Madison Hedgecock on Scott Linehan

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Madison Hedgecock on Scott Linehan

Postby crazy blues fan » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:24 am

:lol:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument

The Rams cut fullback Madison Hedgecock after their first regular-season game of 2007. Two days later, the New York Giants claimed Hedgecock on waivers and plugged the 265-pound lead blocker into their lineup to put additional muscle in their rushing attack.

The Giants were fourth in the NFL in rushing, and after three tough playoff road wins, they'll face New England in the Super Bowl. The Giants were so impressed with Hedgecock's work, they gave him a five-year contract extension worth $5.5 million.

Meanwhile, frustrated Rams fans might wonder why coach Scott Linehan released Hedgecock to make room for Richard Owens, an ineffective H-back.

"Because the head coach brought in a player that he'd had in college, and Minnesota," Hedgecock said Friday on our radio show (KSLG, 1380 AM). "He got rid of me because I wasn't brought in by him. And anything they say doesn't really matter, because that's the truth." Advertisement

True, Owens is a FOSL. (Friend Of Scott Linehan). He had Linehan as offensive coordinator in college (Louisville) and in the NFL (Minnesota).

"They could have at least brought in somebody that was good to replace me," Hedgecock said. "They brought in a guy that didn't dress (for games). And he was the coach's buddy. I don't need that stuff. I don't want to play for a buddy. I want to play for somebody that wants to win."

To Hedgecock, that would be Giants coach Tom Coughlin, whom he calls "a fiery speaker."

And Linehan?

"He's pretty boring in my book," Hedgecock said. "I think his players would fall asleep before a game. I can't even be nice about it any more."

Hedgecock remains upset by something Rams teammates told him after his release: Rams coaches disliked his attitude.

"I might be too slow, or not too fast, or too pretty, or whatever you want to call me, but my attitude has never been a problem," he said. "I've never had a bad attitude. To say that is a joke.

"(In 2006) I had a high ankle sprain and a broken thumb and I played the whole year. I don't think I was as highly as effective as I could have been, but I had to play through a lot of pain. That was a rough year for me as far as staying healthy, but I never missed a beat. And then they repay you for playing hard and hurt by cutting you."

Well, Hedgecock got his revenge in the form of respect, a new contract and a chance to play in the Super Bowl.

"I don't know what the Rams were thinking," Giants running back Brandon Jacobs said. "But I'm glad they kicked him out of the house and onto the streets and threw his clothes out. One man's trash is another man's treasure, and St. Louis' trash has most definitely been our treasure."
Image
Thanks to Viper for the great sig!
crazy blues fan
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2351
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:01 pm

Re: Madison Hedgecock on Scott Linehan

Postby cprice12 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:29 pm

I don't like Linehan at all...but for Hedgecock to come out and say he doesn't have an attitude problem but then to turn around and publicly rip Linehan, is pretty hypocritical.

And WTF?? I just looked at his stats this year.
Am I missing something here?

Madison Hedgecock's numbers this season:
Games: 5
Receptions: 7
Receiving yards: 52
Rushing attempts: 0 (he is listed as a fullback btw)
Rushing Yards: 0

The Giants think so highly of this guy, that they benched him the last 6 games of the season and 9 of the last 10...and...
- He had 1 catch for 5 yards in their first playoff game.
- He didn't touch the ball in their second playoff game, if he even played at all.
- He didn't touch the ball in their third playoff game, if he even played at all.
- I doubt he plays in the Superbowl.

OMG!! How could Linehan let this guy go?!?!? :roll:
Yeah, he's a real valuable player. :lol:

Two days later, the New York Giants claimed Hedgecock on waivers and plugged the 265-pound lead blocker into their lineup to put additional muscle in their rushing attack.

The Giants were fourth in the NFL in rushing


I like how in the article they mention the Giants were the 4th best rushing team, like somehow Hedgecock contributed to that. HE NEVER TOUCHED THE BALL ON A RUSHING PLAY ALL SEASON! :lol:
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19532
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Madison Hedgecock on Scott Linehan

Postby OS » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:37 pm

Uhh.. Curt... Hedgecock is a full back. His job is to create holes for the running back. The numbers you need to look at are those of Steven Jackson last year (when he lead the league in yards) and Brandon Jacobs this year.
Image
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
User avatar
OS
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 27094
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:25 am
Location: Section 301

Re: Madison Hedgecock on Scott Linehan

Postby cprice12 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:06 pm

OS wrote:Uhh.. Curt... Hedgecock is a full back. His job is to create holes for the running back. The numbers you need to look at are those of Steven Jackson last year (when he lead the league in yards) and Brandon Jacobs this year.


You're right.
But it's not out of the ordinary for fullbacks to get carries. I guess I was under the assumption that they carried the ball more than they do.
Image
Image

2014-2015 Sponsor -- Blues Asst. Coach Kirk Muller
User avatar
cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19532
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:26 am
Location: Center Ice

Re: Madison Hedgecock on Scott Linehan

Postby northwest dave » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:44 pm

Should have never let Martz go. Yeah, he was crazy, but the team sure was exciting...and much better!

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.
User avatar
northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
 
Posts: 4619
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:56 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Madison Hedgecock on Scott Linehan

Postby Chudman82 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:58 pm

northwest dave wrote:Should have never let Martz go. Yeah, he was crazy, but the team sure was exciting...and much better!


You realize the Lions let him go too right? Martz is a one-trick pony, albeit a very good one. He is not just pass first, but pass only.
I am the way...prepare for, Salvation!
- Fear Factory[Smasher/Devourer]
Chudman82
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:14 pm

Re: Madison Hedgecock on Scott Linehan

Postby northwest dave » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:42 pm

Chudman82 wrote:
northwest dave wrote:Should have never let Martz go. Yeah, he was crazy, but the team sure was exciting...and much better!


You realize the Lions let him go too right? Martz is a one-trick pony, albeit a very good one. He is not just pass first, but pass only.


Yes the Lions...a model of a successful franchise. I also know that the Rams were a winning team when Martz was employed by them.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.
User avatar
northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
 
Posts: 4619
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:56 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Madison Hedgecock on Scott Linehan

Postby SteveO » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:26 am

northwest dave wrote:
Chudman82 wrote:
northwest dave wrote:Should have never let Martz go. Yeah, he was crazy, but the team sure was exciting...and much better!


You realize the Lions let him go too right? Martz is a one-trick pony, albeit a very good one. He is not just pass first, but pass only.


Yes the Lions...a model of a successful franchise. I also know that the Rams were a winning team when Martz was employed by them.


But they had the lord and savior behind the QB!!

The Rams are in too much of a transition mode I think. Our WR's are aging and declining which was the biggest reason for our success under Martz. Jackson isn't anywhere near the pass threat that Faulk was.
User avatar
SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
 
Posts: 5481
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:08 am
Location: Lockout Hell

Re: Madison Hedgecock on Scott Linehan

Postby Chudman82 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:40 pm

northwest dave wrote:
Chudman82 wrote:
northwest dave wrote:Should have never let Martz go. Yeah, he was crazy, but the team sure was exciting...and much better!


You realize the Lions let him go too right? Martz is a one-trick pony, albeit a very good one. He is not just pass first, but pass only.


Yes the Lions...a model of a successful franchise. I also know that the Rams were a winning team when Martz was employed by them.


What does it say about you when a bad team doesn't want you to be on their team? And if I recall, Martz and the rest of the Rams management ran the team into the ground. Martz helped, but it wasn't just him.
I am the way...prepare for, Salvation!
- Fear Factory[Smasher/Devourer]
Chudman82
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:14 pm

Re: Madison Hedgecock on Scott Linehan

Postby Chudman82 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:00 pm

Prngr44 wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
Chudman82 wrote:
northwest dave wrote:Should have never let Martz go. Yeah, he was crazy, but the team sure was exciting...and much better!


You realize the Lions let him go too right? Martz is a one-trick pony, albeit a very good one. He is not just pass first, but pass only.


Yes the Lions...a model of a successful franchise. I also know that the Rams were a winning team when Martz was employed by them.


But they had the lord and savior behind the QB!!

The Rams are in too much of a transition mode I think. Our WR's are aging and declining which was the biggest reason for our success under Martz. Jackson isn't anywhere near the pass threat that Faulk was.


Uh...dude caught 90 passes for 806 yards in 06-07, the most by any running back that season. 2nd place was Reggie Bush with 746 yards, who was basically a halfback playing wideout, especially since Deuce McAllister did the bulk of the rushing for the Saints that year. The only other guy who was a geat receiving threat as well as rushing threat was Westbrook, he had just under 700 yards receiving and 1300 yards rushing. No other halfbacks besides these three cracked 500 yards receiving that season.

But yea, Jackson is a damn good pass catcher.
I am the way...prepare for, Salvation!
- Fear Factory[Smasher/Devourer]
Chudman82
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:14 pm

Re: Madison Hedgecock on Scott Linehan

Postby Ruutu15 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:33 pm

Chudman82 wrote:
Prngr44 wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
Chudman82 wrote:
northwest dave wrote:Should have never let Martz go. Yeah, he was crazy, but the team sure was exciting...and much better!


You realize the Lions let him go too right? Martz is a one-trick pony, albeit a very good one. He is not just pass first, but pass only.


Yes the Lions...a model of a successful franchise. I also know that the Rams were a winning team when Martz was employed by them.


But they had the lord and savior behind the QB!!

The Rams are in too much of a transition mode I think. Our WR's are aging and declining which was the biggest reason for our success under Martz. Jackson isn't anywhere near the pass threat that Faulk was.


Uh...dude caught 90 passes for 806 yards in 06-07, the most by any running back that season. 2nd place was Reggie Bush with 746 yards, who was basically a halfback playing wideout, especially since Deuce McAllister did the bulk of the rushing for the Saints that year. The only other guy who was a geat receiving threat as well as rushing threat was Westbrook, he had just under 700 yards receiving and 1300 yards rushing. No other halfbacks besides these three cracked 500 yards receiving that season.

But yea, Jackson is a damn good pass catcher.


That actually says more about the playcalling and the QB than Jackson. I like Jackson, so let me star by saying that. However, when you have the WR threats that the Rams have, there's absolutely no reason for guys like Holt to have one reception in a game. Bulger sucks, I've said that for years, and I don't care what anyone says in response...he's an average NFL QB at best. When you check down to the RB constantly, he's bound to have some receiving yards.
Image
User avatar
Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White
 
Posts: 6941
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:10 pm
Location: Currently in Cincinnati, OH

Re: Madison Hedgecock on Scott Linehan

Postby Chudman82 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:47 pm

Ruutu15 wrote:
Chudman82 wrote:
Prngr44 wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
Chudman82 wrote:
northwest dave wrote:Should have never let Martz go. Yeah, he was crazy, but the team sure was exciting...and much better!


You realize the Lions let him go too right? Martz is a one-trick pony, albeit a very good one. He is not just pass first, but pass only.


Yes the Lions...a model of a successful franchise. I also know that the Rams were a winning team when Martz was employed by them.


But they had the lord and savior behind the QB!!

The Rams are in too much of a transition mode I think. Our WR's are aging and declining which was the biggest reason for our success under Martz. Jackson isn't anywhere near the pass threat that Faulk was.


Uh...dude caught 90 passes for 806 yards in 06-07, the most by any running back that season. 2nd place was Reggie Bush with 746 yards, who was basically a halfback playing wideout, especially since Deuce McAllister did the bulk of the rushing for the Saints that year. The only other guy who was a geat receiving threat as well as rushing threat was Westbrook, he had just under 700 yards receiving and 1300 yards rushing. No other halfbacks besides these three cracked 500 yards receiving that season.

But yea, Jackson is a damn good pass catcher.


That actually says more about the playcalling and the QB than Jackson. I like Jackson, so let me star by saying that. However, when you have the WR threats that the Rams have, there's absolutely no reason for guys like Holt to have one reception in a game. Bulger sucks, I've said that for years, and I don't care what anyone says in response...he's an average NFL QB at best. When you check down to the RB constantly, he's bound to have some receiving yards.


Or maybe Jackson is a damn good pass catcher. Not to mention Bulger had his best season by far in 06-07, 24 TDs and only 8 INTs, so it's not like the guy didn't throw TD passes to the Rams wideouts. Keep in mind, Bruce is declining, Holt's knee has been damaged for 2 straight seasons now, and he refuses to get it surgically repaired. So neither receiver has any explosiveness off the line and can't separate...which is why they're not open as often as they should be. I'm not saying that Bulger is a great QB by any means, but you have to realize that the Rams receivers aren't anywhere near what they used to be, and if you have to check down to arguably the 2nd best RB in the game and the best pass catching RB in the game, then you do it.
I am the way...prepare for, Salvation!
- Fear Factory[Smasher/Devourer]
Chudman82
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:14 pm

Re: Madison Hedgecock on Scott Linehan

Postby northwest dave » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:02 pm

Chudman82 wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
Chudman82 wrote:
northwest dave wrote:Should have never let Martz go. Yeah, he was crazy, but the team sure was exciting...and much better!


You realize the Lions let him go too right? Martz is a one-trick pony, albeit a very good one. He is not just pass first, but pass only.


Yes the Lions...a model of a successful franchise. I also know that the Rams were a winning team when Martz was employed by them.


What does it say about you when a bad team doesn't want you to be on their team? And if I recall, Martz and the rest of the Rams management ran the team into the ground. Martz helped, but it wasn't just him.


It means that the Lions aren't very good and are making a mistake. He took a Lions offense from 27th to 15th in two years.

Not sure I agree with this "ran the team into the ground"?
Martz's record is 53-32 with the Rams and the teams were fun to watch. He was a good coach and the team was exciting and winning.

To disagree, one doesn't have to be disagreeable.
User avatar
northwest dave
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
 
Posts: 4619
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:56 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Madison Hedgecock on Scott Linehan

Postby Chudman82 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:50 am

northwest dave wrote:
Chudman82 wrote:
northwest dave wrote:
Chudman82 wrote:
northwest dave wrote:Should have never let Martz go. Yeah, he was crazy, but the team sure was exciting...and much better!


You realize the Lions let him go too right? Martz is a one-trick pony, albeit a very good one. He is not just pass first, but pass only.


Yes the Lions...a model of a successful franchise. I also know that the Rams were a winning team when Martz was employed by them.


What does it say about you when a bad team doesn't want you to be on their team? And if I recall, Martz and the rest of the Rams management ran the team into the ground. Martz helped, but it wasn't just him.


It means that the Lions aren't very good and are making a mistake. He took a Lions offense from 27th to 15th in two years.

Not sure I agree with this "ran the team into the ground"?
Martz's record is 53-32 with the Rams and the teams were fun to watch. He was a good coach and the team was exciting and winning.


We'll see if any other team picks up Martz this off-season. If a team does get him, I'll wager he won't last more than 2 seasons.

Like I said before, it wasn't just Martz who was responsible for the Rams' decline as a team. He feuded with management, who more than did their share to ruin the team. Martz had great success here but also had a precipitous decline in his last 2 seasons here. Either way, you can't deny that he's a pass only kinda guy, and that strategy will not win many games and will get your offensive linemen and QB hurt.
I am the way...prepare for, Salvation!
- Fear Factory[Smasher/Devourer]
Chudman82
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:14 pm

Re: Madison Hedgecock on Scott Linehan

Postby Ruutu15 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:15 am

Chudman82 wrote:
Or maybe Jackson is a damn good pass catcher. Not to mention Bulger had his best season by far in 06-07, 24 TDs and only 8 INTs, so it's not like the guy didn't throw TD passes to the Rams wideouts. Keep in mind, Bruce is declining, Holt's knee has been damaged for 2 straight seasons now, and he refuses to get it surgically repaired. So neither receiver has any explosiveness off the line and can't separate...which is why they're not open as often as they should be. I'm not saying that Bulger is a great QB by any means, but you have to realize that the Rams receivers aren't anywhere near what they used to be, and if you have to check down to arguably the 2nd best RB in the game and the best pass catching RB in the game, then you do it.


Good points, and like I said, I like Jackson. I'm just not sure I'd put him up there with Marshall Faulk yet.
Image
User avatar
Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White
 
Posts: 6941
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:10 pm
Location: Currently in Cincinnati, OH

Re: Madison Hedgecock on Scott Linehan

Postby Ruutu15 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:17 am

Chudman82 wrote:We'll see if any other team picks up Martz this off-season. If a team does get him, I'll wager he won't last more than 2 seasons.


He's been hired by San Francisco as Offensive Coordinator. Great O-coordinator, not so great head coach.
Image
User avatar
Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White
 
Posts: 6941
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:10 pm
Location: Currently in Cincinnati, OH

Re: Madison Hedgecock on Scott Linehan

Postby Chudman82 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:08 pm

Ruutu15 wrote:
Chudman82 wrote:We'll see if any other team picks up Martz this off-season. If a team does get him, I'll wager he won't last more than 2 seasons.


He's been hired by San Francisco as Offensive Coordinator. Great O-coordinator, not so great head coach.


Good on him. The 2 season countdown begins. We'll see if he lets Frank Gore rot on the field or if he actually plays him.
I am the way...prepare for, Salvation!
- Fear Factory[Smasher/Devourer]
Chudman82
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2003 4:14 pm


Return to Everything Else [OT]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests