Rams Release Isaac Bruce

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Rams Release Isaac Bruce

Post by F Keenan »

Rams Release Isaac Bruce, Gus Frerotte
By R.B. FALLSTROM – 13 hours ago

ST. LOUIS (AP) — For the second time in three years, the St. Louis Rams released wide receiver Isaac Bruce. This time they may be cutting ties for good with the last player remaining from the team's 1995 move from Los Angeles to St. Louis.

"It's a tough choice for the franchise," coach Scott Linehan said on the team's Web site, stlouisrams.com. "It's like anything else. We make decisions as a franchise on the business side and that's the part that makes it the most difficult."

Linehan said the "possibility is always open" for Bruce to re-sign with the Rams.

Bruce's agent, Jimmy Sexton, didn't immediately return a telephone message from the AP.

Gus Frerotte, the backup quarterback the last two seasons, also was released on Thursday. The moves came hours before the start of free agency.

The 35-year-old Bruce had been due a $2 million roster bonus on Friday and the Rams were unsuccessful in attempts to restructure his contract. He signed a $15 million, three-year deal in March 2006, billed as an opportunity to finish his career with the Rams, five days after he was cut in a similar salary cap move.

Bruce is third on the NFL career list with 14,070 yards receiving, trailing only Jerry Rice and Tim Brown. He's sixth in receptions with 942, has been to four Pro Bowls and caught the game-winning touchdown pass from Kurt Warner in the Rams' Super Bowl victory over the Tennessee Titans in 2000.

Bruce was second on the team last season with 55 catches and had a 13.3 yards-per-catch average and four touchdowns. He has eight 1,000-yard seasons with the team and had 119 receptions for 1,781 yards and 13 touchdowns in 1995.

The 36-year-old Frerotte, also a 14-year veteran, made three starts when starter Marc Bulger was sidelined by injury and played in nine games overall in two seasons. Last year, he threw seven touchdown passes with 12 interceptions.

The move frees up $1.9 million heading into free agency while leaving the Rams with only two quarterbacks, Bulger and Brock Berlin, on the roster. Frerotte had been due a $500,000 roster bonus on Friday.

The Rams may be interested in free agent Todd Collins, who played for the Redskins last year when new offensive coordinator Al Saunders was with that team.

On Wednesday, the Rams restructured defensive end Leonard Little's contract to free up more cap space. The team's best pass rusher was hampered by a torn ligament in his left big toe, an injury that limited him to one sack, and ended the year on injured reserve after surgery.
Darkest day in LGB: Other Sports history.
*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Re: Rams Release Isaac Bruce

Post by Ruutu15 »

:x

bluenotekidd
All-Star
All-Star

Post by bluenotekidd »

Looks like Bruce signed with the Forty Whiners:
WR Isaac Bruce signs with Niners

Official LGB Sponsor of EVERYTHING MACINNIS

Stl_Blues_1fan
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by Stl_Blues_1fan »

i dont really care about the NFL...but this does suck...no more BRUUUUUUUUUUUUCE chant...

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

I understand not resigning him, but now that he is with the 49ers..... I want to puke. :evil:

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

I love the Rams, but they got what the deserve. Isaac Bruce should be shown the money for as long as he wants to play. He's earned it. I hope he torches them when he comes back next season (although I hope the 9ers lose). I always want Warner to throw for 400 yards (but lose) when AZ comes back too.

F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star

Post by F Keenan »

Ruutu15 wrote:Isaac Bruce should be shown the money for as long as he wants to play.
He's no Rod Tidwell. :lol:

tsblue
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by tsblue »

Ruutu15 wrote:I love the Rams, but they got what the deserve. Isaac Bruce should be shown the money for as long as he wants to play. He's earned it. I hope he torches them when he comes back next season (although I hope the 9ers lose). I always want Warner to throw for 400 yards (but lose) when AZ comes back too.
Don't buy it...he was paid for every down he played for the Rams, and two years too long at that. They owe him a thanks and good luck in SF.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

tsblue wrote:Don't buy it...he was paid for every down he played for the Rams, and two years too long at that. They owe him a thanks and good luck in SF.
In 2006 Bruce had 1100 yards. In 2007 he had 733 and that was with quarterbacks that couldn't hit the broad side of a bus and an offensive line like Brent Johnson's 5-hole. By week 6 we'll be wishing that he was our #2, because Drew Bennett couldn't be more useless.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

tsblue
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by tsblue »

OS wrote:
tsblue wrote:Don't buy it...he was paid for every down he played for the Rams, and two years too long at that. They owe him a thanks and good luck in SF.
In 2006 Bruce had 1100 yards. In 2007 he had 733 and that was with quarterbacks that couldn't hit the broad side of a bus and an offensive line like Brent Johnson's 5-hole. By week 6 we'll be wishing that he was our #2, because Drew Bennett couldn't be more useless.
You are probably right, but that does not make him worth $5mill. He was great and still is good, but the money just doesn't make sense to me.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

If you look at the other free agent signings, it's going to take you at least $5M to get that level of production out of a free agent wide receiver. Stallworth had Tom Brady throwing to him and didn't get to 700 yards. He got $5M per year for SEVEN years. Bernard Berrian got $7M per year and didn't even hit the 1,000 yard mark last year in Chicago.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

BoxCar
All-Star
All-Star

Post by BoxCar »

Should have kept him, though I'm not sure Drew Bennett is completely written off just yet. He had a few good seasons in TEN and if he regains that he'll be decent. Now if they'd just throw to McMichael occasionally, we'd be in business.

Bruce played well last year and the year before. He has been a Ram his entire career and should have ended as one. Classless play by the Rams.
Official President of the 2011-2012 Sponsorship Committee of the honorable Alex Pietrangelo

_Gassoff
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by _Gassoff »

BoxCar wrote:Bruce played well last year and the year before. He has been a Ram his entire career and should have ended as one.
Why do you hate Rev. Ike?
_Gaﻛs●fƒ №3 -- גסוף --> webpages.charter.net/gassoff/
Subscribe to the SIGNAL 7 DEEP CUTS CLASSIC ROCK PODCAST at: http://signal7.podomatic.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or at the iTunes Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...ic/id580050123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;