Bruce Sutter

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

theohall
Hockey God
Hockey God

Bruce Sutter

Post by theohall »

Did anyone else know this?

Bruce Sutter has not been paid the principle of his salary from any of his seasons with the Atlanta Braves when they signed him as a free agent. Don't know who his agent was, but that guy was brilliant!!

He signed a 9.1 million dollar contract in 1984 but arranged it to be paid on a deferred basis. The result of this is he's received money every year (1.12 Million/yr) through the present (all counted as interest on his contract) from the Atlanta Braves and will until 2022 when the actual 9.1 million dollar salary has to be paid to the then 69 year old Hall of Famer who last pitched in 1988. Yeah, Sutter makes the Mets Bonilla deal look like peanuts.

Brilliant agent turned a 9 million dollar contract into a 51 million dollars over 30+ years contract via deferred compensation.

Reason I bring this up, there is an article on The Athletic about deferred compensation making Canadian teams competitive economically to high-priced UFAs.

This is a lesson in what can go wrong with deferred compensation. Paying a guy for 30+ years after he is done playing.
Official LGB sponsor of Robert Thomas 2022-2023 Season

StL Dan
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Re: Bruce Sutter

Post by StL Dan »

Just now reading this!

Brilliant! What a sweet play by Sutter and his agent.
2019-20 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2018-19 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz
2017-18 LGB Sponsor of The Schwartz

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I can't believe teams go for this. Seems insane to me, but what do I know?
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

The Mets' Bonilla deal is the least of the Mets' problems right now, paling in comparison to the problem of having the biggest asshole in the sports world as the GM, the biggest cheap Charlies in the sports world as owners and a manager who'd rather hug and kiss his players than push them to not suck like a franking Hoover vacuum. At least Pete Alonso is having a great rookie season, too bad it's being wasted on an ass team.

As far as Sutter's contract... brilliant!
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024