Computer Help

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Computer Help

Post by dmiles2186 »

Alright--I know only bare minimum about computers and wireless networks, etc.

For work, I have a static IP with a Verizon modem and a Linksys Wireless router. The modem is linked to the router and I have a cable running from my router to my work PC. I've got a wireless network configured and has worked like a bird for the longest time. Only in the last few months does it go through spells where I can see the network (SSID: LetsGoBlues), it has a strong connection, but I cannot connect to it. I can select repair and it's unable to either connect to the network or repair my IP address (or whatever it says during the repair phase).

Some mornings, I'll turn my laptop on, the wireless will work fine. I turn it on again at lunch, no connection. That night: works fine. Then the following morning it won't work and it may not work all day.

Anyone with any computer experience have any idea? My wife has a laptop and typically she has no issues on hers when I'm having problems with mine, but have yet to check that out this time around. I've run a Malwarebytes scan and a virus scan and haven't found anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

the knob
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: Computer Help

Post by the knob »

Do you have no connection, or does Winders say that you've connected to a network with limited Internet access? Can you check the logs on the router to see if you actually connected or if the laptop was denied?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Mostly had no connection. At one point it was connected with limited access, but that was a rarity. I have no idea how to check logs on the router.

Right now it seems to be working. I had unplugged modem and router multiple times and rebooted everything and it didn't work. Last night, I left them unplugged for about 10 mins and it's worked ever since. Weird. I still don't trust it though.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

I've had some similar problems in the past, and it usually turned out that I had somehow messed up the password by a digit somehow. Reentered the number from the modem (probably not as secure to use that, but I'm lazy) and that took care of it.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

the knob
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by the knob »

dmiles2186 wrote:Mostly had no connection. At one point it was connected with limited access, but that was a rarity. I have no idea how to check logs on the router.
Usually it's just a web page on an internal IP address, check the documentation for your router or Google it online and you should be able to come up with the info. More than likely it has a username/password that you may not have set or have forgotten since you did it.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

[youtube][/youtube]
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko