THE OFFICIAL POLITICS THREAD

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: THE OFFICIAL POLITICS THREAD

Post by glen a richter »

Super Tuesday hath arrived!

All I can say about today is that, no matter what happens, Bernie has to stay in. The entire primary calendar after today favors him, and he can make up whatever ground may possibly be lost in today's contests. Big losses may give him pause to withdraw, but that would be a horrible decision. He's got to take it all the way to the convention.

Aside... I've been thinking about this whole supreme court vacancy thing, and it occurred to me that the President can actually put the senate Republicans in a major bind. Here's how: they've declared that they won't even consider any of the names presented to them, and wait for the next president to make the decision. This is a poorly veiled attempt to say "We won't accept whoever you pick because we don't like you." All Obama has to do is nominate a former lawyer by the name of Hillary Clinton. Here's the bind: Republicans are extraordinarily fearful of Trump, he drives them bonkers and they privately and publicly don't think he can win. By default, common thinking is he'll lose to Hillary (whether or not that's actually true) who becomes president and nominates a liberal judge anyway. If they let Hillary get a Supreme Court post solely to get her out of the race, then she's obviously out and they get to face Sanders, whom they assume (though polls say otherwise) will be easier to beat on account of his views. But, this also makes them look like they flop around in the wind and do what's best for them at, what every single republican in America would consider to be, the expense of the Supreme Court for years and years to come. In protest, Republican turnout in November would probably be depressed or split between an establishment candidate who jumps in to rival Trump, and they'd likely lose the White House and congress. In one smooth nomination, the entire party could be fractured permanently.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Watched the GOP debate last night.

:shock:

Donald Trump boasted about his penis size and Ted Cruz ate a booger.

That's about what I expected.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Between Romney trying to strong-arm himself into being nominated and the Clinton's up to their usual shenanigans, I would absolutely love to see two brokered conventions. First one, no Republican gets the required delegates on the first ballot and Romney gets selected on the second ballot without ever having actually declared his candidacy. Trump gets highly offended and decides to run third party. Second one, Hillary is indicted so at the convention they decide to pick Biden because they don't think Sanders is electable. Sanders, rightfully agitated, runs third party. Bloomberg, seeing complete chaos, decides to run third party and bam, Novembers ballot features Romney, Trump, Biden, Sanders and Bloomberg. No one reaches even close to the 270 electoral votes necessary, bringing into use the 12th amendment and the entire nation goes bonkers as a result.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:Between Romney trying to strong-arm himself into being nominated and the Clinton's up to their usual shenanigans, I would absolutely love to see two brokered conventions. First one, no Republican gets the required delegates on the first ballot and Romney gets selected on the second ballot without ever having actually declared his candidacy. Trump gets highly offended and decides to run third party. Second one, Hillary is indicted so at the convention they decide to pick Biden because they don't think Sanders is electable. Sanders, rightfully agitated, runs third party. Bloomberg, seeing complete chaos, decides to run third party and bam, Novembers ballot features Romney, Trump, Biden, Sanders and Bloomberg. No one reaches even close to the 270 electoral votes necessary, bringing into use the 12th amendment and the entire nation goes bonkers as a result.
That would be pretty entertaining to watch . . . for awhile. Watching Congress try to elect a president could get sad after awhile though.

I think we're going to see a Trump vs Clinton ballot without any significant 3rd party threat though. I don't think Trump should stand a chance in a general election, BUT (and this is a really big but) he's drawing his supporters to the polls more than democrats. I think if there was 100% voter turnout, he'd get crushed. There won't be 100% turnout though. And, maybe it could shift the election in his favor. I hope not, but seems within the realm of possibility.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2016-2017 Official LGB Sponsor of Dmitri Jaskin
2017-2018 Official LGB Sponsor of Jake Allen

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The Canadian is doing a pretty good job today of blocking Trump. The Republican convention should be as entertaining as their clown car debates.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

cardsfan04 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Between Romney trying to strong-arm himself into being nominated and the Clinton's up to their usual shenanigans, I would absolutely love to see two brokered conventions. First one, no Republican gets the required delegates on the first ballot and Romney gets selected on the second ballot without ever having actually declared his candidacy. Trump gets highly offended and decides to run third party. Second one, Hillary is indicted so at the convention they decide to pick Biden because they don't think Sanders is electable. Sanders, rightfully agitated, runs third party. Bloomberg, seeing complete chaos, decides to run third party and bam, Novembers ballot features Romney, Trump, Biden, Sanders and Bloomberg. No one reaches even close to the 270 electoral votes necessary, bringing into use the 12th amendment and the entire nation goes bonkers as a result.
That would be pretty entertaining to watch . . . for awhile. Watching Congress try to elect a president could get sad after awhile though.

I think we're going to see a Trump vs Clinton ballot without any significant 3rd party threat though. I don't think Trump should stand a chance in a general election, BUT (and this is a really big but) he's drawing his supporters to the polls more than democrats. I think if there was 100% voter turnout, he'd get crushed. There won't be 100% turnout though. And, maybe it could shift the election in his favor. I hope not, but seems within the realm of possibility.
I think if Trump does get the GOP nomination, you'll see Democrats turn out in record numbers to vote, and there will be huge campaigns to do so. No way would Democrats not turn out in high numbers and allow Trump to be elected. No way.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

cprice12 wrote:
cardsfan04 wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Between Romney trying to strong-arm himself into being nominated and the Clinton's up to their usual shenanigans, I would absolutely love to see two brokered conventions. First one, no Republican gets the required delegates on the first ballot and Romney gets selected on the second ballot without ever having actually declared his candidacy. Drumpf gets highly offended and decides to run third party. Second one, Hillary is indicted so at the convention they decide to pick Biden because they don't think Sanders is electable. Sanders, rightfully agitated, runs third party. Bloomberg, seeing complete chaos, decides to run third party and bam, Novembers ballot features Romney, Drumpf, Biden, Sanders and Bloomberg. No one reaches even close to the 270 electoral votes necessary, bringing into use the 12th amendment and the entire nation goes bonkers as a result.

I think we're going to see a Drumpf vs Clinton ballot without any significant 3rd party threat though. I don't think Drumpf should stand a chance in a general election, BUT (and this is a really big but) he's drawing his supporters to the polls more than democrats. I think if there was 100% voter turnout, he'd get crushed. There won't be 100% turnout though. And, maybe it could shift the election in his favor. I hope not, but seems within the realm of possibility.
I think if Drumpf does get the GOP nomination, you'll see Democrats turn out in record numbers to vote, and there will be huge campaigns to do so. No way would Democrats not turn out in high numbers and allow Drumpf to be elected. No way.
You're probably right. I don't think it's a certainty that dems have that response though, especially with how many people loathe Hillary.

btw, threads like this are a lot more fun with the drumpfinator chrome extension. If you don't know what I'm talking about:

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I just can't bring myself to vote for Hillary. I mean if she gets the nomination, which isn't as foregone a conclusion as everyone is making it out to be, I'll probably do a hold my nose with one hand, vote with the other, but she's as bad as everyone on the right. I guess it ultimately depends on who the running mate is and also there is the whole supreme court thing. I think turnout will be huge for both parties simply because both candidates, whomever they end up being, will repeatedly drive home the point that there's wedge issues at stake depending on who gets on the bench.

The thing I like about Bernie is he's not babbling on about those wedge issues. I'm sick of hearing about abortion and gay marriage. I want to hear someone talking about what they're going to do for the middle class and the only one who's being genuine about that is Sanders. He's on point, he's honest, he cares about America and working class Americans and unfortunately all people give a hoot about in this country are abortion and gay marriage... and guns.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

glen a richter wrote:I just can't bring myself to vote for Hillary. I mean if she gets the nomination, which isn't as foregone a conclusion as everyone is making it out to be, I'll probably do a hold my nose with one hand, vote with the other, but she's as bad as everyone on the right. I guess it ultimately depends on who the running mate is and also there is the whole supreme court thing. I think turnout will be huge for both parties simply because both candidates, whomever they end up being, will repeatedly drive home the point that there's wedge issues at stake depending on who gets on the bench.

The thing I like about Bernie is he's not babbling on about those wedge issues. I'm sick of hearing about abortion and gay marriage. I want to hear someone talking about what they're going to do for the middle class and the only one who's being genuine about that is Sanders. He's on point, he's honest, he cares about America and working class Americans and unfortunately all people give a hoot about in this country are abortion and gay marriage... and guns.
I keep going back and forth about Bernie. I really want to get fully behind him. He talks about all the right topics. I just don't think his ideas are realistic or sustainable.

A few examples:

-Cost of education is a big problem. Education is such a needed thing that it allows for costs to become borderline predatory. But I don't agree with making it free either.

-Widening wealth gap is a problem. Along those lines, inflation has grown faster than minimum wage. But, while a corporation like McDonalds could stay in business with $15 minimum wage, the mom n pop sandwich shop next door might not, not to mention the likely raise in unemployment.

-Health costs are an issue. It's a travesty than in a society as prosperous and advanced as ours that people can't afford healthcare. While I'm open to socialized healthcare, a single-payer system doesn't attack the real problem: the out of control costs due to a for-profit health industry and doctors that have to order needless tests to avoid being sued.

I really like that he makes discussion on a lot of these issues that many candidates would rather ignore. But, I wish his solutions were scaled back a bit.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I think that if he were to become president what we'd see is scaled back versions of the things he talks about. Everyone is extreme in primaries and gravitates more to the middle afterwards.

Instead of free college, I'd get behind low cost public 2 and 4 year schools as options but not the only option. If someone wants to go to a more expensive or elite school, that's always there. I think in Canada, correct me if I'm wrong, Canadian schools all have the same tuition and it's relatively affordable.

Single payer is a majorly important issue to me. I don't pay a dime for my insurance because my employer covers it 100% so I'd probably end up actually paying more by virtue of having to pay something, but the long term cost savings to most people and access to health care makes it worth it.

As far as I'm concerned, the federal government should provide, at taxpayer expense, for four things: an affordable option for post-secondary education, medical coverage for everyone, interstate infrastructure and defense. The state governments should provide an option for a social security type program that workers can opt into or choose to do a 401K type program on their own and be responsible for all intrastate infrastructure. Local governments should be responsible for Pre-K - 12 education.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

From a practical standpoint, that might happen. There's no way he can implement his solutions as he is currently stating them. He wouldn't have enough support, so he'd have to scale it back a little bit. I think he genuinely wants his ideas enacted as he has stated them though.

Along the lines of needing to scale them back for practical reasons, if he were to become president, there could be value in where he starts the conversation. After making compromises (assuming GOP is willing to compromise, which I'm not holding my breath on), what he actually gets accomplished could be pretty good.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

Bernie might write Executive Orders like mad and just burn out the Republicans.

On a side note, am I the only person to believe that Trump is nothing more than the greatest Troll to ever walk the Earth? The more he gets fed, the more ridiculous and inane he gets and he has to know this and is playing everyone for a fool. I've been calling him Borat 2.0 because it's less about what he's saying and more about the kind of people that has magically appeared around him; the worst the country has to offer in some cases.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Oaklandblue wrote:Bernie might write Executive Orders like mad and just burn out the Republicans.

On a side note, am I the only person to believe that Trump is nothing more than the greatest Troll to ever walk the Earth? The more he gets fed, the more ridiculous and inane he gets and he has to know this and is playing everyone for a fool. I've been calling him Borat 2.0 because it's less about what he's saying and more about the kind of people that has magically appeared around him; the worst the country has to offer in some cases.
I think the republicans will just be so happy that it's Bernie and not Obama or Hillary that they'll be willing to work together a bit. I've heard Sanders' best friend in congress is James Inhofe. I mean that's got to stand for something if the most liberal senator can be buddies with the most conservative.

Oaklandblue
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Oaklandblue »

glen a richter wrote:
Oaklandblue wrote:Bernie might write Executive Orders like mad and just burn out the Republicans.

I think the republicans will just be so happy that it's Bernie and not Obama or Hillary that they'll be willing to work together a bit. I've heard Sanders' best friend in congress is James Inhofe. I mean that's got to stand for something if the most liberal senator can be buddies with the most conservative.
I forgot about that... good point. And yeah, that counts for a lot.
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Alexander Steen
2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Jaromir Jagr, Calgary Flames
2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Brian Elliott, Calgary Flames
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Ryan "Turn that leaf on the wind into a shrimp on the bar-bee" Reaves
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Obviously Not Steve Ott
2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Steve "Chirps-A-Lot" Ott
2015 LGB Supporter of the New York Rangers
2014-2015 LGB Sponsor of Patrik "No-Timer" Berglund
2013-2014 LGB Sponsor of Derek "In The Middle" Roy
2012-2013 LGB Sponsor of Chris "NO SLEEP TIL THE CUP!" Stewart - Shhhhh!!!

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

So today's a pretty big day on both sides.

On the Dem side, I think Bernie will pull off another big surprise like he did in Michigan. I'm looking at him to take Illinois, Missouri, Ohio and North Carolina. He'll lose Florida because Florida is Hillary friendly--a bunch of senior citizen women who want any female president, no matter whether that female is Hillary or anyone else. The momentum Sanders gets will take him the rest of the way to the convention where they'll have to decide if they want the guy who was carrying crucial independent voters left and right in open primaries or the gal who could only win closed primary states that democrats never win in general elections anyway.

On the Rep side, I'm looking for Kasich to win Ohio and Rubio to get wrecked in his home state. After Marco and Teddy Canadian drop out of the race, it's between Kasich and Trump and look for the party to dump as much money as they possibly can into pushing Kasich across the rest of the country. If he loses Ohio, Trump effectively wins the nomination tonight.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Whelp never mind that...

Clinton v. Trump... what a shit choice. Looks like I'll be going 3rd party this time around.

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

I dunno...I guess everyone feels the same way about the candidate they prefer... but I just can't see why so many people prefer Hillary over Sanders. When you listen to them debate each other, the choice seems so clear to me. I don't get the support for Hillary. I mean, I understand the special interests that are driving her campaign and pushing for her...I get that is largely why she is ahead, but in the end, the people are the ones voting at the polls. So what the hell?

And I REALLY can't understand why anyone would vote for Trump or Cruz...at all. Most Republicans I know are pissed about the candidate choices they have. Trump is anti-establishment, which can be a very good thing...but it being a good thing doesn't automatically apply to EVERYONE who is anti-establishment. Trump isn't the guy that should be backed in that case. If people want anti-establishment (and I've heard a lot of people say that is what they want), then vote for Sanders. He is a far, far, far superior candidate than Trump. But I'm guessing there is no way Trump supporters are going to vote for ANY Democrat for ANY reason. It doesn't seem in their character at all.

Why Kasich hasn't gotten more support is beyond me. He seems by far, to be the Republican's best candidate...but he is getting slaughtered...and looks to finally be pulling out of the race (or running out of money) as he is now removing a lot of radio ads in Wisconsin. It's a shame.

I'm a Sanders guy. I'll semi-reluctantly vote for Hillary if/when Sanders doesn't get the nomination and if he doesn't run as an independent.

And if Trump or Cruz actually do become President? Ugh. I will just be so embarrassed at our country for electing someone like one of those two. It will feel like we have sunk to a new low. I seriously can't see that happening though...unless we have an independent run and nobody gets the required number of electoral votes and then the House elects the President, which would of course be a Republican. What a mess.

I spoke with two family members over Easter who are Trump supporters. But the funny thing is, they were reluctant to tell me who they were voting for/have voted for...like they were embarrassed. That's kind of telling right there. I was happy to tell them who I was supporting.

This has been such a weird and messed up election year so far...and I assume it will only get weirder.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

cprice12 wrote:I dunno...I guess everyone feels the same way about the candidate they prefer... but I just can't see why so many people prefer Hillary over Sanders. When you listen to them debate each other, the choice seems so clear to me. I don't get the support for Hillary. I mean, I understand the special interests that are driving her campaign and pushing for her...I get that is largely why she is ahead, but in the end, the people are the ones voting at the polls. So what the hell?

And I REALLY can't understand why anyone would vote for Drumpf or Cruz...at all. Most Republicans I know are pissed about the candidate choices they have. Drumpf is anti-establishment, which can be a very good thing...but it being a good thing doesn't automatically apply to EVERYONE who is anti-establishment. Drumpf isn't the guy that should be backed in that case. If people want anti-establishment (and I've heard a lot of people say that is what they want), then vote for Sanders. He is a far, far, far superior candidate than Drumpf. But I'm guessing there is no way Drumpf supporters are going to vote for ANY Democrat for ANY reason. It doesn't seem in their character at all.

Why Kasich hasn't gotten more support is beyond me. He seems by far, to be the Republican's best candidate...but he is getting slaughtered...and looks to finally be pulling out of the race (or running out of money) as he is now removing a lot of radio ads in Wisconsin. It's a shame.

I'm a Sanders guy. I'll semi-reluctantly vote for Hillary if/when Sanders doesn't get the nomination and if he doesn't run as an independent.

And if Drumpf or Cruz actually do become President? Ugh. I will just be so embarrassed at our country for electing someone like one of those two. It will feel like we have sunk to a new low. I seriously can't see that happening though...unless we have an independent run and nobody gets the required number of electoral votes and then the House elects the President, which would of course be a Republican. What a mess.

I spoke with two family members over Easter who are Drumpf supporters. But the funny thing is, they were reluctant to tell me who they were voting for/have voted for...like they were embarrassed. That's kind of telling right there. I was happy to tell them who I was supporting.

This has been such a weird and messed up election year so far...and I assume it will only get weirder.
That's roughly where I'm at too. I voted for Bernie in the primary and am getting more and more on board with him despite my concerns. If he loses to Hillary as I expect, I will vote for Hillary assuming the GOP candidate is either Trump or Cruz. I'm not a huge fan of hers, but I actually do think she would do a good job as president.

In regards to how weird this election is, I think it's illustrating what's wrong with the GOP right now. There is a contingent of the GOP (not, the entire party, but a sizable contingent) that has a very different view of what is good for the country than I do. It's not just an ideological difference, but a general approach to politics that concerns me. There's a whole host of issues that this contingent of the party would rather block progress than find compromise. I've always viewed Ted Cruz as the face of this movement, but I never really thought it was big enough to have such an impact on the presidential election.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

I'm not sure where all these Hillary supporters are. I don't know any. I do know a lot of people who were for her in 2008 that aren't anymore.

What I do suspect are shenanigans. For example, Bill showing up at polling places in Massachusetts to take pictures with voters. Illegal much? How come that was mentioned only in passing then forgotten about? The Clintons are like the damned mafia. If it wasn't for the supreme court issue, I may just go third party this time.

cardsfan04
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by cardsfan04 »

I don't particularly trust things that Hillary says. Sally Kohn said awhile back that Obama's campaign was a presidential campaign disguised as a progressive movement whereas Sanders's campaign is a progressive movement disguised as a presidential campaign. I think a similar thing holds true for Hillary and worry she's savvy enough to say the right things to get elected without having the passion for the things that she says that Bernie does. I'd like to think that her trustworthiness issues don't rise to the level of election fraud though.