, like cookies, on your computer after you close the incognito window. Any files you download or bookmarks you create will be preserved, however.

Going incognito doesn't affect the behavior of other people, servers, or software. Be wary of:
- Websites that collect or share information about you
- Internet service providers or employers that track the pages you visit
- Malicious software that tracks your keystrokes in exchange for free smileys
- Surveillance by secret agents
- People standing behind you

:lol:
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19537
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Google Chrome

Postby OS » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:07 am

I like it quite a bit, but can't use it full time because I have to have Firebug. Though, Chrome does have something similar to Firebug, but it's not quite as robust. The best feature in Chrome is that you can turn any website into an application. So now I have Gmail as a shortcut in my quick-launch bar that opens up inside it's own application window instead of my browser. Click the little paper icon to the right of the address bar and click 'Create application shortcuts' to test it out.
Image
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
User avatar
OS
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 27094
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:25 am
Location: Section 301

Re: Google Chrome

Postby stinkdified » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:24 pm

dude, this shit is tight!!! i just d/led it and im using it, after about 10 min of playin with it, i am very impressed. yet to find all the quirks that will piss me off yet, so we will see...one of them seems to be the scrolling isn't quite as smooth...
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo
Image
User avatar
stinkdified
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:22 pm
Location: SoCo!

Re: Google Chrome

Postby Portland Blues » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:44 pm

I'll pass until they clean up this part of the license:

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.
User avatar
Portland Blues
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 3019
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:38 pm
Location: Portland Orygun

Re: Google Chrome

Postby marco » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:07 pm

I like it. It also has a spell checker feature that has never existed on this forum... or basically any forum I have ever visited. Spell som e stuff wrong and I get da red skwigglies! SHWEET!

One of things I like about it (besides the speed) is its simplicity. I like the fact it is so basic. Less clutter equals more viewing space.

License be damned, I'm gonna try it out for a while.
Image
User avatar
marco
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7150
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:40 am
Location: behind enemy lines

Re: Google Chrome

Postby abc789987 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:45 pm

Portland Blues wrote:I'll pass until they clean up this part of the license:

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

Well they seem to be editing the EULA.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 ... ge-it.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...
abc789987
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1798
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:00 pm
Location: Indiana?

Re: Google Chrome

Postby stinkdified » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:27 pm

dude, this is kinda pissing me off...i dont really have an option to type and search a specific website quickly. like, i could type 'ebay blues sweater' into the search bar of chrome, but in IE you just have to click a button...this is what my IE browser looks like, im sure i didn't have the most search providers of anyone, but i have a good amount and find that part really convenient. this spell check feature is pretty sweet though
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (44.43 KiB) Viewed 616 times
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo
Image
User avatar
stinkdified
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:22 pm
Location: SoCo!

Re: Google Chrome

Postby stinkdified » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:31 pm

the zoom is kinda pissing me off too...like, the IE zoom tool zooms the whole page including pictures and shit (not some flash stuff, though) but the one in chrome is only a text zoom tool. i run at 1920x1200, so i can't always see shit on web pages...
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo
Image
User avatar
stinkdified
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:22 pm
Location: SoCo!

Re: Google Chrome

Postby SteveO » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:50 pm

marco wrote:I like it. It also has a spell checker feature that has never existed on this forum... or basically any forum I have ever visited. Spell som e stuff wrong and I get da red skwigglies! SHWEET!

One of things I like about it (besides the speed) is its simplicity. I like the fact it is so basic. Less clutter equals more viewing space.

License be damned, I'm gonna try it out for a while.


You don't use Firefox's spell checker??
User avatar
SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
 
Posts: 5481
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:08 am
Location: Lockout Hell

Re: Google Chrome

Postby stinkdified » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:36 am

stinkdified wrote:the zoom is kinda pissing me off too...like, the IE zoom tool zooms the whole page including pictures and shit (not some flash stuff, though) but the one in chrome is only a text zoom tool. i run at 1920x1200, so i can't always see shit on web pages...

yea, besides the seamless browsing (read: fast as shit) and beautiful control of tabs and general control of what is the mayhem that is associated with browsing the shiternet, the zoom feature is beginning to anger me. otherwise, beautiful
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo
Image
User avatar
stinkdified
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:22 pm
Location: SoCo!

Re: Google Chrome

Postby marco » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:59 am

Prngr44 wrote:
marco wrote:I like it. It also has a spell checker feature that has never existed on this forum... or basically any forum I have ever visited. Spell som e stuff wrong and I get da red skwigglies! SHWEET!

One of things I like about it (besides the speed) is its simplicity. I like the fact it is so basic. Less clutter equals more viewing space.

License be damned, I'm gonna try it out for a while.


You don't use Firefox's spell checker??

Didn't know they had one. I'll look harder next time.
Image
User avatar
marco
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7150
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:40 am
Location: behind enemy lines

Re: Google Chrome

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:21 pm

So far, so good.

It's simple and not obtrusive. It reminds me of the experience that comes with using Safari on a Mac. The closest thing I've had to that on Windows was IE7, but I already like Chrome much more.
I can't pronounce Carlo Colaiacovo's name, but I sure can be the OFFICIAL LGB SPONSOR OF CARLO COLAIACOVO!!
User avatar
Mark
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 4027
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:10 am
Location: South County

Re: Google Chrome

Postby stinkdified » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:34 pm

2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo
Image
User avatar
stinkdified
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:22 pm
Location: SoCo!


Return to Everything Else [OT]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests