Pronger Traded!!

A collection of some of the best threads evar!!!

Moderator: LGB Mods

Rocketpop
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by Rocketpop »

sanscrit wrote:This is a good move from a business perspective. You avoid a long-term committment to pronger and get smaller contracts to younger players. Pleau/Laurie are getting this team in a position to sell and at this point it is looking good. Weight and Tkachuk are probably available to any team that wants them and might make good deadline chips. I'm not sure whats left on Weight's contract, but with Tkachuk looking to take a big pay cut next season he should be a hot commodity. There is no point in the Blues keeping him around if they are going to field the team that they have.

At this point I think that our focus as blues fans is to hope that we get something out of Weight and Tkachuk at the deadline and we get a good owner ASAP.

Does anyone know if a team acquires a player at the deadline if his entire contract value counts against hte cap or just hte remaining balance?
Remaining Balance.
Signature removed by cprice12: Suggestive Avatar

The Red Baron
Prospect
Prospect

Post by The Red Baron »

You are all looking at this the wrong way. Brewer is a restricted free agent. So essentially the Blues have traded Pronger for the chance to sign a free agent (Because there aren’t very many of those around :roll: ) and two minor leaguers.

The Blues would have been better off letting him walk and taking the four first round compensation picks. (That is if they’d use them to pick someone who was not projected to go in the third or fourth round.)

So in the end we get near nothing for Scott Stevens.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

The Red Baron wrote:You are all looking at this the wrong way. Brewer is a restricted free agent. So essentially the Blues have traded Pronger for the chance to sign a free agent (Because there aren’t very many of those around :roll: ) and two minor leaguers.

The Blues would have been better off letting him walk and taking the four first round compensation picks. (That is if they’d use them to pick someone who was not projected to go in the third or fourth round.)

You might want to do a little more research on how compensation works before formulating your opinion. The ONLY way the Blues wuold have gotten 4 1st round picks is if Pronger accepted an offer over $5M from another team and the Blues not matched it. Considering teams never offer RFA's contracts, the chances of that happening were pretty much zero. Had the Blues let Pronger walk, they would have gotten absolutely nothing.

As for the "two minor leaguers", you're talking about two minor league defenseman with a decent amount of potential. Typically we call them prospects.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

big d note
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by big d note »

It sucks that we won't ever see Pronger in the Bluenote again, but I'm glad that Pleau pulled the trigger on this deal now rather than waiting until the trade deadline. For one thing, we get move value for him now and save payroll, but we also avoid the headache of that looming deadline and how it would have affected Pronger's play and the rest of the team. It would've been a huge distraction, as someone pointed out the other day. Now we get to start the season fresh with our new lineup and just work on building our team.
Official Sponsor of Ray Barile
[Dooger] 9:10 am: That David [Backes] is a cool dude.
RIP Pavol Demitra - I hope you are "so hoppy" wherever you are now

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

Bye bye Pronger.

Not sure how I feel about this. I need to see Wykiwowow in action.

barnburner
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by barnburner »

The Red Baron wrote:You are all looking at this the wrong way. Brewer is a restricted free agent. So essentially the Blues have traded Pronger for the chance to sign a free agent (Because there aren’t very many of those around :roll: ) and two minor leaguers.

1. As a RFA, he cannot just "walk". He has to be given an offer from another team, and with the importance of high draft picks under the new system, nobody was about to give up 4 first round picks for anybody.

2. If the Blues let him walk at the end of the season as a UFA - there would be no compensation involved.

3. If Brewer declines to sign a l/t deal with the Blues, they can simply let him walk at the end of the year, then use that money to sign a replacement as good or better from a draft pool that will start at age 29.

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

I hate to see Pronger go, but I really like this trade. Look at the size of the Blues D now. Jackman is one of the smaller guys. We got 2 basically first round draft picks (Lynch is close enough) and a proven stud defenseman for an injury prone aging former Hart winner (to describe him the worst way possible). Look at our D for the years to come.

Jackman 6'0 209 lbs
Brewer 6'3" 220lbs
Backman 6'3" 208 lbs
Walker 6'3" 227lbs
Woywitka 6'2" 209 lbs
Lynch 6'3" 214 lbs

That is a scary blueline.

Now take Weights contract off the books by trading him at the deadline for a young forward. KT goes down to 3.4 mil next year (or you can take him off the books too) That opens alot of cap space for FA signings next year and next years crop of forwards is better than this years.

Before anyone says that Woywitka and Lynch are not worthy, notice that Woywitka is a first round draft pick that was expected to play for the Oil this year. He was very high on Phillys depth chart and was considered to be one of their, if not their, best prospect. Go to some Oil message boards and notice that their fans are more upset at losing Lynch than they are Woywitka. I think it is very reasonable to expect them to play for the Blues relatively soon.

James636
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by James636 »

ERIC BREWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The only way it could be better is if Jim Hughson were becoming the Blues' play-by-play announcer. :)

Seriously, WAY TO GO PLEAU.
Last edited by James636 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You f-cking got balls, you f-cking tit f-cker?"
-Bryan Trottier, to Brian Bellows, 1991 Stanley Cup Finals

http://66.98.192.76/broadstreetbully.com/bellows1.mpg

kodos
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by kodos »

I'm hearing on another board that Pronger signed a 5-year 6.25 million dollar deal.

The Red Baron
Prospect
Prospect

Post by The Red Baron »

OS wrote:You might want to do a little more research on how compensation works before formulating your opinion. The ONLY way the Blues wuold have gotten 4 1st round picks is if Pronger accepted an offer over $5M from another team and the Blues not matched it. Considering teams never offer RFA's contracts, the chances of that happening were pretty much zero. Had the Blues let Pronger walk, they would have gotten absolutely nothing.

As for the "two minor leaguers", you're talking about two minor league defenseman with a decent amount of potential. Typically we call them prospects.
So you think no team would sign Chris Pronger? Teams salivate for players like him.

Perhaps in the new landscape they wouldn’t, but the Blues had until December to trade him or sign him (before he wouldn’t be allowed to play for the rest of the year). I’ll grant that teams payrolls will be filling up toward the cap the farther. But why not let him dangle a while? At least get a player that is already signed.
/trb

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

James636 wrote:ERIC BREWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The only way it could be better is if Jim Hughson were becoming the Blues' play-by-play announcer. :)

Seriously, WAY TO GO PLEAU.
I knew you'd love this deal....

... but I still think Brewer is overrated. :wink:

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

The Red Baron wrote:So you think no team would sign Chris Pronger? Teams salivate for players like him.
I could be wrong about this, but I believe the Blues are the ONLY team ever to sign a RFA and give up the draft picks.

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

kodos wrote:I'm hearing on another board that Pronger signed a 5-year 6.25 million dollar deal.
His average will be $5.5M...a year...I heard his price starts higher and reduces but the deal was $27.5M total...New CBA counts on an average of the entire contract...
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

Essembi
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Essembi »

I like this trade for both teams. Edmonton gets Pronger and the Blues get Brewer and two young d-men that they can develop and hold onto for 8 or so years.
To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men. Ella Wheeler Wilcox
:firedevil: GET FLAMED!!!

BringBackZezel
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by BringBackZezel »

Solid pickup for Pronger when the alternative was losing him for nothing.

I think the team still needs a couple of scoring wingers, but this is a decent move.

My only question now is who is going to provide leadership in defense? Eric Weinrich?

A couple things to think about:

1. If the rumors of Prongers leadership being questionable, then this might be a positive move for the franchise.
2. "The Patrick Ewing Theory" - if You're a Bill Simmons fan, you'll understand this.
[Aode] 10:34 pm: well, if I find cornhole anywhere, I'll try it and let you know

Misc. Blues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Misc. Blues »

Essembi wrote:I like this trade for both teams. Edmonton gets Pronger and the Blues get Brewer and two young d-men that they can develop and hold onto for 8 or so years.
It's a good deal but it just sucks to lose Pronger...if Tkachuk was gone this might not sting so bad...
2016-2017 official sponsor of Alex Pietrangelo (aka Captain Pie)
2015-2016 official sponsor of Jori Lehtera (aka Yorry)
2014-2015 official sponsor of Jay Bouwmeester (aka Jay-bo)
I hate the Shitcago "Black Holes"©®™...they really suck that much...
The Detoilet "dude bangs" ©®™... suck too...repeatedly and more often... ;)

icing11
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by icing11 »

I'd like to read the Oiler fan's comments. Can someone please post a link to their message boards?

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

BringBackZezel wrote:My only question now is who is going to provide leadership in defense? Eric Weinrich?
This was my biggest fear about losing Pronger. I think it's time for the Blues to get MacInnis on the team in some capacity.

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

I'm a little surprised we got 3 defensemen, but I like Brewer a lot, and I think Woywitka will compliment Jackman very well (Woywitka being offensive-minded, and Jackman being all defense).

At least we won't have to hear about how Pronger is a cancer in the lockerroom anymore. Even when they gave MacInnis the 'C', it was still Pronger's team in many ways. Maybe this will free Weight to take his play to the next level.

Blueline29
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Blueline29 »

ksbluesfan wrote:At least we won't have to hear about how Pronger is a cancer in the lockerroom anymore. Even when they gave MacInnis the 'C', it was still Pronger's team in many ways. Maybe this will free Weight to take his play to the next level.
I was thinking about this last night...didn't somebody say something here back in the day about how Mac had been quoted (off the record, obviously) as saying something to the effect of "If they give him back the C when he returns, we're fucked"?