Dish vs Directv

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Dish vs Directv

Post by northwest dave »

Need some help.

Which is the better value for HD channels with Hockey (ie VS) and local HD channels.

I've been a Directv subscriber since '98, mainly for Center Ice. I just got a HDTV and want to upgrade to HD (with a DVR). It seems that Directv boxes you in with their choices. To get VS in HD, you need the Total-Choice-Plus for $72.99, which seems a little much. Plus, I don't see local channels in HD.

It seems DISH might have an advantage with their Turbo-HD, but I don't know much about it.

Anyone have any thoughts on the comparison? What do you all have?

Thanks---

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: Dish vs Directv

Post by OS »

I might be different in your market, but I get the St. Louis locals in HD through DirecTV. I'm paying the 72 per month mostly because I'm lazy and dont want to learn new channels.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

OS wrote:I might be different in your market, but I get the St. Louis locals in HD through DirecTV. I'm paying the 72 per month mostly because I'm lazy and dont want to learn new channels.
sounds like a rough life. i'm sorry george bush has made things so difficult for you.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

tsblue
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by tsblue »

northwest dave wrote:Need some help.

Which is the better value for HD channels with Hockey (ie VS) and local HD channels.

I've been a Directv subscriber since '98, mainly for Center Ice. I just got a HDTV and want to upgrade to HD (with a DVR). It seems that Directv boxes you in with their choices. To get VS in HD, you need the Total-Choice-Plus for $72.99, which seems a little much. Plus, I don't see local channels in HD.

It seems DISH might have an advantage with their Turbo-HD, but I don't know much about it.

Anyone have any thoughts on the comparison? What do you all have?

Thanks---
I got Dish a month or so ago and love it. 150 HD channels (compressed, I know) and the DVR is sweet. I can't believe I stuck with Charter so long.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

goon attack wrote:
OS wrote:I might be different in your market, but I get the St. Louis locals in HD through DirecTV. I'm paying the 72 per month mostly because I'm lazy and dont want to learn new channels.
sounds like a rough life. i'm sorry george bush has made things so difficult for you.
When exactly did I say things were rough for me because of George Bush?
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Did I misdiagnose your Bush Derangement Syndrome?

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

I got directv last month, but didn't spring for the HD box or the monthly HD access.. I may do that next year (my package is 35 though plus center ice at 39/month for 4 months). I don't think not getting HD on local channels is a big deal if that is true. Least on my tv i just grab the TV remote and hit channel up and i'm watching local channels in HD.

In fact last week me and my roommate were watching the VP debate and I suddenly realized I was watching it on satellite instead of in HD so I hit channel up without my roommate noticing and she flips out and yells "holy crap! he just got a lot older!".. It was amusing.

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

Philo
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Philo »

goon attack wrote:

Another lame-ass comment by the fluttering vagina known as Goon Attack. :doh:
"Philo can stalk with impunity"Goon Attack

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Philo wrote:
goon attack wrote:

Personal attacks are not allowed here.

barnburner
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by barnburner »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:I got directv last month, but didn't spring for the HD box or the monthly HD access.. I may do that next year (my package is 35 though plus center ice at 39/month for 4 months). I don't think not getting HD on local channels is a big deal if that is true. Least on my tv i just grab the TV remote and hit channel up and i'm watching local channels in HD.

In fact last week me and my roommate were watching the VP debate and I suddenly realized I was watching it on satellite instead of in HD so I hit channel up without my roommate noticing and she flips out and yells "holy crap! he just got a lot older!".. It was amusing.

"A LOT older"?? Jesus.... that would put him up with Moses or Noah.

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

I've had both and HANDS DOWN, DirecTV is better.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Mellanby_equals_grit »

barnburner wrote:
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:I got directv last month, but didn't spring for the HD box or the monthly HD access.. I may do that next year (my package is 35 though plus center ice at 39/month for 4 months). I don't think not getting HD on local channels is a big deal if that is true. Least on my tv i just grab the TV remote and hit channel up and i'm watching local channels in HD.

"A LOT older"?? Jesus.... that would put him up with Moses or Noah.
You realize I was talking about Joe Biden not John Mccain right?

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

I still have rabbit ears and I thought I was pretty pimpin. Screw all you guys.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

goon attack wrote:
Philo wrote:
goon attack wrote:

Personal attacks are not allowed here.
I'm going to let is slide because you aren't supposed to be talking politics outside of the political forum anyway.

Quit dragging that crap into other forums.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

cprice12 wrote: I'm going to let is slide
naturally. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by northwest dave »

Are the games via center ice in HD?

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

goon attack wrote:
cprice12 wrote: I'm going to let is slide
naturally. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Quit bringing politics into other forums, and maybe I'll listen to your side.
Until then, you're just asking to get attacked.
It's not rocket surgery there mensa.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Okay, so let me get this straight....personal attacks are okay if somebody brings up anything off topic in a forum, or just politics in a forum other than the politics forum?

You should be a lawyer.

Furthermore, I see why you like Obama so much. You're as much as a shyster as he is.

Steve Levy Sucks
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Steve Levy Sucks »

goon attack wrote:Okay, so let me get this straight....personal attacks are okay if somebody brings up anything off topic in a forum, or just politics in a forum other than the politics forum?

You should be a lawyer.

Furthermore, I see why you like Obama so much. You're as much as a shyster as he is.
:lol:

tomcat16
All-Star
All-Star

Post by tomcat16 »

When I upgraded to HD last February it turned out that DirecTV was better for me, NHL Network, VS in HD as well as the kids channels I need for my boys. Also, Dish doesn't have Sunday Ticket.