board fraternity membership

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

richtedm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by richtedm »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
richtedm wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
Ruutu wrote:Waukee, it sounds like you're in it for the right reasons, though. The people I'm referring to are those who DO fit into the stereotype...and there are a lot of them, even some of my friends.

By the way, are you in Bloomington?
yes. SAE.
Phi Alpha
I technically can't say it because we are getting chartered here in Spring (getting back on campus after a really bad chapter got us thrown off) so none of us are full initiates, but I'm a Founding Father here.

Pie Apples :lol:

TG!!!
My name is the first name NOT on the charter. They decided to initiate us the week after we got chartered.

We always went with five apples. Fun times, congrats on the charter. I am still close friends with most of our founding fathers of the chapter, even though they're several years older, and I know it was a big deal for them to put forth that effort and get the charter.
Official All-Time Co-Sponsor of Cam Janssen

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

richtedm wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:yes. SAE.
Sleep And Eats (?? This one was an interesting one)
Same Assholes Everywhere
Sigma Alpha Hairsalon (Thats the name for us at Texas State University)
S Gay E
Sexual Assault Expected (personal favorite, that one came in handy as a paintball team name during a philanthropy event for a sorority... coming in second only to our team the next year called The War Against Terror or TWAT for short)

Theres tons more out there, but I forgot them. I always thought they were funny.
:lol: holy hell is that bad.

Yea, we're really strong on the TG here, we don't want to go down the crapper like the previous chapter here did; and honestly that's why I joined. If SAE here was like it used to be, no way I'd be one :lol:

My fave is "Half the world lives happy and free, the other half is SAE"
Official 2021-2022 LGB Sponsor of Torey Krug
Official 2021 LGB Sponsor of Brayden Schenn
Official 2018-2019 LGB Sponsor of Jaden Schwartz
2018 LGB Playoff Challenge Champ
Official 2017-2018 LGB Sponsor of Vladimir Tarasenko
Official 2016-2017 LGB Sponsor of Scottie Upshall
Official 2015-2016 LGB Sponsor of Kevin Shattenkirk

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

richtedm wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
richtedm wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
Ruutu wrote:Waukee, it sounds like you're in it for the right reasons, though. The people I'm referring to are those who DO fit into the stereotype...and there are a lot of them, even some of my friends.

yes. SAE.
Phi Alpha
I technically can't say it because we are getting chartered here in Spring (getting back on campus after a really bad chapter got us thrown off) so none of us are full initiates, but I'm a Founding Father here.

TG!!!
My name is the first name NOT on the charter. They decided to initiate us the week after we got chartered.

We always went with five apples. Fun times, congrats on the charter. I am still close friends with most of our founding fathers of the chapter, even though they're several years older, and I know it was a big deal for them to put forth that effort and get the charter.
It's a cold hard bitch man- it sucks. You have to build everything from the ground up, nobody has heard of us... its rough. I'm the recruitment chair so I'm (obviously) hard pressed, but we're not doing too bad. At about 20 members right now and I think 30 by February is easily doable.

Nationals also requires us to do eleventy billion things before we can apply for the charter, so we're hoping spring but it may not be until fall. We got some work to do for sure.

What colony and class were you?

ksbluesfan
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by ksbluesfan »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
ksbluesfan wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
ksbluesfan wrote: Pledging loyalty to a bunch of assholes that will forget your name a month after they failed out of their last semester?
Yup, you are the omniscient zen master on fraternity life.
And you say this based on your post-college experience? Send me a PM when you're 40 to let me know how many of your frat brothers are still close friends.
Unless I read it wrong, I believe what you said was "bunch of assholes who will forget your name in a month after failing."

I may not be "great friends" with them at 40 but to say they won't know who I am and that they are all idiots simply shows your hatred at the greek system and nothing like sound reasoning.

In general, how many of your college buddies are you still close friends with? Probably not many. I know this because of my dads, uncles, etc.

At least with a fraternity you have a constant link to your alma matter and make reunions much more enjoyable than they would be without it.
You seem like the frat type.

richtedm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by richtedm »

WaukeeBlues wrote:
richtedm wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
richtedm wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:

yes. SAE.
Phi Alpha

TG!!!

It's a cold hard bitch man- it sucks. You have to build everything from the ground up, nobody has heard of us... its rough. I'm the recruitment chair so I'm (obviously) hard pressed, but we're not doing too bad. At about 20 members right now and I think 30 by February is easily doable.

Nationals also requires us to do eleventy billion things before we can apply for the charter, so we're hoping spring but it may not be until fall. We got some work to do for sure.

Saint Louis University '07
Missouri Zeta
Pledge Class Gamma
Chartered November 2003, my first semester (and pledge semester) at SLU.

There were about 25 guys when I joined, my pledge class had 17.

When I graduated we had 80. IMO, that was way too big. I liked it much better around 40-50. I knew everyones first and last name, major, who had a GF, where they were from, etc. By the end of it I couldnt have told you much about the newer members. I think thats really unfortunate because I think thats how a lot of the stereotypes develope. It gives creedence to what a few people on here are saying and what a lot of people think. So keep that in mind as you guys start getting bigger, remember why you started it. That was the message I gave at the last chapter meeting.

Chudman82
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Chudman82 »

richtedm wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
richtedm wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
richtedm wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote: yes. SAE.
Phi Alpha

TG!!!

Missouri Zeta
Pledge Class Gamma

When I graduated we had 80. IMO, that was way too big. I liked it much better around 40-50. I knew everyones first and last name, major, who had a GF, where they were from, etc. By the end of it I couldnt have told you much about the newer members. I think thats really unfortunate because I think thats how a lot of the stereotypes develope. It gives creedence to what a few people on here are saying and what a lot of people think. So keep that in mind as you guys start getting bigger, remember why you started it. That was the message I gave at the last chapter meeting.
Ah shit SLU in the house. I graduated in '04. I'm gonna have to facebook stalk you now.
I am the way...prepare for, Salvation!
- Fear Factory[Smasher/Devourer]

Blueline29
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by Blueline29 »

richtedm wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:

yes. SAE.
Phi Alpha
Hey, my brother was an SAE at Purdue. How 'bout that.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

richtedm wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
richtedm wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:
richtedm wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote: yes. SAE.
Phi Alpha

TG!!!

Missouri Zeta
Pledge Class Gamma

I'll definitely keep that in mind- thanks.

TSUCookieMonster
All-Star
All-Star

Post by TSUCookieMonster »

Truman State University '07
Beta Theta Pi
Pledge Class Tau

Don't get me wrong, there are a LOT of douche-bags in fraternities (even the one I was in), but at the same time you get to do a lot of shit that you wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to do, and no it wasn't all about drinking. I could have done that anywhere. Our fraternity of approx. 75 had an average GPA of 3.5 or 3.6. It all just depends on where you went to college whether fraternities were good or bad.

[Dooger] 11:53 pm: Thank God you're here! Some Wings fans were in here trying to have sex with me.

richtedm
All-Star
All-Star

Post by richtedm »

TSUCookieMonster wrote:Truman State University '07
Beta Theta Pi
Pledge Class Tau

Don't get me wrong, there are a LOT of douche-bags in fraternities (even the one I was in), but at the same time you get to do a lot of shit that you wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to do, and no it wasn't all about drinking. I could have done that anywhere. Our fraternity of approx. 75 had an average GPA of 3.5 or 3.6. It all just depends on where you went to college whether fraternities were good or bad.
I agree - our biggest goal every year was to have the highest GPA among fraternities. We always finished in the top 3 and would have gotten number 1 but some jackass decided not to take any of his tests, got a 0.0 and sunk the GPA that semester. Guys who didn't have atleast a "B-" (I always thought it should have been a "B" at the minimum) average were asked to re-focus on school before participating fully again. Nobody else ever "failed out" of our frat because you had to have a minimum GPA to be admitted.

I'd also add the cumulative fraternity GPA, at least at SLU, was always significantly higher than the rest of the school's combined GPA. Maybe that stat is misleading because the rest of the school has a bunch more of the jackasses like the one we had too....

Without that kind of attitude towards school I never would have joined.

Blues Fan in SF
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Blues Fan in SF »

I was in a fraternity at University of Missouri - Rolla...it was the best time I ever had in my life...but that campus was so f*cked up...

I probably would not have gone to graduate school and ended up in California working in the semiconductor industry if it weren't for that experience...I got organized, gained leadership ability, and learned how to function in a team atmosphere...all things I would have been very hard pressed to do on my own...

The drinking was insane, though - so many nights I should have died, and yet, did not :lol:

And I think everyone graduates from that place with a minor in social retardation :lol:

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

richtedm wrote:
TSUCookieMonster wrote:Truman State University '07
Beta Theta Pi
Pledge Class Tau

I agree - our biggest goal every year was to have the highest GPA among fraternities. We always finished in the top 3 and would have gotten number 1 but some jackass decided not to take any of his tests, got a 0.0 and sunk the GPA that semester. Guys who didn't have atleast a "B-" (I always thought it should have been a "B" at the minimum) average were asked to re-focus on school before participating fully again. Nobody else ever "failed out" of our frat because you had to have a minimum GPA to be admitted.

I'd also add the cumulative fraternity GPA, at least at SLU, was always significantly higher than the rest of the school's combined GPA. Maybe that stat is misleading because the rest of the school has a bunch more of the jackasses like the one we had too....

Without that kind of attitude towards school I never would have joined.
:plusplus:

We have mandatory study tables and depending on your GPA you have to do so many hours. Example- if you have a 3.5 or higher (I'm in that group; 3.58 :grin: ) you only have to do at least 2 hours a week at the study tables. 3.0 is 4, 2.5 is 6, etc, etc and we'll probably be increasing the hours soon but we definitely reinforce academics too. We've always told any prospective members that school comes first.

the knob
LGB Booster - Yellow
LGB Booster - Yellow

Post by the knob »

WaukeeBlues wrote:My fave is "Half the world lives happy and free, the other half is SAE"
Wow, sounds like my wife's cousin's ex-husband and his frat brothers at their wedding, gathered in a circle singing "whooaooaa we're Sigma Chi" to the obvious Pearl Jam song.

WaukeeBlues
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by WaukeeBlues »

the knob wrote:
WaukeeBlues wrote:My fave is "Half the world lives happy and free, the other half is SAE"
Wow, sounds like my wife's cousin's ex-husband and his frat brothers at their wedding, gathered in a circle singing "whooaooaa we're Sigma Chi" to the obvious Pearl Jam song.
yea, Sigma Chi is a big one.

That phrase is actually a put down on SAE, its nothing we say about ourselves to brag.

Tezmyster
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by Tezmyster »

I love Greek, plenty of hot girls in that show..

[img:512:356]http://tv-mafia.com/series_images/Greek.jpg[/img]
[img:285:206]http://images.eonline.com/eol_images/En ... 073107.jpg[/img]
[img:685:1024]http://l.yimg.com/img.tv.yahoo.com/tv/u ... 122617.jpg[/img]

Donuts_For_Koharski
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Donuts_For_Koharski »

glen a richter wrote:Frats = buying friends, and frankly I'm offended that the term Greek is associated with asshat frat kids acting like jerks. It offends me as a Greek to be cast in the same light as them.
I knew just as many indepentants that were jackoffs. They just didn't have to deal with the scrutiny of the university when they had their off-campus keggers. You get a group of 60-70 guys in their late teens/early 20's, you are going to have a good percentage of a-holes, whether they wear letters or not.

I love people that have uneducated positions like yours. I never dogged someone for not being Greek. I had good friends that were not. I was very happy when the non-greek ladies from the volleyball, gymnastics, and cheerleading teams showed up at our parties every Friday night. It's not for everyone, and every chapter is different. There are great leadership, social, and professional benefits from these associations. My closest friends are guys that I went to college with. Like I said, to each their own.