Tracking the Improbable...

A collection of some of the best threads evar!!!

Moderator: LGB Mods

ledzeppelinfan1
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Post by ledzeppelinfan1 »

Hollywood wrote:
ledzeppelinfan1 wrote:BBZ...you're acting like a child...and ruining what was a really good thread.

Thanks for the non-contribution...both in your views on the team and your childish inane attitude.

Hey David Duke, BBZ has contributed more to the board in this lone thread than you have in the entire board over the last few years.
He has contributed more in a thread that I created???

Uhm...ok. :roll:

execwrite
All-Star
All-Star

Post by execwrite »

For the people who KNOW the Blues won't make the playoffs this year -

what other unknowable things do you know?

thanks

Tezmyster
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Tezmyster »

Hollywood wrote:1- The Blues will not make the playoffs this year.
I wouldn't say that, I'd say judging by recent performances they've got a pretty decent chance at making the playoffs.
Hollywood wrote:2- The Blues do not have enough talent to win the cup right now.
I'd probably agree with that, but I've put $20 on them at 200-1 just in case :lol:

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

Hollywood wrote:
OS wrote:Since BBZ refuses (or is incapable) of answering a simple question....

Those of you who think the Blues should continue to go for #1 picks, how many more seasons should they suck before they should start trying to win the Cup?

(Hmm, I just realized that BBZ might be the only one who is obsessed with this idea, so I might not get any answers. Damn.)
If it was as cut and dry as you are making it out to be, everyone would have a cup by now. There is no concrete answer to that. Things we do know.......

1- The Blues will not make the playoffs this year.
2- The Blues do not have enough talent to win the cup right now.

If we take these two things as fact (which they are) then you must also assume that....

1- Keeping the same team they have now will not enable them to win the cup in the future.
2- If you want to improve your team, you get assets to help do so

Now, you have 2 ways to get those assetts.....

1- The draft
2- Trading away assets that are not going to enable you to win, but may help others.

With the draft, obviously the best players go early. If you have 2 choices, Miss the playoffs and pick 3rd or miss the playoffs and pick 15th...which do you choose?

With trading players....you can let a player like Billy Guerin
-walk for nothing
-resign and continue to lose
-trade and get value to win in the future

The Blues do not have enough talent right now for a player like Bill Guerin, Kieth Tkachuk, Doug Weight, or Martin Rucinsky to help them. The best thing for the Blues is to trade those players and get assetts for them that will enable them to acquire enough talent to win in the future.

With a good draft this year and a good off season this year, maybe next year you become buyers. Maybe that is "long enough to suck" before trying to win. Maybe not. We won't know until it happens. If not, then you do it all again and it takes another year.

What we do know is this is not the year.

[/u]
This year, I'd rather pick 13th.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

73.6%

BringBackZezel
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by BringBackZezel »

OS wrote:This year, I'd rather pick 13th.
Anyone who's there at 13 can also be picked before that.

Why is 13 your magic number?
[Aode] 10:34 pm: well, if I find cornhole anywhere, I'll try it and let you know

BringBackZezel
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by BringBackZezel »

Tezmyster wrote:
Hollywood wrote:1- The Blues will not make the playoffs this year.
I wouldn't say that, I'd say judging by recent performances they've got a pretty decent chance at making the playoffs.
How decent a chance?

I'll bet you $100 that they do not make the playoffs.

That same offer goes for everyone.
[Aode] 10:34 pm: well, if I find cornhole anywhere, I'll try it and let you know

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

BringBackZezel wrote:

13 isn't a magic number. I thought that was the number he used but he said 15th. The point is that I'd rather start building a winning team than lose for the difference between a top 5 pick and a pick in the teams this year. That's wonderful if you think otherwise, don't really care, that's just my opinion.

BringBackZezel
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by BringBackZezel »

OS wrote:
BringBackZezel wrote:

13 isn't a magic number. I thought that was the number he used but he said 15th. The point is that I'd rather start building a winning team than lose for the difference between a top 5 pick and a pick in the teams this year. That's wonderful if you think otherwise, don't really care, that's just my opinion.
If you're picking 13th, you're not in the playoffs and you don't get to pick on the 12 best prospects available.

How is that better than not making the playoffs and picking first overall?

You do know that a wins don't carry over to next season, don't you?

ledzeppelinfan1
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

(8-2-3 .731 +3.9%)

We're doing just fine.

BringBackZezel
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by BringBackZezel »

ledzeppelinfan1 wrote:(8-2-3 .731 +3.9%)

We're doing just fine.
If you have to pick and choose your sampling to make your case, then it's not a very good case to begin with.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

BringBackZezel wrote:If you're picking 13th, you're not in the playoffs and you don't get to pick on the 12 best prospects available.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said I didn't care if you didn't agree? <b>I</b> think it would be better for the organization as a whole to finish the season strong than the difference between a top 5 pick and a pick in the teens.

BringBackZezel
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by BringBackZezel »

OS wrote:
BringBackZezel wrote:If you're picking 13th, you're not in the playoffs and you don't get to pick on the 12 best prospects available.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said I didn't care if you didn't agree? <b>I</b> think it would be better for the organization as a whole to finish the season strong than the difference between a top 5 pick and a pick in the teens.
If you really didn't care, why did you reply?

ledzeppelinfan1
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

BringBackZezel wrote:

We're doing just fine.
If you have to pick and choose your sampling to make your case, then it's not a very good case to begin with.
Read the first post in the thread. I started at what pace they would need from the 30 game marker going forward to reach a given amount of points (90)...and we are ahead of that pace. Why not start when they STARTED to play well and move from there, seems to me that a sampling that did not include ALL of their solid play would be a weak sample.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

BringBackZezel wrote:
OS wrote:

You want to go to the next Blues game with me? I'd love to actually see you in misery as the Blues keep winning games.

BringBackZezel
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by BringBackZezel »

ledzeppelinfan1 wrote:
BringBackZezel wrote:

We're doing just fine.
Read the first post in the thread. I started at what pace they would need from the 30 game marker going forward to reach a given amount of points (90)...and we are ahead of that pace. Why not start when they STARTED to play well and move from there, seems to me that a sampling that did not include ALL of their solid play would be a weak sample.
Or you could just take their body of work as a whole, and not only the part you like to make your point. Are you trying to make the case the the first 30 games of the season didn't count?

BringBackZezel
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by BringBackZezel »

OS wrote:
BringBackZezel wrote:
OS wrote:

You want to go to the next Blues game with me? I'd love to actually see you in misery as the Blues keep winning games.
While I appreciate your offer, I will pass. Thank you, though.

ledzeppelinfan1
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

BringBackZezel wrote:
ledzeppelinfan1 wrote:
BringBackZezel wrote:

We're doing just fine.
Or you could just take their body of work as a whole, and not only the part you like to make your point. Are you trying to make the case the the first 30 games of the season didn't count?
Why would I take into account the first 30 games when trying to see how well they would need to play after a coaching change had made such a difference?

Why do things only have to be looked at one way? Yours? Or do you dislike that when using my model this team is right on track for a probable playoff birth?

Even though I too doubt we will actually make it, I made this model which put our chances in the most positive light.

So, now what? And don't not answer me.

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

ledzeppelinfan1 wrote:
Hollywood wrote:
ledzeppelinfan1 wrote:BBZ...you're acting like a child...and ruining what was a really good thread.

Thanks for the non-contribution...both in your views on the team and your childish inane attitude.

Hey David Duke, BBZ has contributed more to the board in this lone thread than you have in the entire board over the last few years.

Yes. Yes he has. No question.

ledzeppelinfan1
2nd Line Scorer
2nd Line Scorer

Hollywood wrote:
ledzeppelinfan1 wrote:
Hollywood wrote:

Yes. Yes he has. No question.
Well lets give him a big f**kin' cookie. :banana: