Introduce Yourself

Discuss the St. Louis Blues, the NHL, or anything hockey. (Formerly the Blues News Forum)

Moderator: LGB Mods

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

H-Town, welcome. Why don't you want to root for the only Texas team in the NHL?

Dmiles, that was a great summary. You should write for the Blues media guide.

H-Town Blues
Rookie
Rookie

Post by H-Town Blues »

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:H-Town, welcome. Why don't you want to root for the only Texas team in the NHL?
Dallas. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. :lol:

In all seriousness, though, rooting for a team from Dallas wouldn't feel right to me (for a number of reasons).

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

H-Town Blues wrote:Hello, everyone. I'm a simple man in his (roaring) 20s and hail from Houston (my name probably gave that much away).

I'm taking my first steps into a larger world today, by finally beginning to seriously follow the NHL and, more importantly, the Blues. Allow me to explain:

I'm a huge sports fan, closely following all the major sports (NFL - Saints, NBA - Rockets, MLB - Astros, College Sports - LSU, and [not so closely, to be honest] MLS - Dynamo) - with hockey being the exception. It has always interested me, but the lack of an NHL team in Houston or New Orleans and the lack of interest from those close to me, has kept me from taking the plunge. However, I've decided to put an end to that, choose a team to call my own, and dive headfirst into the sport.

With the help of another website in choosing a team, and after careful deliberation, I'm happy to say that I'm making a lifelong commitment to being a St. Louis Blues fan.

With that being said, I must admit that I'm a little overwhelmed. Beginning to follow a sport and a team (with nearly 50 years of history) is daunting, to say the least. If anyone would be willing, I'd really appreciate a "state of the team" address, so to speak, in order to put this season into context and to help me familiarize myself with the team. I'm also interested in quickly learning as much as I can about the team's traditions and history. Obviously, I can learn on my own, but succinct information from a fan would be easier to handle. That's a lot to ask of you fine people and, honestly, I'm not expecting anyone to take the time to do that, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Other than that, I'm just happy to be here and to start this new sports chapter in my life. For my first in-person NHL experience (I have been to one AHL game - an Aeros [RIP] game, many years ago), I intend on making the trip up to St. Louis for a home game, but that'll probably be sometime in early 2015. In the meantime, I'm going to be following along on Gamecenter Live (or possibly Center Ice - I haven't decided yet).

*Catches breath*

And that's about it.
I like this guy. I hope he sticks around.

Welcome to the board, welcome to hockey and welcome to St. Louis Blues fandom. It's not easy to be a Blues fan, but seeing as how you're an Astros fan you do have some experience with disappointment. Before you get all defensive, I'm not dogging on your team. I mean, I'm a White Sox fan. The futility is alive and well there as well (with the exception of 2005....sorry about that too...). It would just be different if you came in saying you were a New England Patriots, Miami Heat and New York Yankees (except for lately) fan. I can't really say much more than dmiles already said about the Blues. I'll just reiterate that this is a fun team to watch. The fans are eager to win and are excitable both ways; a few wins in a row and we're the best team ever, but a few losses in a row and we're the worst and should blow up the team, but that's part of the fun.

All I can say is to not take the people on this board too seriously. We joke around quite a bit. Some people legitimately suck on here though...You'll figure out who they are. Most are decent enough people. :wink:

How did you come to decide on the Blues? I'm always interested in that. You said you used another website. I'm just curious. I started back in the day...probably early-mid 90's. I remember there was a game on TV and I saw Brett Hull and Brendan Shanahan playing. I was hooked from there. Not the most exciting story ever, but it's interesting how people choose teams. Especially if they aren't from the area. I'm from Montana for crying out loud. We don't have anything here. I became a White Sox fan because I got a Frank Thomas rookie card in a pack of baseball cards. He was big and hit homeruns so, boom, White Sox fan. Turned out to be a pretty good player to watch through the years. Hopefully the Blues bring you the same joy they do to me and many others here. In spite of not winning (yet), I wouldn't want to root for anyone else.
2015-2016 Official LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz (IR) & The Hockey Gods
2014-2015 Official LGB Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko

H-Town Blues
Rookie
Rookie

Post by H-Town Blues »

Thanks for the warm welcome, Viper.
ViPeRx007 wrote:It's not easy to be a Blues fan, but seeing as how you're an Astros fan you do have some experience with disappointment. Before you get all defensive, I'm not dogging on your team.
I'm not about to get defensive over someone simply stating the truth. I was pretty excited about the Astros winning their 70th game of the season, yesterday. As an Astros fan, I've learned to appreciate every small achievement and to take nothing for granted.
ViPeRx007 wrote: I mean, I'm a White Sox fan. The futility is alive and well there as well (with the exception of 2005....sorry about that too...).
I was fortunate enough to be able to attend Game 3 of the 2005 WS. Despite being part of an incredibly disappointing series (was simply not getting swept, too much to ask for?), I still look back fondly on that (historic, for a few reasons) game. I may never have another chance to be at an Astros World Series home game.
ViPeRx007 wrote: I'll just reiterate that this is a fun team to watch. The fans are eager to win and are excitable both ways; a few wins in a row and we're the best team ever, but a few losses in a row and we're the worst and should blow up the team, but that's part of the fun.
Those are qualities that any good fanbase should have, as far as I'm concerned. :lol:
ViPeRx007 wrote: How did you come to decide on the Blues? I'm always interested in that. You said you used another website. I'm just curious.
There were a number of factors involved, but these were a few of them:

1. Believe it or not, the lack of a Cup, and all of the frustrations that go along with that, attracted me to the team.
2. The Blues have a great logo, a great color scheme, and great jerseys.
3. Having seen bits and pieces of NHL playoff games over the years, I've found the energy of the crowds at Blues games to be impressive.
4. St. Louis is a nice city that I can associate myself with and feel good about it.
5. Sharing the same timezone is a plus, too.
ViPeRx007 wrote:Hopefully the Blues bring you the same joy they do to me and many others here.
I'm certain that they will.

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

H-Town Blues wrote: I'm not about to get defensive over someone simply stating the truth. I was pretty excited about the Astros winning their 70th game of the season, yesterday. As an Astros fan, I've learned to appreciate every small achievement and to take nothing for granted.
I suppose that's true. That's a good attitude to have.
H-Town Blues wrote:I was fortunate enough to be able to attend Game 3 of the 2005 WS. Despite being part of an incredibly disappointing series (was simply not getting swept, too much to ask for?), I still look back fondly on that (historic, for a few reasons) game. I may never have another chance to be at an Astros World Series home game.
Oh, man, the day that Geoff Blum, of all people, won a piece of my heart forever...haha. Just being at a World Series game at all would have been cool. That was a crazy season. It was something I'll probably never see again, from my team anyway. They tend to make this championship thing happen only once a century. I mean, come on, they've only been to the playoffs once since then (2008) and lost in the first round.
H-Town Blues wrote: There were a number of factors involved, but these were a few of them:

1. Believe it or not, the lack of a Cup, and all of the frustrations that go along with that, attracted me to the team.
2. The Blues have a great logo, a great color scheme, and great jerseys.
3. Having seen bits and pieces of NHL playoff games over the years, I've found the energy of the crowds at Blues games to be impressive.
4. St. Louis is a nice city that I can associate myself with and feel good about it.
5. Sharing the same timezone is a plus, too.
I have to admit the logo was a draw for me as well. I'm a big music fan; I play it, write/record it, listen to it, everything so I'd be lying if I didn't say that helped push them over the top for me. I hadn't even considered the timezone. At the time I was only about 11-12 years old. I'm in the Mountain timezone so that's not bad. Some of those late west coast or early east coast games would be hard. I guess that one just worked out for me.

LongDistanceBluesFan
Prospect
Prospect

Post by LongDistanceBluesFan »

I moved to St. Louis in 2011 (from Minnesota, where I was born and raised) for work. It was so easy to become a Blues fan! The city of St. Louis LOVES their sports and is very proud, but still carries a sense of good sportsmanship (unlike certain cities...ahem, LA). But after a year of living in STL, I moved to California for the weather. I'm still a hardcore Blues fan, but it's difficult only being able to see them play live a few times a year (and especially since they don't have the best record playing in Cali). I DO have Center Ice, so I watch every game possible. What I'm really looking for, at this point, is if there are other Blues fans in SoCal, maybe even close to me. It might be nice to connect with other fans in my position. LGB! :bluecool:

Fradi
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Fradi »

Hi all,

Hungarian fan here.
Have to admit I've never even been to the US, but a huge hockey fan, and been following NHL and the Blues for almost a decade and a half now.
My number one team is a Hungarian one, called Ferencváros, and the Blues became a team I'm rooting for too, when I first got into overseas hockey. It's something with the aura of the club, and the history made it a special one for me somehow. I was reading the forums for some time now, but I guess it's always much more fun when you actually post stuff :D And also, I don't really know people over here with whom I could have quality hockey talk either, so hopefully that's sorted for me now :)
2015-16 Sponsor of a true hero: Steve Ott

not_a_wings_fan
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by not_a_wings_fan »

Fradi wrote:Hi all,

Hungarian fan here.
Have to admit I've never even been to the US, but a huge hockey fan, and been following NHL and the Blues for almost a decade and a half now.
My number one team is a Hungarian one, called Ferencváros, and the Blues became a team I'm rooting for too, when I first got into overseas hockey. It's something with the aura of the club, and the history made it a special one for me somehow. I was reading the forums for some time now, but I guess it's always much more fun when you actually post stuff :D And also, I don't really know people over here with whom I could have quality hockey talk either, so hopefully that's sorted for me now :)
Welcome to the boards! Glad to have you.

What league does your Hungarian team play in and how are they doing this year?

Please feel free to jump right in to the discussion and share your perspectives with us!
Official 2008-2015 LGB Sponsor of Barret Jackman

JesusNEVERexisted
All-Star
All-Star

Post by JesusNEVERexisted »

Welcome Fradi.

I don't know if I ever introduced myself on here. Hello everyone! :mrgreen: :okman:

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Fradi wrote:Hi all,

Hungarian fan here.
Welcome! Stick around and contribute! The more the merrier. :okman:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Fradi
4th Line Mucker
4th Line Mucker

Post by Fradi »

Thank you all :)
not_a_wings_fan wrote: Welcome to the boards! Glad to have you.

What league does your Hungarian team play in and how are they doing this year?

Please feel free to jump right in to the discussion and share your perspectives with us!
In a Central-European league at the moment, called MOL League (named after a multinational oil and gas company, I used to work for them too as an intern), consisting of 8 teams from Hungary, slovakia, and romania.
Not so good, but that has been for the last 20 years now, we even used to be semi-pro for a while, without our own rink and all...I used to play for their youth set up for a few years, but got really pissed off by how things were going after a while, and decided to hang up the skates (didn't want to play for any other team either). Usually, if we win the season series with our main rival Újpest, and put in a decent run for the playoffs, I'm happy, we stand no chance there anyway :) This year we're close to making it, with 3 games left, but probably not gonna happen.
2015-16 Sponsor of a true hero: Steve Ott

puppypaws0123
Prospect
Prospect

Post by puppypaws0123 »

I'm also new here and I'm looking forward to learn from you guys.

I hope to really enjoy being a part of this forum

ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by ViPeRx007 »

puppypaws0123 wrote:I'm also new here and I'm looking forward to learn from you guys.

Dog jewelry?

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

ViPeRx007 wrote:
puppypaws0123 wrote:I'm also new here and I'm looking forward to learn from you guys.

Dog jewelry?
Not the strangest thing I've seen today.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

[quote="bluesgirl5"]I'm Tanya. I was bluesgirl5 on the blues forum. Went to log in after a long time of not visiting, and I can't seem to find it lol. People might remember me from there as the goof who tore my ACL at the first free food game back in 07 =) I've been a Blues fan since 93.[/quote]

Welcome Bluesgirl5. I remember you very well from The Old Blues Official NHL Forum, as well as your description of your accident, surgery and healing process. Good to see you here, now that I'm back here, myself.

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

I see that our old Introduction thread is gone, and a lot of posters are here that are new to me, so I'll post my story again. I've been a hockey fan since age 2 or so, watching family members play. We had a large (two-lot) backyard rink (with 4.5 to 5 months of freeze season). That was in Winnipeg way back before Global Warming.

I've followed The NHL since 1951, and The Blues since they started. I watched Rocket Richard and Bernie Geoffrion and Jean Beliveau, and Red Kelly and Winnipeggers Terry Sawchuck and Andy Bathgate play, as well as Gordie Howe and Jacques Plante and Glen Hall play in their primes. I played youth hockey in Manitoba through midget, and a bit into Juniors, before moving to Chicago.

I then became a Blackhawks fan, until The Blues drafted Glen Hall (my favourite goalie at the time), and became a Blues' fan for life when our neighbour and family friend, Ab McDonald, got traded to The Blues in 1968.

I've had a lot of happy moments as a Blues fan, but also a lot of disappointments over their 48 years. But this season, I have more hope than ever, that they'll win The Stanley Cup. I think this year's playoff team is the best they've ever iced. Here's to us all celebrating their winning it all THIS SEASON!!! :grin:

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Robb_K wrote:I see that our old Introduction thread is gone, and a lot of posters are here that are new to me, so I'll post my story again. I've been a hockey fan since age 2 or so, watching family members play. We had a large (two-lot) backyard rink (with 4.5 to 5 months of freeze season). That was in Winnipeg way back before Global Warming.

I've followed The NHL since 1951, and The Blues since they started. I watched Rocket Richard and Bernie Geoffrion and Jean Beliveau, and Red Kelly and Winnipeggers Terry Sawchuck and Andy Bathgate play, as well as Gordie Howe and Jacques Plante and Glen Hall play in their primes. I played youth hockey in Manitoba through midget, and a bit into Juniors, before moving to Chicago.

I then became a Blackhawks fan,
Cue the record scratch sound effect that cuts off the happy background music.
WTF dude? :wink:
Robb_K wrote:until The Blues drafted Glen Hall (my favourite goalie at the time), and became a Blues' fan for life when our neighbour and family friend, Ab McDonald, got traded to The Blues in 1968.

I've had a lot of happy moments as a Blues fan, but also a lot of disappointments over their 48 years. But this season, I have more hope than ever, that they'll win The Stanley Cup. I think this year's playoff team is the best they've ever iced. Here's to us all celebrating their winning it all THIS SEASON!!! :grin:
Hey, don't be a stranger Robb. It's always real good to get your take on things. :stanleycup: :letsgoblues:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

Robb_K
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Robb_K »

[quote="cprice12"][quote="Robb_K"]I see that our old Introduction thread is gone, and a lot of posters are here that are new to me, so I'll post my story again. I've been a hockey fan since age 2 or so, watching family members play. We had a large (two-lot) backyard rink (with 4.5 to 5 months of freeze season). That was in Winnipeg way back before Global Warming.

[b]I then became a Blackhawks fan[/b], [/quote]
Cue the record scratch sound effect that cuts off the happy background music.
WTF dude? :wink:

[quote="Robb_K"]until The Blues drafted Glen Hall (my favourite goalie at the time), and became a Blues' fan for life when our neighbour and family friend, Ab McDonald, got traded to The Blues in 1968.

I've had a lot of happy moments as a Blues fan, but also a lot of disappointments over their 48 years. But this season, I have more hope than ever, that they'll win The Stanley Cup. I think this year's playoff team is the best they've ever iced. Here's to us all celebrating their winning it all THIS SEASON!!! :grin:[/quote]

Hey, don't be a stranger Robb. It's always real good to get your take on things. :stanleycup: :letsgoblues:[/quote]

Thanks Curt.

midgensa
Rookie
Rookie

Post by midgensa »

Hello,

Longtime lurker who made a few posts on here way back in about 2010. I love the site and have learned a ton about hockey from hanging around these parts. Back when I signed up the Blues looked like they might be on the upswing ... but hopefully this is finally our year!

I was born in St. Louis and the Blues are the only "home" team I stayed loyal to (sorry Cardinals fans).

I might not post a ton, but I do love this site and wanted to share that with folks. Thanks for running such a great community filled with a very knowledgable fanbase!

G

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

midgensa wrote:Hello,

Longtime lurker who made a few posts on here way back in about 2010. I love the site and have learned a ton about hockey from hanging around these parts. Back when I signed up the Blues looked like they might be on the upswing ... but hopefully this is finally our year!

I was born in St. Louis and the Blues are the only "home" team I stayed loyal to (sorry Cardinals fans).

I might not post a ton, but I do love this site and wanted to share that with folks. Thanks for running such a great community filled with a very knowledgable fanbase!

G
Thanks! We're glad you like the site.
We have a lot of fun here.
And don't be shy...if you have any questions or anything you want to add, feel free to share.
:okman:
LETS GO BLUES RADIO