board fraternity membership

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

board fraternity membership

Post by WaukeeBlues »

Any of you guys go greek in college or are rushing right now or anything?

Thoughts on fraternities in general?
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

If you like wearing plaid shorts with polo shirts, a Corona visor, and act like a feg 99% of the time, frats are for you.

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by StillBleedingBlue »

Ruutu15 wrote:If you like wearing plaid shorts with polo shirts, a Corona visor, and act like a feg 99% of the time, frats are for you.
++

If you like paying to make friends, frats are for you.
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote: Habeus Corpus is for suckaz!

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

StillBleedingBlue wrote:
Ruutu15 wrote:If you like wearing plaid shorts with polo shirts, a Corona visor, and act like a feg 99% of the time, frats are for you.
++

damn :lol:

so you both would consider them all one and the same I'm assuming?

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
StillBleedingBlue wrote:
++

I guess it wouldn't be fair to say that....but I guess it is kinda how I see them.

StillBleedingBlue
1st Line Sniper
1st Line Sniper

Post by StillBleedingBlue »

Ruutu15 wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
StillBleedingBlue wrote:
++

I guess it wouldn't be fair to say that....but I guess it is kinda how I see them.
I said those same reasons to a frat guy on New Year's Eve, and he kept trying to tell me that I didn't understand how the "fraternity equals life, man".
Mellanby_equals_grit wrote: Habeus Corpus is for suckaz!

the knob
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Re: board fraternity membership

Post by the knob »

WaukeeBlues wrote:Any of you guys go greek in college or are rushing right now or anything?

Thoughts on fraternities in general?
greek == cornhole

Chudman82
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Chudman82 »

There are good and bad frats out there, just like anything else. But without question, you typically end up hanging out with the same group of people all the time, thus the "brotherhood." At least make sure if you join, get in one that has good connections for networking; which typically means that they will probably cost a lot too. But on the flip side, there'll be lots of events, you'll have your choice of attractive girls who are in sororities that join the frats in these events.

So yea, if you do join, at least get some pussy and a good job out of it.
I am the way...prepare for, Salvation!
- Fear Factory[Smasher/Devourer]

Guppy
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Guppy »

What I have seen is that at some schools it is good to be in them but then others it is not. My brother and I went to school in the south and it is the thing to do down there.
Sponsor of TJ Oshie & his benders

ohio BLUES
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ohio BLUES »

Fraternities at my school played cornhole a lot. So, maybe you could try it and let us know.
Official LGB.com Sponsor of Gymrat Ken Hitchcock

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

First of all, ignore the stereotypes. Every fraternity is different and in every fraternity there are plenty of different types of people. And anyone who ever says that you're paying for friends clearly hasn't been around a fraternity. As you'd suspect, when you get 50 guys together in an organization there are plenty of cliques within the organization and plenty of people that don't like each other. Hell, there were some people in mine I would have paid to go away.

Whether it's for you, that's for you to decide. If you are considering it, check out all the fraternities on your campus. Don't just go to their rush events where they put on a front, actually hang out with some guys to see how they really act ... that's the best way to find the one that's right for you.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

SteveO
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by SteveO »

OS wrote:First of all, ignore the stereotypes. Every fraternity is different and in every fraternity there are plenty of different types of people. And anyone who ever says that you're paying for friends clearly hasn't been around a fraternity. As you'd suspect, when you get 50 guys together in an organization there are plenty of cliques within the organization and plenty of people that don't like each other. Hell, there were some people in mine I would have paid to go away.

Whether it's for you, that's for you to decide. If you are considering it, check out all the fraternities on your campus. Don't just go to their rush events where they put on a front, actually hang out with some guys to see how they really act ... that's the best way to find the one that's right for you.
That pretty much sums it up. I was in a fraternity in college and loved it. Chapters definitely vary from campus to campus so do what OS suggested and try to check them out on your own if you can. Rush events are usually just ass kissing layered over more ass kissing.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

I didn't actually start the thread to ask advice on it (although I agree its good advice to be sure), I'm already in one and love it.

I had a lot of the same opinions that Ruutu, etc have. I thought they were all assholes and I didn't want to converse with any of them and there were only a few exceptions. With MY fraternity, it isn't pricy (right now only about $400 a semester; next to nothing compared to most fraternities on campus), they are really good guys and completely non-stereotypical in all the negative ways (for instance we don't haze, roofie women's drinks, etc) and those are the same ways that I assumed all fraternities were shit organizations that I didn't want to be a part of. Many are, but not all and I got lucky and found one that I can be proud to say I'm a member of.

As far as the fraternity being "your life" and "your only friends" I think that concept is blown way out of proportion. As with anything you can be as involved or as little involved and skim by on the minimum as you want. All that's REQUIRED for my fraternity to be "in good standing" is payment of dues and one meeting a week- thats it. The rest is how much you want to get out of the experience and how much you like the people and/or CHOOSE to hang out with them. The choice is yours. Fraternity brothers aren't your only friends and I don't know a fraternity that says you can't have friends outside the brotherhood- its just different friendship- not a replacement thereof.

I just started the thread wondering how many went greek and what fraternities they went to, that was really it :lol:

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Post by Ruutu15 »

Waukee, it sounds like you're in it for the right reasons, though. The people I'm referring to are those who DO fit into the stereotype...and there are a lot of them, even some of my friends.

By the way, are you in Bloomington?

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

Pledging loyalty to a bunch of assholes that will forget your name a month after they failed out of their last semester?

:lol:

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

Ruutu15 wrote:Waukee, it sounds like you're in it for the right reasons, though. The people I'm referring to are those who DO fit into the stereotype...and there are a lot of them, even some of my friends.

By the way, are you in Bloomington?
Perhaps the stereotype you're referring to is the general attitude and style of many 18-22 year old males in this country, because I know plenty of people who fit that stereotype that were never in a fraternity.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

Frats = buying friends, and frankly I'm offended that the term Greek is associated with asshat frat kids acting like jerks. It offends me as a Greek to be cast in the same light as them.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

glen a richter wrote:Frats = buying friends, and frankly I'm offended that the term Greek is associated with asshat frat kids acting like jerks. It offends me as a Greek to be cast in the same light as them.
LOL, idiot.

glen a richter
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by glen a richter »

OS wrote:
glen a richter wrote:Frats = buying friends, and frankly I'm offended that the term Greek is associated with asshat frat kids acting like jerks. It offends me as a Greek to be cast in the same light as them.
LOL, idiot.
LOL, the response I'd expect from someone who was in a frat.
Sponsor of Joel "Future" HOFer 2023-2024

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

Why am I not surprised that certain LGB members belonged to a fraternity?

:lol: