Report: Glaus for Rolen

Discuss the latest video games, other sports, entertainment, movies, and any [OT] stuff.

Moderator: LGB Mods

Ruutu15
LGB Booster - White
LGB Booster - White

Report: Glaus for Rolen

Post by Ruutu15 »

:carrot: :woohoo: :banana:

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=227139&hubname=

According to Foxsports.com, the Blue Jays and Cardinals are closing in on a deal that would see the teams swapping third basemen.

According to the report, both players have agreed to waive their no-trade clauses and both would have to pass a physical before the deal could be completed.

The Blue Jays could also get money back from the Cardinals in the deal to help bridge the difference in the contracts. Rolen has three-years and $33 million left on his deal, while Glaus' deal is $24 million over the next two - including an $11.25 million option for the 2009 season.

The 32-year old Rolen has been in a public feud with manager Tony La Russa who benched him in the 2006 playoffs because of Rolen's injured shoulder. Most recently, La Russa accused Rolen of being the only Cardinals player who didn't want La Russa to return as manager.

Rolen, hit .265 in 112 games last season with 8 home runs but went on the disabled list on August 31, 2007. In mid-September, he had shoulder surgery.

The 31-year old Glaus hit .262 with 20 home runs in 2007. Glaus played in 115 games, and a deal to St. Louis could help Glaus' knee/foot issues as the Cardinals play on natural grass.

Calhoun
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Calhoun »

I love this deal it ends the stupid feud between TLR and Rolen...
Glaus is an above average defender but not quite as good as Rolen.
With a legitimate power bat to protect Pujols look for Albert to have a big year!
I cant wait until April!!!!!!!!!!!
Jefferson Smith: it's not too late, because this country is bigger than the Taylors, or you, or me, or anything else. Great principles don't get lost once they come to light. They're right here; you just have to see them again..

goon attack
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by goon attack »

THUMBS UP

BYE ROLEN, ya big BABY!
Official 2023-'24 Sponsor of: Dua Lipa, Craig Berube, and yoga pants

'22-'23: Kim Wexler; '21-'22: Slayyyter; '21: fat chicks and covid-19; '19-'20: Taco Bell's Spicy Tostada (discontinued); '18-'19: Bhad Bhabie; '17-'18 Pitbull.'16-'17: Donald J. Trump, Black Lives Matter, and Karlie Kloss; '15-'16: the Hadids; '14-'15: $17.8+ trillion U.S. national debt; '13-'14: another season of bitter disappointment; '13: communism; '11-'12: Vlad Sobotka and fake, drunken lesbianism; '10-'11: Ryan Reaves, Bo Derek's cans, Willow Palin, and the new Lightning logo; '09-'10: the epic destruction of the Politics Forum; '08-'09: Sandy Miller

tsblue
LGB Booster - Blue
LGB Booster - Blue

Post by tsblue »

Calhoun wrote:I love this deal it ends the stupid feud between TLR and Rolen...
With a legitimate power bat to protect Pujols look for Albert to have a big year!
Great deal. One year for Glaus, three for Rolen. End of story.
Glaus is no "quite as good as Rolen" on defense...he is not in the same universe. Doesn't matter...frees up cash to get some players when it matters...in 09 and 10.

OS
Hockey God
Hockey God

Post by OS »

According to a source with knowledge of the trade, the Cardinals only signed off on the deal after Glaus agreed to exercise his $11.25 million option for 2009.
The Original Sponsor of T.J. Oshie

cprice12
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cprice12 »

Good.
See ya Rolen.

Take your bum shoulder and go whine and cry somewhere else.

Yearly salary isn't that different, and there is one less year on Glaus' contract.
We have a better bat in the lineup now.
And last year, their fielding % was almost identical. Rolen wasn't the stud defensive 3rd baseman last year that he had been in the past.

This could end up being an excellent trade. IMO, Rolen is damaged goods.
LETS GO BLUES RADIO
LIVE weekly broadcasts on YouTube & http://www.LetsGoBlues.com/radio!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/curtprice
Lets Go Blues Radio Twitter: https://twitter.com/lgbradio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cprice12/
Lets Go Blues Radio Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/lgbradio/

Carl Racki
All-Star
All-Star

Post by Carl Racki »

I agree that Rolen needed to go, but now that Glaus is off the juice, his power numbers will not return to their 01-05 levels...still, he should be able to maul lefthanded pitchers...

Calhoun
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Calhoun »

tsblue wrote:
Calhoun wrote:I love this deal it ends the stupid feud between TLR and Rolen...
Great deal. One year for Glaus, three for Rolen. End of story.
Glaus is no "quite as good as Rolen" on defense...he is not in the same universe. Doesn't matter...frees up cash to get some players when it matters...in 09 and 10.
If you look at both players fielding stats Rolens advantage over Glaus doesn't look that much better. Like cprice said up above he hasn't been as good since he got hurt.............There is no doubt Rolen is better but if you look at the stats hes not that much better.........
Also I heard that the Cards would only trade for him if the option was picked up in 09 which is fine because we have noone in the farm right now to take over for him...
Jefferson Smith: it's not too late, because this country is bigger than the Taylors, or you, or me, or anything else. Great principles don't get lost once they come to light. They're right here; you just have to see them again..

Leedog
Hall Of Fame
Hall Of Fame

Post by Leedog »

I hope for the Blue Jays sake Rolen washes his pussy on the way north.
Unofficial sponsor of Sarah Palin for PILF '12

Calhoun
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Calhoun »

Leedog wrote:I hope for the Blue Jays sake Rolen washes his pussy on the way north.
Not gonna happen................ he whined his way out of Philly, He whined his way out of STL and sooner or later he will whine his way out of Toronto...............