Insulation question:

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Insulation question:

Post by deadphish »

So my new house (54 yrs old) was not built with insulation. The prior owner installed pieces of insulation above the foundation, in between the wood beams/joists in the basement. Anything else I can do to save on energy bills besides the obvious stuff? The only really cold room is the MBR which faces s/sw.
Official LGB Sponsor TJ Oshie

Nsane2Bme
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Nsane2Bme »

Define "obvious stuff" - because there might be other things out there that is not so "obvious" to you.

More info is needed.
John Davidson: "We're not dismantling the team ... we're building a team. That's what the fans want. The fans we talked to wanted to build a big strong team for the future. This is what ownership has promised when we got here in July."

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

Only a tool buys a house that isn't insulated.
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

Nsane2Bme wrote:Define "obvious stuff" - because there might be other things out there that is not so "obvious" to you.

More info is needed.
Well we don't set the thermostat too high of course. 68-70 degrees depending on what's comfortable. I let as much natural light in during the time by opening blinds.

Oh and I forgot to mention the attic is loaded with new insulation (sprayed). It's a 3br ranch.

deadphish
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by deadphish »

goon attack wrote:Only a tool buys a house that isn't insulated.
The house isn't perfect, but it was the most bang for the buck we could find after looking at 30+ over the course of 6 months.

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

deadphish wrote:
goon attack wrote:Only a tool buys a house that isn't insulated.
The house isn't perfect, but it was the most bang for the buck we could find after looking at 30+ over the course of 6 months.
We looked at well over 100.

But then again, I have an obsessive personality. ;)

godspeed my friend. Rip out the walls and pad that puppy up.

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

You don't have to rip out the walls. Just get someone to spray insulation in behind your drywall.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

OS wrote:You don't have to rip out the walls. Just get someone to spray insulation in behind your drywall.
or that. I thought my way was more fun

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

You have to be careful about that. If the walls are plaster, you may not be able to spray in insulation, though I forget the reason for that.

Nsane2Bme
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Nsane2Bme »

deadphish wrote:
Nsane2Bme wrote:Define "obvious stuff" - because there might be other things out there that is not so "obvious" to you.

More info is needed.
Well we don't set the thermostat too high of course. 68-70 degrees depending on what's comfortable. I let as much natural light in during the time by opening blinds.

Oh and I forgot to mention the attic is loaded with new insulation (sprayed). It's a 3br ranch.
What's the rating and how thick is the insulation sprayed?

Where is the problem? Around the windows mainly?

What kind of windows do you have?
John Davidson: "We're not dismantling the team ... we're building a team. That's what the fans want. The fans we talked to wanted to build a big strong team for the future. This is what ownership has promised when we got here in July."

Nsane2Bme
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Nsane2Bme »

ksbluesfan wrote:You have to be careful about that. If the walls are plaster, you may not be able to spray in insulation, though I forget the reason for that.
We had plaster walls in our old house - the only reason we didn't spray the insulation in the walls was patching on the inside would have looked like complete shit and SD was too lazy to attempt to do it from the outside (taking off some siding to get it to spray into the walls). The guy that was going to do it at the time didn't mention any reason why we couldn't spray it in the walls (this was thru Laclede btw).