New York Yankees

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

New York Yankees

Postby ViPeRx007 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:31 pm

Signing Teixeira settles it. The team is pure evil. Up until now I've just sort of sloughed off the Yankees, not really hating them but not really liking them. After their $424 million in FA signings this offseason they can go to hell. I hope they implode with all of those high dollar ego's on their team.

Might as well sign Manny next.
Image
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
User avatar
ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
 
Posts: 9365
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: Billings, MT

Re: New York Yankees

Postby OS » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:46 pm

I currently hate the Red Sox more than the Yankees, but this offseason could potentially lead to that changing.
Image
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
User avatar
OS
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 27094
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:25 am
Location: Section 301

Re: New York Yankees

Postby Mellanby_equals_grit » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:49 pm

I never really understood why people measure contracts in terms of the total throughout it.. I mean if I signed a 3-year contract at my job (not that my job even does contracts) I wouldn't say that the 3-year figure is what i'm getting paid.. That said yeah I hate the Yankees but somehow the Red Sox and their fans have shown themselves as bigger douches.
Image

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan
User avatar
Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:48 pm
Location: 55 n Inbev

Re: New York Yankees

Postby stlmark » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:43 am

Some people actually have said that the Yankees spending is good for baseball. For example, Kevin Kennedy on XM. Why would this be good for baseball? :doh: It's f*cking ridiculous!
LGB sponsor of Vladimir Sobotka
User avatar
stlmark
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:12 am
Location: over there ---->

Re: New York Yankees

Postby Leedog » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:21 am

It's not so much the Yankees, but the system they exist in. The market allows them to charge outrageous prices for tix and still sell them. So go for it. At least they are putting the money back into the product and at least trying to give their fans the best team possible for their money. Unlike some other teams I know.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12
User avatar
Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 3323
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 3:00 pm
Location: sec 316

Re: New York Yankees

Postby ViPeRx007 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:06 pm

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:I never really understood why people measure contracts in terms of the total throughout it.. I mean if I signed a 3-year contract at my job (not that my job even does contracts) I wouldn't say that the 3-year figure is what i'm getting paid.. That said yeah I hate the Yankees but somehow the Red Sox and their fans have shown themselves as bigger douches.


Go year by year then. Either way they're way in front of everyone else. Not that it necessarily makes them the best team but they're spending is pretty ridiculous. I don't know the exact numbers but I'd guess that per season the Yankees now have more wrapped up in A-Rod, CC, Tex than most teams have on their whole roster. That's not including Burnett, Jeter, etc. etc.
Image
2013-2014 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
2012-2013 Official LGB Sponsor of Ryan Reaves
2011-2012 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
User avatar
ViPeRx007
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow
 
Posts: 9365
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:08 pm
Location: Billings, MT

Re: New York Yankees

Postby tsblue » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:03 pm

ViPeRx007 wrote:
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:I never really understood why people measure contracts in terms of the total throughout it.. I mean if I signed a 3-year contract at my job (not that my job even does contracts) I wouldn't say that the 3-year figure is what i'm getting paid.. That said yeah I hate the Yankees but somehow the Red Sox and their fans have shown themselves as bigger douches.


Go year by year then. Either way they're way in front of everyone else. Not that it necessarily makes them the best team but they're spending is pretty ridiculous. I don't know the exact numbers but I'd guess that per season the Yankees now have more wrapped up in A-Rod, CC, Tex than most teams have on their whole roster. That's not including Burnett, Jeter, etc. etc.


Don't care...they have not done jack in several years, in spite of espn's effort to make it appear otherwise. Maybe one of the three pans out...call Pavano and ask his opinion.
User avatar
tsblue
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
 
Posts: 3013
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:55 am
Location: the shoe

Re: New York Yankees

Postby Mellanby_equals_grit » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:17 pm

What bothers me about this is that (and I don't know baseball close enough to know if it transfers over) when one team wants to guarantee they get the best FAs out there and waaay overspends that then becomes "market value" in someone else's arbitration.. When clearly the markets are different.
Image

"Hey MEG, I'm a Playoff Challenge Champion and you aren't. If you're so GD smart, why the hell haven't you won one?" -WestCoastSpedFan
User avatar
Mellanby_equals_grit
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
 
Posts: 13357
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:48 pm
Location: 55 n Inbev

Re: New York Yankees

Postby StillBleedingBlue » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:42 pm

As an Oriole fan who wanted Teixiera because he believed all the smoke the dude blew about wanting to play for the Orioles, the Yankees and Teixiera can go rim each other. Cocksnouts.
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:Habeus Corpus is for suckaz!
User avatar
StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:57 pm
Location: St. Chuck

Re: New York Yankees

Postby glen a richter » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:25 pm

At the end of the day, what matters is what those guys are going to do on the field and all the money in the world won't necessarily buy a world series caliber team. Just go ahead and ask the Rays. The Yankees spend money like drunken sailors because they have the money and everyone knows that they're going to have a packed house every game because the typical Yankees fan is permanently attached to the late 90's and is painfully loyal to their team assuming that they have big price tag players coming in to renew hope from season to season.

They've all but given up on the Hughes/Kennedy experiment which means that those two kids are probably going to end up elsewhere to have good careers while the guys who got contracts which are way too long go for broke now and may or may not, but probably won't, get it done. This is why I'm a recovering Yankees fan. They're going right back to the crap they did in the 80's. In the 90's when they were winning, it was with homegrown and character guys, generally. Put Hank and Hal in charge 15 years ago and Derek Jeter, Mo Rivera and Jorge Posada are all playing in 3 different cities. They abandoned the concept of growing your own players because the typical Yankee fan got hooked on winning and when the winning stopped, they demanded high priced free agents to put an end to the losing and kept coming back to make sure they had the money to do it.
Official sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
Official sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
Official sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7197
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: New York Yankees

Postby OS » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:35 pm

stlmark wrote:Some people actually have said that the Yankees spending is good for baseball. For example, Kevin Kennedy on XM. Why would this be good for baseball? :doh: It's f*cking ridiculous!


These are the same people that think that a cap is a bad thing for the NHL.... which generally were Leafs and Wings fans.
Image
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie
User avatar
OS
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 27094
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:25 am
Location: Section 301

Re: New York Yankees

Postby dmiles2186 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:03 am

The Yankees don't get it and apparently never will. They're playing fantasy baseball...and that hasn't worked for the last 8 years, which they seem to think is an eternity since their last title. Look at that mid-90's dynasty...Jeter, Posada, Rivera, Bernie Williams...some of their top players were home grown. They had role players like Scott Brosius and Jim Leyritz that came through in big spots. Tino Martinez and Paul O'Neill weren't the best of the best, but they got the job done. Same for David Wells and David Cone...guys like that on their pitching staff.

The point...the Yankees built a dynasty by the right mix of homegrown talent, role players, and borderline stars. Rivera and Jeter became the superstars of those teams if you think about it. Now, the Yankees trip over themselves trying to pick up every big name free agent out there, and it usually backfires. Anyone remember Carl Pavano? Jaret Wright? Giambi was a bust. The list could go on and on....

The Yankees are terrible for baseball. They're annoying. They're the reason that guys like Jason Marquis are making $7 million a season because they continue to drive salaries up. Their media and their fans are annoying. A-Rod is more of a tabloid star than a baseball players these days. And Derek Jeter has herpies.

I don't like the Yankees and the Red Sox are turning into their little brothers, which is ironic because those two teams hate each other. Anyway, sorry for ranting.
Image

Official 2013-2014 Sponsor Extraordinaire of Alex "Petro" Pietrangelo
User avatar
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 5866
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:29 am
Location: Selling Air Bombays--for kids who want to coach

Re: New York Yankees

Postby glen a richter » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:33 pm

Mariano Duncan, now there was a team player. Nothing like these overpaid primadonnas they have on the team now.

If they could go back to building teams like they did in the 90's, I could go back to being a fan, but as long as they're going to spend everyone out of the market for every big name that comes along, and drive up ticket prices to pay for their baggage, screw them.
Official sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
Official sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
Official sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God
 
Posts: 7197
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: New York Yankees

Postby WaukeeBlues » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:00 pm

At least everyone has a solid reason to hate them again.
Image
User avatar
WaukeeBlues
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame
 
Posts: 4660
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:00 pm
Location: Phi Alpha

Re: New York Yankees

Postby F Keenan » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:35 am

OS wrote:I currently hate the Red Sox more than the Yankees



++

I wear a Yankees cap, not because I like the Yankees, but because there is no better way to show hatred for the Red Sox.
Image

*I tend to only post on this site when I'm intoxicated.
User avatar
F Keenan
All-Star
All-Star
 
Posts: 2179
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:10 am
Location: Kirkwood, MO

Re: New York Yankees

Postby tsblue » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:24 am

dmiles2186 wrote:The Yankees don't get it and apparently never will. They're playing fantasy baseball...and that hasn't worked for the last 8 years, which they seem to think is an eternity since their last title. Look at that mid-90's dynasty...Jeter, Posada, Rivera, Bernie Williams...some of their top players were home grown. They had role players like Scott Brosius and Jim Leyritz that came through in big spots. Tino Martinez and Paul O'Neill weren't the best of the best, but they got the job done. Same for David Wells and David Cone...guys like that on their pitching staff.

The point...the Yankees built a dynasty by the right mix of homegrown talent, role players, and borderline stars. Rivera and Jeter became the superstars of those teams if you think about it. Now, the Yankees trip over themselves trying to pick up every big name free agent out there, and it usually backfires. Anyone remember Carl Pavano? Jaret Wright? Giambi was a bust. The list could go on and on....

The Yankees are terrible for baseball. They're annoying. They're the reason that guys like Jason Marquis are making $7 million a season because they continue to drive salaries up. Their media and their fans are annoying. A-Rod is more of a tabloid star than a baseball players these days. And Derek Jeter has herpies.

I don't like the Yankees and the Red Sox are turning into their little brothers, which is ironic because those two teams hate each other. Anyway, sorry for ranting.


QFA+++
User avatar
tsblue
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue
 
Posts: 3013
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 8:55 am
Location: the shoe


Return to Everything Else [OT]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron