Mac Moron

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Mac Moron

Postby cprice12 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:40 pm

http://digg.com/d1pCl9

I can't stand this type of Mac user.
If you like Macs and want to sell someone else on them, fine, but don't f'ing toss out a dozen lies to trick them into buying a Mac....and on CNBC no less. :shock:
Image
Image
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19443
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Mac Moron

Postby Nyghtewynd » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:39 am

They force me to use a Mac to teach since we're a "Mac Campus", and I despise it. It's like sticking training wheels on a computer.
dhabums wrote:You and your buddies here are a joke and most of this site knows it.


Sponsor of Having A Real Good Time, Happy Pony, and all those who suffer from being right all the time.
User avatar
Nyghtewynd
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
 
Posts: 4500
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:41 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Mac Moron

Postby cprice12 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:03 pm

Nyghtewynd wrote:They force me to use a Mac to teach since we're a "Mac Campus", and I despise it. It's like sticking training wheels on a computer.


I don't care if people like Macs. They are very well built machines and if it does everything you want it to do and you don't mind paying more money, then that's cool...and let's be honest, they look sharp. I just hate the type of Mac user that this guy is. Lying to the public on CNBC to talk up Macs? Is the inferiority complex that great amongst Apple fans that they have to stoop to lying on nationwide television?

Photoshop, for FREE??? :lol:
Stupid.

FWIW, for what I do, a Mac doesn't cut it. I need the versatility, compatibility & affordability of a PC.

In addition to my desktop PC at work, I have a MacBook Pro that my work gave me...and I run Windows on it. :lol:
Boot camp is very nice and all...but it isn't a perfect environment to run Windows. It's much better than virtual box or whatever, but I'd rather have a PC laptop...but this will do I guess.
Image
Image
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19443
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Mac Moron

Postby section319 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:20 pm

I have a hp laptop and my girlfriend has a mac. I like the macbook pro for the battery life and what not, but I am not a fan of the OS. If I could get a macbook pro with windows, that'd be kickass.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.
User avatar
section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 2634
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:20 am
Location: Mizzou

Re: Mac Moron

Postby kodos » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:31 pm

section319 wrote:If I could get a macbook pro with windows, that'd be kickass.


You can.

People like whatever OS they are used to. Both are fine for pretty much whatever you want to do. It all comes down to preference.

There are plenty of super irritating people on both sides of the fence.

I wonder what OS thinks about all of this?
Image
User avatar
kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 11893
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:05 pm

Re: Mac Moron

Postby stlbluz » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:49 pm

kodos wrote:
section319 wrote:. . .I am not a fan of the OS.


I wonder what OS thinks about all of this?
Image
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald
User avatar
stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White
 
Posts: 7331
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:11 pm
Location: Edge of my seat

Re: Mac Moron

Postby SIU LAW » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:54 pm

My 2 month old Macbook Pro is awesome.

It's teh sex.

Love it, love it, love it.
User avatar
SIU LAW
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 8683
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 8:26 am
Location: Hockey God Party Room

Re: Mac Moron

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:30 pm

Jim Goldman is an uninformed (Frank). That's all I got on this.
I can't pronounce Carlo Colaiacovo's name, but I sure can be the OFFICIAL LGB SPONSOR OF CARLO COLAIACOVO!!
User avatar
Mark
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 4027
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:10 am
Location: South County

Re: Mac Moron

Postby cprice12 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:03 pm

section319 wrote:I have a hp laptop and my girlfriend has a mac. I like the macbook pro for the battery life and what not, but I am not a fan of the OS. If I could get a macbook pro with windows, that'd be kickass.


You can. That's exactly what I have through work....Windows on a MacBook Pro.
I use boot camp to boot between either OSX or Windows XP SP3.
Works quite well.
Image
Image
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19443
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Mac Moron

Postby rbochan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:01 am

cprice12 wrote:
section319 wrote:I have a hp laptop and my girlfriend has a mac. I like the macbook pro for the battery life and what not, but I am not a fan of the OS. If I could get a macbook pro with windows, that'd be kickass.


You can. That's exactly what I have through work....Windows on a MacBook Pro.
I use boot camp to boot between either OSX or Windows XP SP3.
Works quite well.

Yep, since macs are now commodity hardware, you can install windows directly, and not have to run it through parallels.
...Rob
The American Dream isn't an SUV and a house in the suburbs;
it's Don't Tread On Me.
User avatar
rbochan
Rookie
Rookie
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 8:46 am
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Mac Moron

Postby STL JA » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:05 pm

SIU LAW wrote:My 2 month old Macbook Pro is awesome.

It's teh sex.

Love it, love it, love it.


Hell, my year and a half old Macbook Pro is still the shit. :grin:
User avatar
STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 4979
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:52 pm
Location: SLS's dome

Re: Mac Moron

Postby STL JA » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:06 pm

I wish I had a copy of XP to load on my Mac so I could play some PC games again.
User avatar
STL JA
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 4979
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:52 pm
Location: SLS's dome

Re: Mac Moron

Postby goon attack » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:00 pm

macs rule. windows sucks monkey spunk
Official '13-'14 sponsor of another season of bitter disappointment
Past Sponsorships: '13: communism; 11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; 10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; 09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; 08-'09: Sandy Miller
User avatar
goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 17049
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:18 pm

Re: Mac Moron

Postby Kreegz2 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:05 pm

goon attack wrote:macs rule. windows sucks monkey spunk


HE LIVES
2013-2014 LGB sponsor of Brendan Morrow
2013 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2011-2012 LGB sponsor of Jamie Langenbrunner
2008-2009 LGB sponsor of David Backes
User avatar
Kreegz2
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1081
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:52 pm
Location: Tampa FL

Re: Mac Moron

Postby stlbluz » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:01 pm

Kreegz2 wrote:
goon attack wrote:macs rule. windows sucks monkey spunk


HE LIVES


IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!
Image
Official Sponsor of Andy 'Airtime' McDonald
User avatar
stlbluz
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White
 
Posts: 7331
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 12:11 pm
Location: Edge of my seat

Re: Mac Moron

Postby cprice12 » Fri May 01, 2009 9:49 am

goon attack wrote:macs rule. windows sucks monkey spunk


My pros and cons on buying a Mac:

Pros:
- Quality hardware
- Solid construction
- Slick case designs
- Quality OS
- Virus risks are almost zero
- Can install/run Windows on newer Macs

Cons:
- Software is hard to come by for OS
- 95% of the "free apps" you find online, are not compatible with the Mac OS.
- OS not compatible with many popular applications/services
- Can't upgrade monitor on an iMac
- Can't add/upgrade a cd/dvd drive on an iMac
- Extremely expensive. The cheapest iMac is $1200. The cheapest Mac Pro is $2500 (does NOT include monitor). The cheapest laptop is $1000.
- Selection is limited to only three different model laptops and two different model desktops

I like Mac stuff, I really do. I just wouldn't ever have one as my primary computer. It just won't do everything I need it to do...so what's the point of paying MORE to own one?
Image
Image
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19443
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Mac Moron

Postby section319 » Fri May 01, 2009 10:30 am

cprice12 wrote:
goon attack wrote:macs rule. windows sucks monkey spunk


My pros and cons on buying a Mac:

Pros:
- Quality hardware
- Solid construction
- Slick case designs
- Quality OS
- Virus risks are almost zero
- Can install/run Windows on newer Macs

Cons:
- Software is hard to come by for OS
- 95% of the "free apps" you find online, are not compatible with the Mac OS.
- OS not compatible with many popular applications/services
- Can't upgrade monitor on an iMac
- Can't add/upgrade a cd/dvd drive on an iMac
- Extremely expensive. The cheapest iMac is $1200. The cheapest Mac Pro is $2500 (does NOT include monitor). The cheapest laptop is $1000.
- Selection is limited to only three different model laptops and two different model desktops

I like Mac stuff, I really do. I just wouldn't ever have one as my primary computer. It just won't do everything I need it to do...so what's the point of paying MORE to own one?



Um, because it is the hip thing to do. It is ridiculous the amount of Macs I see on campus. Probably helps that Mizzou is like an authorized Apple Store or whatever and we get deals on them, but still.
Official LGB sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko.
User avatar
section319
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 2634
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:20 am
Location: Mizzou

Re: Mac Moron

Postby goon attack » Fri May 01, 2009 1:30 pm

Curt- you keep talking about "everything you do"

what is it you do on the computer that you need windows for?
Official '13-'14 sponsor of another season of bitter disappointment
Past Sponsorships: '13: communism; 11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; 10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; 09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; 08-'09: Sandy Miller
User avatar
goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 17049
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:18 pm

Re: Mac Moron

Postby goon attack » Fri May 01, 2009 1:32 pm

what's the point of paying MORE to own one?


let's put it this way:

what is a firewall?

what is virus/spyware protection?

I don't even know if I have either on my machine and haven't given either a second thought in 4 years.

that's the point

have fun running/updating all your security crap that slows down your machine down, fellaths. :doh:
Official '13-'14 sponsor of another season of bitter disappointment
Past Sponsorships: '13: communism; 11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; 10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; 09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; 08-'09: Sandy Miller
User avatar
goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 17049
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:18 pm

Re: Mac Moron

Postby kodos » Fri May 01, 2009 2:12 pm

Yeah, I've been using Mac's exclusively for about 15 years and have yet to say to myself... "Man, I wish _______ was available on a Mac!"

I'm not saying that there aren't programs out there... just that in about 15 years or so, it hasn't really come up.
Image
User avatar
kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 11893
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:05 pm

Next

Return to Everything Else [OT]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron