World Cup 2014

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

World Cup 2014

Postby dmiles2186 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:19 am

We've officially got our World Cup Groups and the US drew a tough, tough, tough group. Good God.

Group A

Brazil
Croatia
Mexico
Cameroon

Group B

Spain
Netherlands
Chile
Australia

Group C

Colombia
Greece
Côte d'Ivoire
Japan

Group D

Uruguay
Costa Rica
England
Italy

Group E

Switzerland
Ecuador
France
Honduras

Group F

Argentina
Bosnia-Herzegovina
Iran
Nigeria

Group G

Germany
Portugal
Ghana
USA

Group H

Belgium
Algeria
Russia
Korea Republic

Official 2013-2014 Sponsor Extraordinaire of Alex "Petro" Pietrangelo
dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Re: World Cup 2014

Postby cardsfan04 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:11 pm

I've heard our best shot might be to go 1-1-1 with a win over Ghana and a draw against Portugal. That sucks. We're supposed to have a good team by US standards.
2010-2011 Official LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk
cardsfan04
All-Star
All-Star

Postby dmiles2186 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:01 am

cardsfan04 wrote:I've heard our best shot might be to go 1-1-1 with a win over Ghana and a draw against Portugal. That sucks. We're supposed to have a good team by US standards.

This past calendar year was one of the best I've ever witnessed from the US. They started the year on rocky ground, but they went on, I believe, a 13 game winning streak. Aside from early in the year, they dominated World Cup qualifying. So to get this draw was absolutely gutting. You are probably right, best case scenario is to go 1-1-1, but the issue is that Ghana has our number. They've knocked us out of the last two World Cups. Maybe this is the year. But if the US lose that first game against Ghana, they're going to have a long, tough road to make it to the knockout stage.

The positives are that Portugal barely qualified for the Cup, and even though they've got Ronaldo, if the US plays their best ball, we might have a shot in that one. And even though it was a friendly, and really they brought their B team, we beat Germany this past year. But ultimately, I think the US thrives in an underdog role. And from all the interviews I've seen from players and Klinsmann, they're driving that point home and seem ready to stand up to the challenge.

Ultimately, it was a tough draw, but if the US can make it out of the group stage, then I wouldn't count them out of anything. There always seems to be Cinderellas in the World Cup, and who is to say it's not the red, white, and blue?

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Postby glen a richter » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:12 pm

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Official sponsor of Ian Cole 2011-2012
Official sponsor of Gary Bettman's Pink Slip 2013
Official sponsor of Dmitrij Jaskin 2013-2014
glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Postby dmiles2186 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:39 pm

glen a richter wrote:Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Or it's literally the biggest sporting even in the world. Whatever you want to call it.

dmiles2186
Hockey God
Hockey God

Postby JesusNEVERexisted » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:04 pm

Whoa! We're in the group of death! I tried to watch sucker and basebarf but fell asleep! :lol:

Pele just said only 2 of 13 airports in Brazil are ready for the World Cup! This could be a disaster! But I will watch some games since it's the biggest sporting event on earth.
JesusNEVERexisted
Rookie
Rookie

Return to Everything Else [OT]