Game Thread: July 2012

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Game Thread: July 2012

Post by dmiles2186 »

Post it up in hurr.

2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Not Ott, because he is a booger-eating dumb dumb

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Re: Game Thread: July 2012

Post by cardsfan04 »

Carpenter is done for the season. I'm going to be surprised if he pitches next year either, but let's hope.

In ~related news, Zack Greinke apparently is interested in coming to the Cardinals and signing here longterm. Maybe they'll put his locker next to Carp's if Carp comes back.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Not a surprise on Carp at all. It follows the same old Mulder-esque spin from the Cardinals: "Felt a little tweak, he'll be fine!"

"Had a slight setback but we expect him back in 4-6 weeks."

"Throwing side sessions, feeling no pain! On target!"

"Felt a little twinge after last throwing session, no worries. Will sit for a few days and re-assess."

"Had a setback. Still monitoring."

"No time table for return."

"Another setback. Surgery being considered."

"Done for the season, surgery is being done. Our doctors are great."

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

How does this team continue to contend for championships on a regular basis with a medical staff this bad?

2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Patrik 'Bulan' Berglund

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Jon Buck...gotta know how to apply the tag, bud.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

dmiles2186 wrote:Jon Buck...gotta know how to apply the tag, bud.

Yup, throw had him beat easily.....but you gotta tag the runner.

That's a great way to head into the break, now Moe needs to go get us a starter.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

DaDitka wrote:

That's a great way to head into the break, now Moe needs to go get us a starter.
Yeah, awesome way to end the first half. I'd like a reliever too. Unfortunately though, the rumor is that we're interested in Fuentes. So, I guess I should rephrase this. I'd like a reliever that doesn't suck more than our current relievers.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cardsfan04 wrote:
DaDitka wrote:

Yeah, awesome way to end the first half. I'd like a reliever too. Unfortunately though, the rumor is that we're interested in Fuentes. So, I guess I should rephrase this. I'd like a reliever that doesn't suck more than our current relievers.

The reason I said starter is then they will move Joe Kelly into the pen.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

Strauss on Twitter: Cardinals have signed Brian Fuentes. Let the World Series parade begin!

Edit...It's a minor league deal. But still, nothing to get excited about.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

low risk, high reward signing. I don't expect much, but if he bombs, no real harm done.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

Yep, can't go wrong with that one. If he helps....great! If not......so what.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Cards call up Trevor Rosenthal, move Garcia to 60-day DL (to make room on 40 man roster), and option Cleto to Memphis. Pretty interesting move for a few reasons.

1. Rosenthal wasn't on 40 man roster. When Garcia is healthy again (if), we have to DFA somebody which almost certainly means release.

2. Rosenthal had never pitched above AA. Position players make that jump ~frequently if they are top prospects. Very rare for pitchers.

3. This could be the precursor of a blockbuster deal. I don't really see it, but I've heard it suggested that this could be the Cards trying to find out what they have in Rosenthal so they know if they can trade one of our top 3 SP prospects (Miller, Martinez, Rosenthal). Most people who think that's what this means think it would be Miller on the block. I'm not sure I buy into that, but that's an interesting idea.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:Cards call up Trevor Rosenthal, move Garcia to 60-day DL (to make room on 40 man roster), and option Cleto to Memphis. Pretty interesting move for a few reasons.

1. Rosenthal wasn't on 40 man roster. When Garcia is healthy again (if), we have to DFA somebody which almost certainly means release.

2. Rosenthal had never pitched above AA. Position players make that jump ~frequently if they are top prospects. Very rare for pitchers.

3. This could be the precursor of a blockbuster deal. I don't really see it, but I've heard it suggested that this could be the Cards trying to find out what they have in Rosenthal so they know if they can trade one of our top 3 SP prospects (Miller, Martinez, Rosenthal). Most people who think that's what this means think it would be Miller on the block. I'm not sure I buy into that, but that's an interesting idea.
Definitely interesting. I was surprised Miller didn't get the call but I trust what the Cardinals are doing.

Also, what a huge come from behind win last night. I didn't have a chance to watch much but saw they were down late. I gave up on them, woke up this morning and slapped on the highlights before work and was pleasantly surprised to see the win. That's huge if you ask me. It's not a must win by any means but to start 0-4 on the road trip would be a blow coming against division foes. Definitely a good pick-me-up win.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

dmiles2186 wrote: Also, what a huge come from behind win last night. I didn't have a chance to watch much but saw they were down late. I gave up on them, woke up this morning and slapped on the highlights before work and was pleasantly surprised to see the win. That's huge if you ask me. It's not a must win by any means but to start 0-4 on the road trip would be a blow coming against division foes. Definitely a good pick-me-up win.

Well Holiday came up with a two out two run double in the bottom of the ninth only to have the entire 'twitterverse' remind everyone how HORRIBLE he is.

That has been one positive effect of social media.......the 'worlds best baseball fans' have been exposed as quite possible the 'wolds dumbest baseball fans' and they sit there in their Bo Heart jersey and their stick on red goatee explaining to all that will listen just how bad Holiday is.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

dmiles2186 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:Cards call up Trevor Rosenthal, move Garcia to 60-day DL (to make room on 40 man roster), and option Cleto to Memphis. Pretty interesting move for a few reasons.

Definitely interesting. I was surprised Miller didn't get the call but I trust what the Cardinals are doing.

Also, what a huge come from behind win last night. I didn't have a chance to watch much but saw they were down late. I gave up on them, woke up this morning and slapped on the highlights before work and was pleasantly surprised to see the win. That's huge if you ask me. It's not a must win by any means but to start 0-4 on the road trip would be a blow coming against division foes. Definitely a good pick-me-up win.
Miller has had a pretty bad year in AAA so far, so I'd be surprised to see him this year before September (and that's probably not a given if he doesn't turn things around).

Agree on that being a big win. So huge to come from behind in the 9th like that after the bats had been absent the rest of the game. Our first hit with a runner on base came in the 9th. That can't happen. But, a win is a win. Nice to see the comeback.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

DaDitka wrote:
dmiles2186 wrote: Also, what a huge come from behind win last night. I didn't have a chance to watch much but saw they were down late. I gave up on them, woke up this morning and slapped on the highlights before work and was pleasantly surprised to see the win. That's huge if you ask me. It's not a must win by any means but to start 0-4 on the road trip would be a blow coming against division foes. Definitely a good pick-me-up win.

Well Holiday came up with a two out two run double in the bottom of the ninth only to have the entire 'twitterverse' remind everyone how HORRIBLE he is.

That has been one positive effect of social media.......the 'worlds best baseball fans' have been exposed as quite possible the 'wolds dumbest baseball fans' and they sit there in their Bo Heart jersey and their stick on red goatee explaining to all that will listen just how bad Holiday is.
Yeah, that's my biggest pet peeve about fans right now. Holliday is a top 5 hitter in the national league. He is a sicko who had a bad 12 games to start the season and made an error in an inopportune time (against the Dodgers in the NLDS in 2009). People seem to remember the bad, but don't seem to understand that his Cardinal numbers are better than his career numbers. He has an OPS of .930 as a Cardinal versus .927 for his career.

This year, despite a terrible first 2 weeks and mediocre 2-3 weeks following that, he has somehow managed to OPS .905. That's REALLY good, especially given his bad start. When people call him bad, I immediately know that they know less about baseball than I do about hockey lol.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by dmiles2186 »

cardsfan04 wrote:
DaDitka wrote:

Yeah, that's my biggest pet peeve about fans right now. Holliday is a top 5 hitter in the national league. He is a sicko who had a bad 12 games to start the season and made an error in an inopportune time (against the Dodgers in the NLDS in 2009). People seem to remember the bad, but don't seem to understand that his Cardinal numbers are better than his career numbers. He has an OPS of .930 as a Cardinal versus .927 for his career.

This year, despite a terrible first 2 weeks and mediocre 2-3 weeks following that, he has somehow managed to OPS .905. That's REALLY good, especially given his bad start. When people call him bad, I immediately know that they know less about baseball than I do about hockey lol.
I've never got the Holliday hate. I mean, I do to a degree, but I think that some Cardinals fans believe Holliday should come up and crack doubles/home runs every plate appearance. Truth be told, Pujols had some very rough and 'un-clutch' times for the Cardinals. But he also had outstanding seasons and signature moments--he was so good for so long it was easy to overlook his dips in production. Holliday is usually pretty steady and doesn't compile numbers in bunches.

I'm with you guys, the Cards fans who discount Holliday are out of their minds. He's one of the best players in the NL and this team really hasn't missed a beat offensively after losing the greatest hitter of the last decade.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

What better way to turn things around than for the Cubs to come to town. Time for a little run.

DaDitka
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by DaDitka »

cardsfan04 wrote:What better way to turn things around than for the Cubs to come to town. Time for a little run.

The same Cubs that have one 7 of their last ten (the second most wins over that span in the league)?

I hope the Birds are taking them a bit more seriously the you are.....(but I do get your point)

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

Wow, hadn't realized they were on such a hot streak. But, still, they're the Cubs. They suck.